HTC 8X when is water damage not water damage ?

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Last Wednesday my 6 months old HTC 8X phone which was working perfectly needed charging. After it had been on charge for a few minutes I noticed that the charging light wasn't on, when I pushed the plug in it started to charge, but right away stopped again. After repeating this a few times, when I looked at the usb socket on the phone I could see that the terminals appeared damaged, so that it would only charge if I held the lead pushed in a certain way. On a couple of occasions a month or so I had similar problems getting it to charge, but when I changed the lead everything was fine.

Thursday morning I posted it off to O2 for repair and although their repair tracking website at 10am yesterday morning said that it was not a warranty repair and a quote had been raised. I have had to chase them several times to get more details and finally 24 hours later have only just been told that it is not covered as it has suffered water damage. Apparently there is a sensor that turns pink if water has been present and this is indicating that mine has suffered in this way.

The problem is I live on my own, I am the sole user of the phone, within days of it being purchased it had one of the official HTC gel cases fitted, the front screen has had screen protectors on, whenever I go out of the house, which is rarely as I am disabled with emphysema, it is in a good quality leather case in my pocket, and most important of all it has never been near any water !!! And the phone was working perfectly apart from the connector looking faulty and preventing it from charging, in fact for a good 3/4 of an hour previous to finding it wouldn't charge I was playing a game on it.

Has anyone else had any experience of this sort of thing happening before? Is it possible for these sensors to be faulty and just how much water or condensation does it take to cause the sensor to change ?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't take much, and that's the point (for them). A little bit of sweat, a raindrop, that's all it needs. Even dumber when it's an exterior component like that -- it would be fine, IMO, to have one buried within, but they will put them at the bottom of headphone sockets, etc.

Sorry to hear.

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Glen...

I decided to phone back and complain about the issue as with a phone of this price and quality it didn't seem right.
This time the girl who answered said who todl you it was water damaged, that isnt on the repair sheet, there is no water damage to it, the usb connector is damaged and they consider it not to be covered by the warranty so would be chargeable

I have told O2 to return it to me unrepaired and will send it to HTC UK, because if the connector is not up to normal wear and tear which is all that it has had, then be it a faulty component or a design fault it is not fit for purpose, and will await their comments.

Fortunately I managed to get an ancient Nokia to charge up and with a bit of fiddling got the sim card in the right place .... but how the hell did we cope with phones like that !!!!

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Did you get anywhere with the HTC UK repair centre? My 8X died at the weekend after it was in my pocket when I got rained on. A lot. Given that the location of the water indicator on the 8X means it could get wet, when the rest of the phone is dry, I'm expecting they're going to hit me with a water damage charge.

Trying to decide if I should go this route, or just send it straight to a water repair place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos