HTC vs Nokia

martins-m

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am a HTC 8X user for nearly one year. A year ago, when I had to make decision which WP to buy, there were generally three choices HTC 8x and Lumia 820 or 920. I bought HTC because L920 is too big and heavy, but 820 capabilities and performance is weaker than 8X. But now, seeing how Nokia develops special apps and features solely for Nokia phones I feel sad and lonely with HTC. There is no after sales service and development making it less valuable among other WP devices. This is my first and my last phone from HTC.
How do you feel about having your 8X but not having better camera app, glance, HERE, app folder?

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I feel you, I used to have an HTC HD7 when Nokia came along with the Lumia 800 and 900. Now I imagine the difference has only grown more even. I still wouldn't be too unhappy, the 8X seems like a nice phone and there's plenty of apps that you can get. There's alternatives for the camera I assume and navigation can be done with other apps too. The way I see it, Glance and App Folder are just novelties.

You still get the great WP8 OS, but I totally understand your pain which is why I made the decision to jump to Nokia as soon as I could upgrade again. Try to be happy with what you have, you've got a nice phone with plenty possibilities. Your next one will be even greater ;)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey Martin let me share my experience. When I visited store to buy a new phone,they showed me android phones,but I asked them to show something new. They told me about windows phone,lumia 920,820 and HTC 8x. I asked them to compare them and choose the best one. He kept lumia 920 and HTC 8x, I asked now which one is better, since I didn't knew anything about windows phone, he further told me that Nokia have many exclusive apps which are missing on HTC like here drive+,cinmeagraph,pro cam/Nokia camera,mix radio,and many more. Then I asked him about performance and camera , he added here is your lumia 920,he kept HTC aside for that moment. I asked why, he told me that HTC and Nokia both have 8mp shooter,but the quality of images on lumia 920 are jaw dropping,stunning.it has 32gb inbuilt memory with built in wireless charging shell. Also each and every new update I got form Nokia and microsoft(recent black update ) I love it more. Nokia is really doing great work to sell windows phone in market. And , oh yes about the performance it's great hardware , you know windows phone is not resource hungry .i can run any application on it from the store , say HD games like temple run 2,subway surfers,asphalt 8,etc etc.
my next phone will be the upcoming phones by Nokia or Microsoft.
And HTC is not taking windows phone seriously. They are busy on android phones

Last edited:

vinscg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
im a owner of the 8X and i never experienced a reboot by itself or a hang , the pĥone is working great and Beats Audio is a plus!

WPUser3

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Nokia definitely pushes the Windows Phone platform forward. I also recently purchased HTC 8X from Rogers in Canada, updated the phone to GDR3 firmware, however it seems that I am missing features that are available in other Nokia devices.. to name a few:

Glance screen
App Folder support
Double tap to wake up phone
Call / SMS blocking
Option to Change the Default Search provider in IE to Google
Nokia exclusive apps (camera, refocus, beamer etc)

There is a heated discussion about it on Uservoice forums see below:

STOP exclusive Nokia-ONLY Apps and Features. – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I originally bought an 8X and while I still have it as a backup phone, I ended up buying a 920. I will say though that the front camera on the 8X is fantastic (especially with that wide angle lens). I've also found that while low light photos are much better on the 920, my daylight photos were actually better on the 8X. But the reason I switched was the software. Nokia exclusive apps like the Nokia Camera app were what lured me over. The 8X is a great device in all regards, but if HTC doesn't increase their commitment they're gonna end up even worse off than they are now (which is a shame because HTC makes some great hardware, like the 8X or the One for android).

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I started with an HTC 8X and was very happy with it. I bought a Lumia 822 on eBay for $139 to test my apps on a low resolution screen since they use Bluetooth and the apps will not work in the emulator. I love the 822 and now use it as my every day phone. I needed a phone with a WXGA screen and no FM radio support so I just bought a Lumia 928 on eBay from Gazelle for $188.

The 928 is spectacular but it is a little big to use as my every day phone so I will probably stay with the 822. So what I would recommend if you can afford it is to buy a used Lumia until the day you can upgrade.

Last edited:

AnthonyWhoso

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I personally enjoy both phones. The 8X build is pretty solid just as the Lumia phones usually are. I have both and I always find myself switching between the two. Battery life on the 8X sucks plain and simple. They should have bumped it up to a 2000mah battery at least. As for my 620,920,1020 the battery life does vary but I will say the little 620 battery life is the best. As for exclusive apps I couldn't really care less. I do appreciate Nokia's navigation apps alot and the Nokia camera is great. Other than that I don't use glance or any of the hit or miss features. HTC sadly has nothing exclusive lol. But at the end of the day they both get the job done and they are both windows 8 phones that will most likely be getting 8.1.

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little bugged about the app exclusivity. I know they worked hard on their stuff and they want to promote their brand so I understand their position. It just bugs me as there are plenty of apps that I would like to use that there are no alternatives to (Zinio comes to mind). Luckily my wife upgraded to a 925 and left me with her 810 so I (sorta) get the best of both.

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I know what you feel. While I'm very satisfied and happy to use 8x, I feel HTC doesn't care at all about WP. No exclusive apps or their own OS tweak like black update for Nokia.

The beat feature is great but the battery is trash. Also, nice design and size which why I didn't buy L920. Max size for me is 4.5 screen and very slim body to use one hand only.

I think all HTC users are going to switch soon unless Sony or another brand starts to make WP device. The only hardware advantage about Nokia is the optical image stabilization camera and the battery.

romeze

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have had the 8x, 822 and 928. I can say that overall I think the Nokia experience is much better. However, I really liked the 8x feel and look. I expect that in the future we will see the nokia apps exclusivity end and we will see something like the hct one running windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs