Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Did GDR2 Break your HTC 8X

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my phone broke

29 28.71%
  • No, my phone is working fine

40 39.60%
  • Something happened, but I'm not sure whether it was due to the update

12 11.88%
  • Other (I have no opinion, I just like voting on polls)

20 19.80%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

PIN
    No
    I've seen plenty of threads where people have experiences lockups/dead handsets after applying GDR2.

Personally, mine has been acting perfectly fine.

In the interests of examining the scope of the issue, I thought I'd set up this poll.

When you answer, it might be useful to declare your carrier and whether you have a "branded" phone in case any similarities come to light.

Mine is an unbranded handset on EE.

Lumia 1520 | Surface 3 Pro | Xbox One | Office 365

Mine broke, so I had to send it to the servis. I am on simobil (vodafone) Slovenia, and the phone is bought of contract.

Yes, yes it did. Multiple times.
    GDR2 is a ruthless murderer.

White Lumia 930

I voted something happened.
    I have an unbranded 8x in the UK, got GDR2 the day it went live. Phone seems ok except for the odd occasion where the screen would hang requiring a reboot, and battery life seems worse (at least 15% more drainage than before GDR2)

Yes, my phone has crashed twice now since the update. Always when I am playing music. This update is a disaster. My phone will now be out of action for 3 days while the battery discharges. Is it possible to roll back the OS to an earlier versio prior to GDR2?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickDSP View Post
    Yes, my phone has crashed twice now since the update. Always when I am playing music. This update is a disaster. My phone will now be out of action for 3 days while the battery discharges. Is it possible to roll back the OS to an earlier versio prior to GDR2?
    Nope, you're stuck with your expensive paperweight.

Though you could flash the phone to an earlier build I'm sure, but that involves losing all your data, and probably your warranty.

White Lumia 930

Just called HTC tech support. They were hopeless. Not even aware of the problem. All they suggested was "Try turning it off and on again"...

I voted for

Something happened, but I'm not sure whether it was due to the update

I have an unbranded phone which shut itself down once on the the day of the update. (never had problems with it before), but managed to get it back on after holding power button in for 30 seconds or so.

Cant say for certain that it was because of the update, but seems very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Clone View Post
    I voted for

Something happened, but I'm not sure whether it was due to the update

I have an unbranded phone which shut itself down once on the the day of the update. (never had problems with it before), but managed to get it back on after holding power button in for 30 seconds or so.

Cant say for certain that it was because of the update, but seems very likely.
    It's gonna fail again. Trust me,

PIN
    No
    Not for certain. My 8X did this a few weeks before the update. After it powered back up, it's been fine and I've not had any problems since.

I seem to be one of the few people on here with a working gdr2 update on an 8x. I'm surprised that there are more votes for bricking than for fine, although it is early, we'll see how it averages out in a few days.

What's the largest number of days anyone has gone after the update before the bricking? Had my update since the first day it was available for the 8X (like a week?). Should I still be worried or do you think it's fine now? I've been listening to music plenty and have whatsapp installed (but not using it).

PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by Samst22 View Post
    I seem to be one of the few people on here with a working gdr2 update on an 8x. I'm surprised that there are more votes for bricking than for fine, although it is early, we'll see how it averages out in a few days.

What's the largest number of days anyone has gone after the update before the bricking? Had my update since the first day it was available for the 8X (like a week?). Should I still be worried or do you think it's fine now? I've been listening to music plenty and have whatsapp installed (but not using it).
    Your best backing up while every day to be honest, from what i've seen and heard it's random. A cousin of mine bought a 8X pretty pretty damn cheap off Gumtree for 50 quid today running GDR2, That Fool didn't listen! lol. He got it and tried to change his ring tone.. bricked!. He is extremely pissed of right now, I offered to buy it off him but I guess that annoyed him even more.
    Centralised folder for game data + saves, which in turn is backed upto the cloud.

User voice vote link

Vote here for smart dialing!!!

User voice vote link for smart dialing

Vote for Jen Taylors voice in english speaking countries (my ears are still bleeding after listening to UK version of Cortana ) :
    User Voice link

Forum Thread

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    I haven't received the update on my AT&T 8X. Or maybe I have and don't know it?

My phone is working fine BUUUT I have not used Xbox Music since GDR2 (thanks to WPCentral ;))

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickDSP View Post
    Just called HTC tech support. They were hopeless. Not even aware of the problem. All they suggested was "Try turning it off and on again"...
    ha xD hahaahhaaha

mine's on gdr2 and it's been working smoothly:)

Quote Originally Posted by TechFreak1 View Post
    Your best backing up while every day to be honest,
    How do you do a backup?

PIN
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    How do you do a backup?
    I don't bother doing it manually. I just have the backup enabled, and upload photos to SkyDrive when I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by o Aperture o View Post
    I don't bother doing it manually. I just have the backup enabled, and upload photos to SkyDrive when I need to.
    But how?

PIN
    No
    Settings->backup. Tap the options to enable or force backup as desired. Play with the settings, its pretty straightforward

Ah, under Settings. Thanks. People keep talking about backup and I had no idea how to go about it.

Still getting used to this Win8 stuff.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Virgin Mobile unbranded handset here, was listening to XBox Music, i then go to use my phone 10mins afterwards and nadda, nothing completely bricked..............having to send back to Virgin Mobile NOT A HAPPY BUNNY!!

Does this update break all phones or just rubbish HTC trash...........

I used to be a fan of HTC but what with the lack of support and now this crash, I give up!

Why oh why didnt I buy a Nokia............

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I bet my months wages it is the RADIO update within GDR2 that causes the crashes as it is all audio/music related.

PIN
    No
    Unbranded htc 8x running gdr2 since day one and all is fine.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    and my brick has now magically revived itself.......way to go HTC, great feature your phone dies for 24hrs then switches itself back on......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast