Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Seriously, I don't know where to begin to express how disappointed I am in this phone. Thoroughly regret not getting the Lumia 920 at the time. I chose the 8X as I liked how it felt in my hand better and reviews were (in general) very positive. But once again, I was proven that reviews don't tell you anything about long term use. I really like WP8, despite its flaws and don't plan to go back to iOS anytime soon, but this will have been my last HTC phone.

I bought the phone in January this year, so pretty much 6 months ago and the list of stuff that is malfunctioning, performing sub-par or straight up broken is long.
    • Black coating has come off all 4 corners, revealing the shiny black plastic underneath. Hideous.
    • The loudspeaker started rattling and sounding distorted a few months in.
    • The loudness level when making a call is waaaay to low. Never had this issue with other phones.
    • Screen scratches very easily, dispite never placing it in my pocket near keys or coins
    • Still suffers from random reboots... seriously, they had enough time to fix this.

Buying a Lumia 925 or the new 1020(?) as soon as I can.
    Thanked by:
    Adrian Luna likes this.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience! I have had my 8x since day 1. Haven't had a major issue. Maybe I'm lucky. Hope you enjoy your Nokia Lumia when you get your hands on it!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    That does suck. My 8x has been favorite. Had the reboots for only two weeks about four months ago, then they just stopped. You're right; the screen does scratch easily. I think gorilla glass 2 is better than 3. The only complaint I have is no Nokia apps. My next phone will definitely be a high end Nokia, but not for awhile. I doubt you'll be disappointed by a Lumia 1020.

PIN
    No
    Odd. I've had the black 8X since launch and don't get these issues. I had the random reboots, but that largely disappeared with the portico update.

You should still have manufacturer warranty, so why not get another device?
    Pete________________________________________
    Lumia 1520 | Surface 3 Pro | Xbox One | Office 365
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Phone Consumer

Sorry to hear about your experience, but surely it's still under warranty and you can taken it in for repair?

The speaker issue alone is enough to cover that and who knows, you might e lucky and get a replacement device.

My experience has been the other way around. The 8X is (by far!) the best phone I owned.

After 8 months my phone still looks like brand new, mainly because the soft coating gives me enough grip to be almost impossible to drop it without doing it on purpose. On hands feel of this phone is 10/10, better than anything else. No reboots (I reboot it manually every few weeks anyways whenever I deploy a new app - I'm a developer). Screen has very few hairline scratches but looks like it's on the oleophobic coating, not the screen itself. Battery has enough juice for a full day. Loudspeaker is fine. Sound quality is just fine, but sound levels are awesome.

My only complaint is the Beats Audio notification that pops in whenever I plug my headphones. And of course the lack of support from HTC - seems they have thrown the towel on the WP8 platform while Nokia is at full throttle with its exclusive apps and Amber update.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    I also own this phone since last year and I've had only one major problem: The famous "Sim Error" errors with corresponding reboots. After HTC showed me a very cold shoulder I applied the "tape fix" and the problems were gone.

I still have a reboot about every two weeks, but else the device works fine. I always carry the phone in my pocket with no case, and I only have one minor scratch on the screen. Apart from that the phone looks like new.

I have never regretted the purchase within the Windows Phone "realm" (speaking of Nokia as an alternative), only the very slow pace of Microsoft in general is frustrating me.

I love Windows Phone but I would agree this is the last HTC product I will likely ever own. I wish the Nokia phones came in a better form factor when they were first released. My blue coating is coming off on at least one corner, I have light leaks on the bottom the screen, and somehow a couple cracks have appeared in the screen near the very bottom. I will say the phone stays in my pocket 95% of the time and I do not use a case or screen protector.

I have had a few of the SIM errors and after 6-7 months I've only had maybe two random reboots. So I've been pleased with the software/reliability aspect of things but not so much the physical phone itself. I love the form factor of it though. And it's definitely not the worst phone I've owned.
    Thanked by:
    Ray Adams likes this.
    my htc is acting like ****e! I only have like 500MB of free space because everything goes into the other %$%#& thing! and my screen has a internal crack after a week(note that my phone never drop on the floor or something), if i plug in my htc headphones I can't hear anything!
    Last edited by eric12341; 10-05-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Love mine! Perfect size, great battery life, near zero problems. Love the wireless charging (Verizon edition). Sorry to hear your experience has been otherwise.

I've been lucky to have owned my 8x since release day with no cosmetic or functional issues. Been actually trying to find reasons to get a 928.
    metalchick719 likes this.

Also love mine, had absolutely no problems with him, only that Nokia drive would be good to have...

i'm on my 3rd now and starting to have issues again

1st: power button stopped working correctly, had to either hold camera button to unlock or repeatedly press power until it worked.
    2nd: microphone and speakers did not work correctly. sound was awful
    3rd: started having SIM errors, losing network coverage and randomly unable to send SMS (receiving ok)

Quote Originally Posted by asosko View Post
    Also love mine, had absolutely no problems with him, only that Nokia drive would be good to have...
    You know that Nokia Drive is available for the 8x, right? It's called HERE Drive now, which may be why you couldn't find it. Or maybe it's not available in your region? Anyway, here's a link:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...1-28018fcea606
    This is the first time I've heard of someone disliking their 8X this much. Clearly this is your unit and not the HTC 8X line itself.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

eric12341 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Willyman View Post
    Seriously, I don't know where to begin to express how disappointed I am in this phone. Thoroughly regret not getting the Lumia 920 at the time. I chose the 8X as I liked how it felt in my hand better and reviews were (in general) very positive. But once again, I was proven that reviews don't tell you anything about long term use. I really like WP8, despite its flaws and don't plan to go back to iOS anytime soon, but this will have been my last HTC phone.

I bought the phone in January this year, so pretty much 6 months ago and the list of stuff that is malfunctioning, performing sub-par or straight up broken is long.
    • Black coating has come off all 4 corners, revealing the shiny black plastic underneath. Hideous.
    • The loudspeaker started rattling and sounding distorted a few months in.
    • The loudness level when making a call is waaaay to low. Never had this issue with other phones.
    • Screen scratches very easily, dispite never placing it in my pocket near keys or coins
    • Still suffers from random reboots... seriously, they had enough time to fix this.

Buying a Lumia 925 or the new 1020(?) as soon as I can.
    I've also owned an 8x since January and I haven't experienced any of them problems with my 8x. The only minor issue i have is with the OS, the 'other storage' issue. My other storage is above 7GB leaving me with below 100MB.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    My HTC Titan also suffered from random reboots. You'd could try calling HTC to see what you're options are but I don't think anything on your list will warrant a full replacement.
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    875 Global Posts
    I'm a HTC owner too but with Android. I see that no matter what OS the same complaints follow HTC. Some have no issues, but others are like you. I didn't have any issues until my first replacement. Now I can't wait for my upgrade to the NEO.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Unfortunatly, the only thing HTC is good for is nice LOOKING devices, not nice WORKING devices. With WP, the only way to go is Nokia.

my first real smart phone was the htc hd2 it was the best id ever owned, only flaws was its os, which i hack win7 on it I probably would still have it except I dropped it face down on a tile floor and it shattered the screen , I took it to a shop but that make it worse, left stuff off of it, I eventually gave up on it and got the lumia 900. Its been great but isn't upgradable to win 8 so im gonna have to get a new phone soon, its probably gonna be a Nokia the reason why other than the obvious reasons is, Nokia seem to more into win 8 than even ms is, they constantly doing stuff to improve the win 8 ecosystem to me even more than Microsoft seems to be doing. none of the other oem seem to take win 8 seriously except Nokia. I never even seen the samsung win 8 phone in person and it was announced first before Nokia. And when htc releases there to me they are like here it is , but your own your own with it.

Global Posts
    3,498 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    I am so depressed by this. I have suffered through an original Titan with my wife- audio issues galoore- and then the T2. The T2 is mine now,and there are things I love about it. It just FEELS like a real device. I love the looks and way HTC does hardware.

But I have camera issues- unless you hold this thing perfectly still, it is out of focus. (Excellent photos when it takes a good one, though) It will not send or recieve media through texting. It's audio in the ear is miserable. It has lag in typing and responding to the "back-home-bing" commands.

Throw in no updates or software fixes, HTC has ruined it for me. I was glad to hear the 8X and the 8S were well recieved, but again support is lacking.

OP- hope you are in a position to get the Nokia of your choice. Glad you are not holding WP in general to blame for a bad HTC device.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    I'd have to agree with the OP. Absolutely the worst phone I have ever owned. (And I had an enV 3 back in the day.) My screen is scratched to hell, even though I only ever put it in my front pocket with nothing else in it. It's incredibly buggy, and I know it isn't WP8. I can't even scroll through my home screen without it freezing up or stuttering sometimes. My phone app completely freezes when trying to hang up at least once a week. It will continue the call for sometimes up to another five minutes, even after the other line has hung up. Other (stable) apps crash pretty frequently. The volume control seems completely arbitrary - volume 25 will sometimes sound like volume 3 on any given day. Random reboots.

I will never again buy an HTC phone.

I read on a similar forum, though, that someone visited a Microsoft store and was able to exchange it for a Nokia 822... I don't have a Microsoft store in my area, but does anyone else have any similar experiences? I'd love to get rid of this awful phone, but I don't want to leave WP.

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    That's crazy. I don't have any of the problems you do. However, I do have the problem where the phone's finish turns dark. One part - the random reboots - I found that a hard reset fixed that issue for me. I'll say that there is a lot that I am disappointed with by the 8X, though. Nokia would have been a better choice in my opinion. They're invested in the platform and are providing updates for their phone. The 8X however, is pretty far behind.

It's amazing how similar this thread is to numerous threads over on the Nokia 920 forum, expressing the opposite desire :)

I've owned my fair share of HTC devices (most recently the HTC Titan, running WinPhone 7.5 - prior to that several WinMobile 6x versions) and I have found that HTC build quality can leave a lot to be desired. If you are careful with them, they hold up for a couple years. If you don't, you'll wear them out in 6 months. You might have better luck with any "solid" phone (like a lumia.)
    metalchick719 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    My 8X is pretty solid. More so than the 822 I had before. Reading through the device forums would lead you to believe all windows phones are horrible devices, Nokia included. Unfortunately each manufacturer has their share of flaws. The only thing I like better about the 920/928 series over my 8X is the extra storage and low light camera performance.
    eric12341 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast