The critical update from Windows.

AndyD14

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else receive the update that's going around today? I had not experienced the issue that is supposedly fixes. Anyone else?

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Ditto here.

Update downloaded sucessfully...
-------------------------------
An update is ready to be downloaded
Windows Phone 8.1 - This update fixes a critical issue that may cause your device to periodically reboot. Please install it now so that your phone will keep working as intended.
------------------------------------------------

.....and tried to install
- 'Preparing to install' progress to 72%...pauses awhile...advances to 78% pauses...finally to 100%
- offers to 'install'....+ ...message indicating that there would be an auto install on the 6/19 if not installed now....
--------------------------------------
An update will be installed at 3:00AM on 6/192015. You can set a preferred time, or tap 'install' now.
This should take 5 to 10 minutes, but could take longer. You won't be able to use your phone while then update installs.
-------------------------------------

- phone restarts...HTC...Verizon.... gears....restart...HTC....Verizon....Windows....lockscreen....
....fails with error(0x80188308)
------------------------------------
Can't update phone
It's probably a temporary problem. Try again, go to Settings > Phone update (0x80188308)
-------------------------------------

Checked update status....
-----------------------------
Sorry, but we are having trouble updating your phone. Please try again in a little while (80188308)
----------------------------

'Learn more' link had no specific info relating to the error code #.
Tried 3 times also. Tried a 4th time w/cellular data off to be sure it was going thru WiFi, also had it plugged in. Should have enough space on phone so that's not it. Failed again, same process.
Guess I'll try again later.

Last edited:

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I Just got this update on my 640 this morning on meteor Ireland,wasn't expecting it on my device,but everything seems to be in order

Bilal34

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Just updated my HTC 8x Verizon it as just 1MB updated, after updated it got stuck on restart pressed power and volume down, phone booted up and intalled updated, restated again, and it working fine now, sadly nothing new.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Same update error continues. Glad to see it's not Verizon mucking up the works. It's supposed to auto install tomorrow early morning, so we'll see.

Googling, I see this same error number associated w/previous other MS updates. Something about insufficient System memory space (not User space)....about which the user can do nothing to reduce. Possible solutions included MS issusing a re-worked update (presumably smaller?) and a complete reset of phone to create enough space I suppose. Don't want to do that just yet especially since my HTC 8X hasn't had the reboot problem (recently at least).

I'd leave things as is except my understanding is that an update not installed blocks future updates from installing???? Anyway, guess I have to wait it out.

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
theones that updated what
OS system are ypu on
mine is
I think I read somewhere the last
3 numbers should be 735 not 341

smogz

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I got it on my 640 this morning, on Telia network in Sweden. No problems installing it. Have not found any visible differences.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
auto install Update...
Auto install also failed w/ same 0x80188308 error. Not surprised. So it's in Microsoft's hands to fix or a complete reset of phone. Not sure if they will respond unless the number of cases gets there attention. Will try a posting on their support site to get it on their radar.

timbo65b

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes. My wife was able to update, I wasn't. Get the 0x80188308 error code. We both have identical phones. I have a lot more apps than she has. Deleted apps - now have 1.7GB free - still no joy. Wheels start turning then phone automatically reboots - just what the update was supposed to correct!! By the way I have been having no issues previously. Is the original problem only on Nokia phones?

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
>timbo65b
I had a few reboot issues awhile back...maybe a month ago, but it has been stable for awhile now.

I posted the issue at MS Support forum.
0x80188308 error at Critical Update for phone reboot issue - Microsoft Community
Maybe if enough people confirm similar issue, MS will address it or someone will post a solution. This error has appeared before for Update 1 and other MS updates in past and MS has re-issued the update to make it install properly.

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I too received the update message that a update was available on my backup HTC 8x. I accepted the update and it proceeded to download, then went to the moving cogs as it was updating. The update failed!. I attempted the procedure again, but had the same result. Then in a last ditched attempt I disabled developers preview and tried to update once more. Updated fine with developers preview disabled.

Last edited:

HTC_8X_User

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Since the successful update I notice the Windows Insider app would no longer do anything if you clicked on it. Had to delete it and reinstall. When I ran it restarted the phone, but it did not go through the original process where it downloaded stuff and went through the gear turning process. It does indicate that I've joined the Windows Insider for Windows 10 though.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett