I own a Lumia 1020 but...

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a shot at getting an HTC 8X for a really cheap price. For those that have owned an 8X (AT&T) and either still own it or perhaps left for another device, do you have any opinions you could share?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
So you want to get rid of the L1020 for an 8X? You do what you want but I would advise looking at some of the past posting regarding the 8X. Many are not good from a device quality standpoint.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So you want to get rid of the L1020 for an 8X? You do what you want but I would advise looking at some of the past posting regarding the 8X. Many are not good from a device quality standpoint.

We don't know. Maybe he's looking for a second device as a backup.

Lumia 8x

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Anyone who saw my phone including iPhone 5 users said they like my phone. I have red color and this thing is so thin and light but not too light compared to galaxy its just so hot. I have nothing bad to say about this phone.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If you get an 8X, you should at least get the one that was on sale the other day. Posted here at wpcentral, search for it. It was 179/89 (new, some carrier/store)bucks and is a world phone. All bands, Verizon/ATT/Tmobile and has wireless charging.

If not, I own a T-Mobile version, bought on day one and its been the best phone ever. I had the S3 too and it ran circles around that in performance and stability. Tmobile version 8Xs has had less problems than any other version. Check forums and carrier websites for your own conclusion if need be.

Its one of the best looking and still has a class leading 2.1mp ffc. Pictures in lowlight are way better than stock due to more settings in 3rd party apps. I've never regretted my decision.

martan1981#WN

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I owned it for a few months. Overall not bad phone.
Pros:
Thin, light, good build quality, good camera,
Cons:
Sharp edges so not very comfortable to hold, position of the power button, not easy to press power button because it's so flat.
If you can live with the cons, which you can try in any shop, I'd recommend this phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not looking to get rid of my Lumia 1020 by any means. When I can procure a device inexpensively and the conditions are right, I would be a fool to pass on it unless there are some things I should consider about the 8x that I woudln't have otherwise thought of. The benefit of having a secondary phone means I have a spare around when my wife needs one, when I need one or if I need to sell it for cash in an emergency.

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Pros:
- Nice screen/resolution;
- More then decent camera;
- Cool sound;
- Design;
Cons:
- Position of power button;
- HTC as software developer is practically zero if we are looking to Nokia;
- Some call problems after GDR2 update, I hope they fix this;
- Only 16GB.

So and so:
- battery life in normal use can get you a day and something, heavy usage less than 24h.

That's a short review of a nearly one month user :) The software annoyances I have left it to you, as you own a L 1020.

Lumia 8x

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
OK, could you perhaps give a little more feedback than that?

Had 8x since December as well. Battery life will last you day and more with light use, heavy usage under a day like every phones. HTC got really good flash light app for sure! Awesome screen, earpiece can be louder but its about average. Sadly most apps don't utilize the back speaker properly. Quality of the speaker is really good. The side buttons are rock solid clicky, except tbe power button is really numb. Camera is good but low light is questionable. Like I said nothing wrong with going with 8x. Mark my word.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I did not like my windows phone 8x all that much when I had one. I had the red and blue. I like the way it looked and beats audio was nice but I hate reception issues and the camera was subpar compared to nokias efforts.

wtrmlnjuc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I did not like my windows phone 8x all that much when I had one. I had the red and blue. I like the way it looked and beats audio was nice but I hate reception issues and the camera was subpar compared to nokias efforts.

I think you may have had the 8S... the 8X is single tone.

wtrmlnjuc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a shot at getting an HTC 8X for a really cheap price. For those that have owned an 8X (AT&T) and either still own it or perhaps left for another device, do you have any opinions you could share?

Wish the soft-touch held up a bit better in the corners, but overall it's a good phone. The curve of the screen gives it a really sleek look, the matte finish is a soft finish (unlike the hard matte on the 1020). It's really comfortable if you don't grip it hard i.e. held more in a relaxed state along the fingers and palm. Rear shooter is pretty good, but not as good as Nokia's phones. FFC wide angle is pretty neat but I don't use that much, not even Skype. The 16:9 ratio eliminates any bars on the screen while watching most videos.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I have an unbranded 8X and I love it.

Had to apply the SIM tray tape fix due to reoccurring SIM errors and restarts, but that was more or less my only issue with the phone.

The 16:9 ratio eliminates any bars on the screen while watching most videos.

It gives you also more information on the home screen. (About half a big tile in height.)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ive just gone from an 8x to a 1020 so heres what I miss and what I dont

Wide angle front facing camera - The FFC on the 1020 is good but the 8x was better and you could fit a lot more in the shot or more people in Skype chats.
Beats Audio - Yes I know nokia has the equaliser but beats sounds better - and I don't mean just the bass
Feel - obviously the 8x is thinner and lighter than a 1020 but it also feels like the 1020 is going to slip out of my hand - I had a black 8x had no trouble with the covering wearing off and it always felt good in my hand.
Screen timeout - Due to the 8x screen you could have screen timeout set to never - which is great for my use as my phone is front and centre on my desk and always on so I can pick up updates from my live tiles without having to touch the phone - really missing that feature.
Using the phone one handed - 8x is only slightly smaller but it does make a difference.
Weight - while the 1020 isn't heavy I know its in my pocket - when carrying the 8x its hard to know its even there.

What I don't miss

Storage gone from 16gb to 64gb so that a no brainer.
8X screen in sunlight - while it really pops under normal conditions comparing it to the 1020 in sunlight is no contest. 8X really struggles in sunlight. If your out taking photos on a sunny day you going to get decent pictures but you've got no chance of viewing them until you can get indoors.

If your getting one as a second phone just for use when you don't want to carry the 1020 then snap one up especially if you can get one cheap.

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Getting an 8X as a backup phone, if its a great deal is a good move. I have an 8X, had it a couple months now. No issues for me. Only cons I have at all with the phone are the way the buttons are made and placed. Makes accidental hits easy and the power button is not the most simple to press sometimes due to being so flush to the phone. The cameras are good, nice screen, colors look great, runs nice and smooth.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Are all smartphone cameras supposed to be poor compared to Nokia's efforts? Doesn't make it poor. Besides, the Lumias selling point at the time was low-light photography.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234