RIP battery life

BonomDenej

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok so like many of you, my 8X finally got its long awaited 8.1 update during the night of sunday to monday... I wanted to wait several days of normal usage before posting here but... even tho I was kinda expecting that, my battery life just plummets during the day.

I usually use my phone from 9am to roughly 8pm, with at least 1 hour of Spotify (streaming the tracks) with a bluetooth headset and 30 to 45 minutes of MetroTube (on WiFi) during my lunch break. During the rest of the day I use it from time to time to check notifications and I do some text messaging. That usage has been the same for the last year and a half and the battery life has always been steady, getting home with about 50% of battery left, sometimes 40% but never less.

Since the upgrade, I have the exact same daily routine but I finish the day with the phone around 25% of battery left. Right now, it's 2pm CET and my phone is at 57%.

As I said, I was expecting a little bit more of battery usage, but not that much! Before, I knew my phone could last the rest of the day easily as I often go see friends at their place and have my phone at 20% around midnight when I come back home. Yesterday, my phone died at my friends' place at 10pm when the battery was showing 10% left. It went from 10 to 0 in about a minute.

I tried checking the energy saving feature but didn't see anything particular. Just like before, it just gives me the information that it's indeed my Spotify usage through H+ that drains my battery the most, followed by MetroTube. Nothing in the backgrounds eats more than 1% (except OneDrive, which is enabled only through WiFi)... At the end of the day, it's just the OS that drains my battery life.

So... Is everyone like me? Is there a way to get better battery life?

Last edited:

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello.
I can't help you.
I'll just say that I had exactely the same experience while upgrading from 8 to 8.1 with a Lumia 925...
Be happy, you battery seems really great ! The one I had with the Lumia 925 couldn't last a day...

BonomDenej

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My phone is carrier unlocked and right now I'm with Bouygues, a french carrier.

On topic, strangely today my battery life seems back up, almost to what I used to have. I'll keep an eye on that...

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
This is usual after any update...
A few charge/drain cycles will sort it out. WP 'learns' the battery levels over time...

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
when the first update to 8.1 through DP came to my 920, it drained itself in like 4 hours (almost no usage) than an update came, and it went back to normal :) maybe you miss some updates?

BonomDenej

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
No update missed, my phone is completely up to date. So far this morning the battery life seems also fine, like yesterday. It's a good thing, I was getting pissed at this.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No updated missed, my phone is completely up to date. So far this morning the battery life seems also fine, like yesterday. It's a good thing, I was getting pissed at this.

As Geddeeee pointed out, after a few charge cycles it should return to normal. It appears that after every update the o/s completely "forgets" battery level as strange as that sounds but it does happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb