GDR2 Update for 8X

erenahmetoglu

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 possibly brings Notification Centers and advanced multitasking on November-December 2013, remember Lumia 920 that runs Windows Phone 8.1 which compiled at May 2013.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Data Sense feature is enabled by the carriers, not Microsoft. If the carriers don't want to bear the cost of implementing the feature, they won't.

jractive

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Enabling/disabling WiFi is definitively quicker, which comes in handy with "Network Dashboard" or other WiFi toggling live tile apps.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Data sense is carrier dependant still so even though its now enabled with gdr2 the carriers still have to allow it. Im on the Beta for the O2 version of data sense and its pretty good and very helpful when im tethering my RT. Maybe start petitioning your carriers to sort it out.

ArjanNL

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I really don't get this.
Why do they do this. Make datasense available for everyone. The Phone can registered his one data use and set possible limits for who wants this.
Why do they need approved make from the providers?

Don't want to say this, but android does has it too. come on

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Just installing the update reduced my "Other Storage" from 4.8 GB to 2.5 GB (which I think is a good thing). After I read the news on WPCentral about the manual deletion of temporary files I installed Make More Space. In the app it shows 56.10 MB, nothing happens when I tap, there's nothing in the options directly.

And I have FM radio now, which I will never use.

So that's the update for me. Of course, after the download it was staying at 100 % percent for over 15 minutes or so, so I went to bed. Sometime in the night I woke up, went to the toilet, and started the update when passing by my phone, and somehow I must have hit something with my little toe. The toe is now blue and swollen and hurts like hell, which meant I wasn't able to go to work today. That's what the update did for me ;-)

shahidw

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was trying to install Nokia exclusive apps, i made some changes on phone after this update. Maybe it causes to that (install root certificate for Fiddler2...).

edit: problem solved itself and I installed Here Drive+ and other Nokia exclusive apps :)

How did u install the exclusive apps

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
This GDR2 Update is a JOKE! Only the radio (who was in WP7), and some bugs I had hoped solved aren't solved. A JOKE! No other term to describe it :-((

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This GDR2 Update is a JOKE! Only the radio (who was in WP7), and some bugs I had hoped solved aren't solved. A JOKE! No other term to describe it :-((

I agree its not a lot but we all knew what was coming

[h=3]Update 8.0.10327.77[/h]Xbox Music. It's now easier to select, download and pin music. Plus, music fans will see more accurate metadata (such as song and album information) and many other performance improvements.
FM radio. Listen to FM radio right from the Music+Videos hub. (Not available for all phones.)
Data Sense. Keep on top of your phone's data usage with Data Sense. You can set a limit based on your data plan or just keep track of which apps use the most data. (Not all mobile operators offer Data Sense.)
Skype. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) apps such as Lync and Skype now feature improved stability and performance.
Internet Explorer. Your web browsing experience is now better than ever with improved HTML 5 compatibility.
Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I did notice my music doesn't distort anymore when I enter mytube or metrotube. Usually I had to unplug my headphones (any) for a moment and replug to fix it, but now it just auto adjusts... Which I find a very nice improvement!

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree its not a lot but we all knew what was coming

Update 8.0.10327.77

Xbox Music. It's now easier to select, download and pin music. Plus, music fans will see more accurate metadata (such as song and album information) and many other performance improvements.
FM radio. Listen to FM radio right from the Music+Videos hub. (Not available for all phones.)
Data Sense. Keep on top of your phone's data usage with Data Sense. You can set a limit based on your data plan or just keep track of which apps use the most data. (Not all mobile operators offer Data Sense.)
Skype. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) apps such as Lync and Skype now feature improved stability and performance.
Internet Explorer. Your web browsing experience is now better than ever with improved HTML 5 compatibility.
Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

Yes we all knew what was coming through WPC and more recently the Windows Phone update webpage but you still hope for something more, particularly when they claim "Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone." I would love to know exactly what this actually means for GDR2.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just installing the update reduced my "Other Storage" from 4.8 GB to 2.5 GB (which I think is a good thing). After I read the news on WPCentral about the manual deletion of temporary files I installed Make More Space. In the app it shows 56.10 MB, nothing happens when I tap, there's nothing in the options directly.

And I have FM radio now, which I will never use.

So that's the update for me. Of course, after the download it was staying at 100 % percent for over 15 minutes or so, so I went to bed. Sometime in the night I woke up, went to the toilet, and started the update when passing by my phone, and somehow I must have hit something with my little toe. The toe is now blue and swollen and hurts like hell, which meant I wasn't able to go to work today. That's what the update did for me ;-)

You called off wwork because you stubbed your toe. Lol, wow! That is lame dude. You must have a money tree in the back you can just pick some money off or something. Soooooo lame.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
what about Lumia 920 I haven't received gdr2 or so called amber update :cry:

I've got the update on my 8x but it is nothing special at all. You have to appreciate that Nokia care about their users and actually continue to add value. Relax; you are going to get GDR2 and Amber which is Nokia's update which actually adds useful improvements and features and fixes. Also, Nokia have a lot more WP devices than HTC does so there's a lot more testing to do. HTC has added zero value to my 8x since launch and since they only have the 8s and more recently the 8xt to worry about, delivering GDR2 is much quicker.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You called off wwork because you stubbed your toe. Lol, wow! That is lame dude. You must have a money tree in the back you can just pick some money off or something. Soooooo lame.

I'm not sure if it is broken, if the swelling does not go down until tomorrow, I'll see a doctor. I can't really walk and I can't put on a shoe. And in Switzerland we are big on public transport what involves a good amount of walking, at least in my case. In addition we have some good social standards here, which helps much in such situations. And if you really want to know: It's my first day off because of sickness since I'm working there, so nobody will even rise an eyebrow (my boss sent me a nice get-well e-mail, lovely people at my workplace).

Well, why do I even explain myself as a response to such a lame post. Let's get back to topic.

Andres_P

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Just get (initiated check by myself) update in Estonia, unbranded HTC 8X , Elisa.
All changes are listed here allready.
However, even when Data Sense is controlled by operator i do not see even application / nor cant download it from store? Is DataSense off for all unbranded devices?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, if your carrier doesn't offer the Data Sense service, you won't see any option at all. It's one of the fixed built-in apps (like the Alarm and Calculator, etc).

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Btw for everyone saying that Data Sense is always carried dependant: it is NOT. I've got an unbranded Lumia 925 and it comes with Data Sense. Updated my old 8X today (also unbranded) and Data Sense is missing there. Both tested using the same SIM card.

So I think it's on Microsoft / HTC / Nokia's hands to decide for unbranded devices, and seems Nokia has opted in while HTC has opted out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss