Buying HTC 8X

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
We have an 8X in our household and it's wonderful! Sometimes I *almost* regret getting the 920 over the 8X just because the HTC is such a dream to hold and use. The screen looks great, and it is so lightweight it feels really good in daily use. The battery is better than a Lumia as well, or at least seems to be. I know the Lumia needs to be charged several times a day and the HTC can occasionally go two days on one charge (depending on use of course).

Low light photos are, of course, better with the Lumia, but sometimes non-low light and even some night pictures are better on the HTC.

I'm not sure on the processor question, but the only qualm I would have is that HTC is having some issues company-wise and I wonder if they will continue in the WP market long term.

But I can tell you the 8X is a wonderful phone and if I hadn't gone for the 920 because of the camera, I would have probably gone with the 8X.

Either way you go, hope you enjoy the Windows Phone experience!

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
My heart says go to 8X... Seems like I'll go with it.. Just the storage seems a problem if I want to do gaming on my phone..

Sent from my ST25i using WPCentral Forums mobile app

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My heart says go to 8X... Seems like I'll go with it.. Just the storage seems a problem if I want to do gaming on my phone..

If you want better storage, go for the ATIV S as it is basically a bigger 8X but with a removable battery, AMOLED - beats audio. But I do recommend the 8X but you may want to get a case when you buy the phone as it is abit slippery when you first hold it.

To all the Nokia fanboys here, stop shoving Lumias down everyone's throat. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so if OP wants to buy a 8X, STOP saying "dont buy the 8x, the 920/820/lumia is better than the 8x in blah blah blah". Its really annoying and its starting to grow in this forum and on YouTube on comparison videos. If OP wants an 8X, you RECOMMEND another phone, not force them into getting a phone they probably might regret getting. Simply say e.g "The 8X is great, but why don't you try the *insert phone here*" instead of saying "the 8x has no pureview, no pro cam, no amber yadda yadda yadda. don't buy it, buy the blahblahblah". You sound like you are commanding them which new users here won't like.

Nokia makes Lumias. But their fanboys are WAY more annoying than iFans or Fandroids

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If you want better storage, go for the ATIV S as it is basically a bigger 8X but with a removable battery, AMOLED - beats audio. But I do recommend the 8X but you may want to get a case when you buy the phone as it is abit slippery when you first hold it.

To all the Nokia fanboys here, stop shoving Lumias down everyone's throat. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so if OP wants to buy a 8X, STOP saying "dont buy the 8x, the 920/820/lumia is better than the 8x in blah blah blah". Its really annoying and its starting to grow in this forum and on YouTube on comparison videos. If OP wants an 8X, you RECOMMEND another phone, not force them into getting a phone they probably might regret getting. Simply say e.g "The 8X is great, but why don't you try the *insert phone here*" instead of saying "the 8x has no pureview, no pro cam, no amber yadda yadda yadda. don't buy it, buy the blahblahblah". You sound like you are commanding them which new users here won't like.

Nokia makes Lumias. But their fanboys are WAY more annoying than iFans or Fandroids

Well said. I saw this the same sort of Sheepishness on another OP thread when they were debating 820 vs Ativ S. The OP was saying that where he was from both cost the same price. People were pitching the Glance feature and the vaunted OEM support like it was the greatest thing since the microwave.

Honestly, the only phones that could help the OP from a storage perspective based on the gaming needs would be a 920/1020 or Ativ S. Ativ S is a great choice because at least he's got more space with the SD slot, although the 8X is still lighter than the Ativ S.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Well nah.. Ativ S is ugly imo so I'll just go with 8X. I'm not that much of gamer so I won't have that much problem with 8X.. About Nokia well they might be right about Nokia's support and exclusive apps. In fact I'd like to have a Lumia but the only Lumia I like is 925 and way out of my budget and 520 which is so low end and music quality sucks.. And I'm getting 8X at 820's price so I can give up on some things that lumias offer.. Basically I need a beautiful looking phone with beautiful UI that's what 8X is on which I'll do some web browsing, FB and casual gaming and music mostly. I'll be constantly synching photos and videos taken with phone with my lappy and I keep changing music on my phone so storage is not a big trouble for me.. So I'll go with 8X.. I'd really like a phone similar to 8X from Nokia but there isnt one and I'm not into waiting anymore so... 8X I'm coming... :)

pjotr11

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
My wife has the htc and I have the nokia 920. The htc 8x was returned 3 times and in the end they did a boardswap and that solved the problems. the 920 was send back once (flash not working). overal I would say that the 920 is better build quality the nokia software included in their phones makes the diffrence however, I must say that removable battery and a sd slot was high on my list but the ativ was not for sale at that time, maybe the 820 suits your needs.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My wife has the htc and I have the nokia 920. The htc 8x was returned 3 times and in the end they did a boardswap and that solved the problems. the 920 was send back once (flash not working). overal I would say that the 920 is better build quality the nokia software included in their phones makes the diffrence however, I must say that removable battery and a sd slot was high on my list but the ativ was not for sale at that time, maybe the 820 suits your needs.

It doesn't matter how much support or how great the software Nokia provides, 8GB internal is 8GB storage. Remember, the OS does not allow apps on the SD card. As the OP clearly said, the 920 is out of his price range. At least with 16GB internal on the 8X, he can maybe do less music if he wants to do more gaming. It's not a 822 he's looking at here.

pjotr11

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
16 gb internal is a bit small as well since the os is also on it. I forgot apps dont go on the sd card. We had a lot of trouble with the htc (after the boardswap none). Its an appealing phone but I have my doubts about its reliability. Another thing with confuses me: in europe htc 8x doesnt come with wireless charging and correct me if I am wrong in the usa (verizon) wireless charging is supported, why isnt this feature supported on all carriers?.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If you want to get technical, you're looking at around 14.56GB on the 8X vs 7.44GB on the Lumia 820. They're BOTH small if you consume a lot of media, but hey, the extra 7GB of difference counts for something.

HTC wasn't thinking. The 8X should have had wireless charging standard on ALL models. Verizon requested that it was added for theirs only, probably as a part of the contract.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yea, definitely. That would've been a huge huge plus if they did.

You remember when the 8X was debuted Nokia pulled an Apple and screamed how HTC infringed on their "use of colors in the rainbow in a polycarbonate covered electronic device"? From a practical perspective, this would have been huge for 8X users. From a marketing perspective, all the N-Sheep would have howled how HTC copied Nokia. The wireless charging is the sole reason why I own a Verizon model and not a t-mo one.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Dude, I've honestly had 7 8Xs.. Some issues I caused, some were factory.. I've loved each and every one. I have 200+ apps and games with over 2gb free.

It feels yummy and sounds frickin awesome with Beats!!

Do it!!

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Is there possible to continue Abhi_k4's thread with some questions?

I'm also in doubt about buying this phone, here's my versus lists:sweaty:

pro's:
- price
- 720 screen
- great audio setup
- native MS Office support
- decent camera
- cool looks

con's
- only 16GB with no sdcard
- less apps than on Lumias
- lock buttuon on top
- not sure the Win Phone is not too restricted for me

If you are so kind can you help me clear some issues?
1. With beats ON or OFF while playing a song with volume on minimum (0), there are some noises?
2. This phone has after all a light notification for calls/SMS's?
3. How hard is to operate the phone with one hand and especially to unlock it and us it?
4. Nokia apps I've heard it will me available for 8x only forsome markets. Can I set a specific region on the phone in order to get the app?
5. Can you tell me what specific model of the phone has 4G?

Thanks for you help!:smile:

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well I don't mind continuing my thread and yeah guys I'll keep you informed which one I get.. Thank you for the help..
@ktysai your question no. 2, no there is no notification light for any Windows Phone for calls and messages..
Your question no. 3, Even I'd like to know the answer of it. It's a beautiful phone but too big for the screen size, at least that's what looks like from the pictures, I wanna ask do we really feel that it has big bezels when looking at the phone in real?

Svetoslav Enkov

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
As for a LTE (4G) you could check in store even without a sim card inserted with Settings-About-More Information and look at Chip SOC version. If it is a 8260A - this is only HSPA+ 3.5G version, if it shows a 8960 - this is a LTE version, but you need to consult what band and carrier support it does really have implemented in hardware. The antennas and the RF parts are different for all LTE bands combinations.

HSPA+ (H+) is 42Mbps at maximum (theoretical) and is really as fast as 25-30Mbps at some arreas. It is really fast. I have european H+ version with 8260A and I am very satifsied.

As for a theme OP - 8X is very cheap now (unlocked with contract of low price per month) so I decide do get a 8X. I want a Lumia 925 but it is a way expensive - twice at least (369 levas compared to 800 levas).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99