newb problem - can't get any headphones to work

The_Tater

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
searched all over in here for issues with headphones but everything seems predicated on the assumption that your headphones actually get audio to them.

My problem, all sound (incl. phone calls, notificaitons, local music files, pandora) goes through either the regular phone speaker on the front or speaker phone on the back of the headset. I've tried 3 sets of earbud headphones (shaper image, ironman, iPhone) and none of them will get audio.

About phone, brand new 8x on verizon. all updates have been installed from store. only a few additional apps installed from store.

I don't see anything about enabling/disabling headphones in the settings area. Pandora, Phone and Music apps don't have any help/config items for it either (that I can find). Beats simply says that "Beats Audio is not available for phone speaker", and will not allow me to enable it (thus currently Beats is turned off). Don't really care if Beats is on or not, will make that determination on how I like the sound after I can get my headphones working.

Thanks for the help gang.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
It should just work, and I cant find anyone else with the same problem, so it could be something wrong with your phone :cry:

The_Tater

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Interesting update on this (might already be known) but BlueTooth audio connections appear have precedence over wired audio. When I connected my phone to my PC over bluetooth, the audio playback for music and pandora worked by streaming over BT to my PC speakers even with wired headphones plugged into the handset. This may be invalid since my wired headphones appear to not work anyway, but would be interesting to see if anyone could validate the hypothesis.

The_Tater

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
found this thread at VZW forums: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/949739#949739

seems others have had problems with the headphone jack. I blew into the jack hole (insert laugh) to ensure there was no pocket fuzz in there and plugged in my headphones, nothing. Then gave them a few twists and LO, got a notification that beats was enabled and audio was available through wired headphones. well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 8x headphone jack design might be a bit on the value engineered side and not very reliable. Will probably take the phone back to get a replacement and see if I have the same problem.

Good luck all

chomsky11

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I just replied in another thread about this...I no longer get sound through my earbuds after 4 months with the phone. I too believe the 3.5 mm input is crappy (if you look at it it's sloped with the contour of the phone rather than flush, possibly part of the problem). I too now am going to have to try to exchange an EOL device with T-Mobile or be stuck with a device that can't play audio, which for a basically new device is ridiculous.

chomsky11

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Which is also a ridiculous for a supposedly "flagship" WP8 device. I called TMo and they're sending me a replacement phone, we'll see if it does the same thing. Disappointing, HTC.

PCUser271

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. I was also suffered from this problem. No sound coming out from the earphone. Then i send my phone tu htc centre. Took about a month. They change the "something" board idk. Maybe the audip jack board. Then, all ok.

chomsky11

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Just got it today. Seems to working OK, but the brand new one I exchanged did so at the start too, and within a few months stopped recognizing headphones. "Crackle" issue is still there, this must be an across the board issue with the phone. We'll see how it pans out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3