Attn: TMO 8X owners! Want to upgrade to the Lumia 925 for $130?

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I know many of you will consider the an insult, that the 925 is an "upgrade", but the camera is much better, has an OLED screen, and has the massive catalog of exclusive apps. For me, its a huge upgrade! I got the 8x within the 1st week it was out, and loved it. That is until the reports of dirty and peeling corners came in. I even went so far as to print my own 3D printed cases that would not ruin the form factor, but that didn't help much. The soft coating still peeled and collected dirt. Also the glass on the face has a bunch of scratching on it.

Before the 8x, I had an HTC HD2 for over 3 years. I sold it in almost new condition for $200 on E-bay when I upgraded! I know how to take care of my phone. Within a month, my 8X looked like hell, and im not the only one. It wasn't long before I was looking for a way out. Today, I just found it!!!!

So I got the premium handset insurance from Tmobile, and decided to use it. They don't care HOW it broke, but will replace it anyways. They charge $130 as a co-pay, but will overnight your phone out. So I finally decided it was worth getting a new phone after I dropped the 8x on its face and shattered the corner. I made the claim, and they said they didn't have any more replacement 8X's and sadly I would need to pick another phone. I had two options. The HTC Sensation and the Lumia 925. What do you think I picked? =)

It will be here tomorrow!!!!

So, if your on TMO, and have the handset insurance and want the 925, you may want to fill out a claim. Make sure the claim goes through though! Ill post again when I get the replacement phone and let you know if its a brand new phone or a referb. Either way, im really happy right now!!! Maybe ill make a 3D printed case for the 925?

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I have TMO and Jump is only $2 more. I upgraded to jump about 2 weeks ago(?) Basically Jump is just an upgraded replacement plan.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have TMO and Jump is only $2 more. I upgraded to jump about 2 weeks ago(?) Basically Jump is just an upgraded replacement plan.

A guy here at work said JUMP was $2 LESS than his insurance plan...he also made it sound like that was a guess...

But he also has a Note 2, so I'd guess that would fall into the most expensive insurance tier possible.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure the jump being $2 more is correct and you can only add jump when you buy a new phone. Store rep said could not add jump to an existing phone. Wife bought a521 this past weekend.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
No I did not have jump. Just the premium protection plan. This is an insurance replacement because I broke the screen.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Well just got my NEW Lumia 925! Really happy with the fit and finish on this thing, but I haven't had much of a chance to play with it. Sadly my car charger that worked fine on my 8x did not like the 925, so I could not play with it much till I got home. Changing from the 8X into the 925 was super easy. I just switched sim cards, logged into my Live account, and restored the 8X backup onto the 925! Some of the HTC apps didn't make it over, but overall the process was flawless.

It seems that the 925 is significantly more snappy. I don't know if its the LTE (Luckly I live in an area were it is), if Nokia uses faster NAND chips, or if its the new phone effect, but its really noticeable!

My only complaint so far is that the aluminum is a LOT more slick then the 8x. Luckly the wake button is on the side, and not the top!

staticK78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You can add JUMP to any existing plan as long as you are on the EIP plan and not the outdated 2yr plan. All you have to do is call 611 and they'll add you on immediately. The only downside is you have to wait 6 months after initial sign-up to take advantage of it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It seems that the 925 is significantly more snappy. I don't know if its the LTE (Luckly I live in an area were it is), if Nokia uses faster NAND chips, or if its the new phone effect, but its really noticeable!

You are noticing Microsoft's OS optimizations that ship with GDR2.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
You are noticing Microsoft's OS optimizations that ship with GDR2.

Thanks! It was puzzling me. One of the things on my 8X that was driving me CRAZY was SLOW SLOW predictive text in the IE address bar. Like I would type wpc and wait and wait. It would come up with www.wpcentral.com but I could not tap on it. I had to wait more. I didn't know if that was just OS "bloat" from having so much in the cache without effectively clearing it or what, but im glad that the 925 is not displaying this. Also weather.com app was extremely slow to load, and E-mails took a long time to sync on my 8x, all of that is damn near instant on the 925.

The "feel" of the 925 vs the 8X is very similar. It has a similar pillow design that's comfortable in the hands, and the 925 feels lighter then the 8X! Considering the BRICK the 920 is, this is a huge advancement. The size is almost identical, with the 925 being slightly shorter but wider.

So far the biggest feature im in love with right now is Glance. It shows a clock on your screen when its asleep. At work, I carry my phone in my shirt pocket and take the phone out to look at the time. This will keep me from hitting the power button to do so. Also, you can set times were its "dim" at night and turns a soft red. Having this on all night only resulted in about 3% battery drain!! OLED for the win!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! It was puzzling me. One of the things on my 8X that was driving me CRAZY was SLOW SLOW predictive text in the IE address bar. Like I would type wpc and wait and wait. It would come up with www.wpcentral.com but I could not tap on it. I had to wait more. I didn't know if that was just OS "bloat" from having so much in the cache without effectively clearing it or what, but im glad that the 925 is not displaying this. Also weather.com app was extremely slow to load, and E-mails took a long time to sync on my 8x, all of that is damn near instant on the 925.

I get that now on my 920 also...I think it is just a factor of ****-poor cache clearing. It is incredibly annoying to try to wait for the autofill in IE. I haven't been able to use that for a couple months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos