Still Relevant Now?

HiiPower

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone, current android user here. My grandpa (not so techy) gave me an HTC 8X on T-Mobile to sell for him. It's happened before, I have sold his old phones for him. But this 8X really intrigues me. I used it as my phone for most of the day yesterday and I like it. I am on a Moto G 2014. I am interested in Windows Phone, and my question is, would this be a good phone to jump to? It would be extremely easy to purchase this from him. Or is the S4 not enough? and I need to look for an Icon/1520. Thanks.

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, if you are able to get a icon / 1520 then do because of three reasons, 1to enjoy WP use a Nokia/Microsoft device 2a big part of windows phone is the camera and im sure that icon/1520 would fill this 3 the specs are more future proof...hope it helped.and all the Nokia specials like deeeep blacks on the icon and wireless charging on both. Glance on the 1520, double tap to wake and so on...

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Sadly the 8x is quickly forgotten about for two reasons: 1. Nokia/Microsoft dominate the Windows Phone arena and 2. HTC poorly supports their devices, especially their Windows Phone offerings. Personally, the 8x is a great starter phone to test the waters of Windows Phone. It has a decent camera and comes with Qi wireless charging built in. I can't remember if the 8x is eligible to upgrade to Windows 10 technical preview or not but nonetheless, it should have 8.1 and fun to try. I really like HTC phones, I miss my old HD7 & HD2.

HiiPower

May 5, 2015
Visit site
That is another thing, the phone doesnt have to to be TOO future proof, as I will only be using it for around a year. But the design is just so good! And also, it's running Windows Phone 8 as T-mobile abandoned it there. But from what I understand, I could still get 8.1 if i wanted with the developer preview right?

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
That is another thing, the phone doesnt have to to be TOO future proof, as I will only be using it for around a year. But the design is just so good! And also, it's running Windows Phone 8 as T-mobile abandoned it there. But from what I understand, I could still get 8.1 if i wanted with the developer preview right?

Yes you can still get 8.1 through the developers preview. Currently it's up to 8.1 update 1. Sadly that is a very common thing with T-Mobile, they kill all future updates of a device that is either antiquated or doesn't sell well. My old HD7 never received an official update to WP 7.8 from T-Mobile, so I updated it through the seveneighter tool. The killed the Nokia Lumia 810 w/in a year (unable to upgrade past the Lumia Amber firmware update), and the 8x. I was very surprised when T-Mobile pushed the Denim update for my 925.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The 8X is a very nice phone, too bad HTC never supported it fully and TMO EOL'd it too quickly. The TMO version does not have built in wireless charging, only the VZW version did. You can install 8.1 via Preview for Developers, I did that on my 8X. It was used by a family member as a daily phone for 11 months straight without any issues before they decided to upgrade to a Lumia 925. If you can get it for $50-$60 it is a great device for that price. Audio is awesome, camera is so-so. Good luck.

qwertyaa

Banned
Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I will tell you. I have Lumia 1020 for almost a year, but i have my mum hTC 8x, which works perfectly and it is 4.3 inches, which is perfect size for me. Lumia 1020 is to big. Even now I feel uncomfortable to write on this but screen. I still think of switching to 8x. But the camera is not as good as Lumias'. I Audi think about getting an iPhone 5s or Lumia 720. But iPhone is very expensive, in spite of compact size and good camera. I don't like iOS and other ithings. I am European if know what I mean. ;)
But Lumia 720 is mid range device with 512MB Ram. So hTC 8x is maybe good option.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're in the U.S., I'd recommend going for a Lumia 830 (RM-985) variant so you can fully enjoy the fruits of WP without any bugs or without missing something like LTE. You'll get a fast, fluid experience, micro SD support, wireless charging, removable battery, exchangable backs, a 5" display, Glance Screen, and probably the most aesthetically appealing device on the market.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The 8X is a great phone. Comperable, if not better than its contemporary at the time , the Lumia 920.

Stick with the 8x until you feel its limiting you. Don't worry about 8.1 too much. You'll loose the FB and Twitter integration that's baked into the People Hub. If you just "have to" have 8.1 get the Developer Preview. There are minor updates and features within the absolute latest 8.1 but you won't miss them.

PS- Have your grandpa just give you the phone..:)

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Perfect size and fits in the hand like it was born there. And in fact it was... due to 'pyramid stacking' of internal components. Excellent resolution, camera certainly adequate and sound is excellent(Beats). And 8.1 has brought the 8X up to speed w/other current phones. Love it. Gonna ride this baby until the battery runs dead....or until WP10 arrives with a premium phone that is more than just a little upgrade from what I've got now....or not, if nothing substantial is released. At three years of age, the 8X still beats out most all of the mid-level phones released even today as the 'latest and greatest'...<eyeroll>

I am certainly NOT interested in a giant phone that can't fit in my pocket. The Phablet has evolved, both figuratively and literally, into the iAlbatross for the tech obsessed. God save thee, ancient Mariner.

The HTC 8X still has (after 3 years of new phone releases) the speed and capability to provide the mobile communication and entertainment services that I need. For anything else I might need...I step away from my phone or do w/o and step outside.

Outside?????....hmmm what's out there? :)

HiiPower

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, its been a couple months- but I'm doing it. I'm updating to 8.1 and am gonna give Windows Phone a shot. Thanks a lot for all your feedback, you guys are awesome!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The S4 processor is still fine for 8.1. My 1020 runs the latest 8.1 OS very well. A newer quad core phone will be better, but the S4 isn't annoying to use at all. It's quite smooth.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jpharwood

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Please let us know how it works out. I can't tell you how many times I've almost bought one of these on eBay. I'm very happy with the windows phone UI, and have always liked the size and design of the 8x. I think I may make the jump this week, I have a 630 backup if I have any issues...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3