How is the 8X in 2016

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm about to get an HTC 8X and get back in the WP8 game ( not 8.1 , and God forbid NOT W10M !)

How does it preform now a days as a daily driver? I imagine it does well but just askin'.

Anything to look out for? Doesn't work well anymore? How does the soft backing hold up after a few yrs?

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm not sure how many hits you are going to get regarding this phone, which will celebrate its 4th birthday in November.
The phone isn't eligible for Win10m, officially or through the Windows Insider route. So you don't need to worry about that, unless you go down one of the hacker routes.
I would imagine a clean install would perform well on WP8 (not sure why you don't want WP8.1) as the phone is still a decent spec to run it.
The thing to watch out for (IMO) would be the battery life, as you are buying an old phone (Even if advertised as new, the model hasn't been manufactured for a couple of years).
Also I had a HTC 8S and the power button started to go a bit temperamental (as it is the only way to power the phone on with no double tap to wake feature).

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm not sure how many hits you are going to get regarding this phone, which will celebrate its 4th birthday in November.
The phone isn't eligible for Win10m, officially or through the Windows Insider route. So you don't need to worry about that, unless you go down one of the hacker routes.
I would imagine a clean install would perform well on WP8 (not sure why you don't want WP8.1) as the phone is still a decent spec to run it.
The thing to watch out for (IMO) would be the battery life, as you are buying an old phone (Even if advertised as new, the model hasn't been manufactured for a couple of years).
Also I had a HTC 8S and the power button started to go a bit temperamental (as it is the only way to power the phone on with no double tap to wake feature).

I liked the integration better with WP 8. You lose the Me Tile , which I liked and used a lot. I also liked the aesthetics of 8 better than 8.1. Just a personal preference really...

cjs22

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I recently purchased a used HTC 8x Verizon phone to replace a basic phone line and I am really impressed with it. It has windows 8.1 Lumia denim and is a world phone so it works with cdma and gsm. I really have no complaints in regards to the hardware or software on the phone.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I recently purchased a used HTC 8x Verizon phone to replace a basic phone line and I am really impressed with it. It has windows 8.1 Lumia denim and is a world phone so it works with cdma and gsm. I really have no complaints in regards to the hardware or software on the phone.

Awesome. Good news - It was the best WP (as per many reviewers at the time). Enjoy, I will be joining you soon..Cheers!

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
My mother has had a Lime Yellow HTC 8X for the better part of three years now that I purchased for her back in the day. All the buttons still work like magic, the soft coat is completely intact sans the edges, which have a couple of small dings. Though admittedly the phone has spent the entirety of its life wrapped inside a yellow moshi case. And the phone works like magic, even to this date. 4 years after release. We're moving everyone over to Lumia 640s by the end of the month though, as soon as I'm done setting everything up for her. But thats only because the battery is starting to give out real bad by now and lasts barely a day and a half to a day, even with her light usage, where the phone is mostly in standby and in 2G. If you can source a good as new phone with a battery in good condition, I believe you are good to go. And you wont be regretting the purchase anytime soon. It is one of the best windows phones manufactured to date you know, some of the best design too, right up there with the best Nokias. I mean, we all know HTC does have some of the best design chops in the industry. :)

-- W

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
And on another related note. The DAC on the HTC 8X is just divine, especially considering the age of the phone and the chipset itself. Just set up some digital radio streams for my mother over her phone, hookedup up to her old Sony Stereo, which is almost as old as I am, and was consumer audiophile level equipment 20 odd years ago. Thankfully, its still younger than I am. But that doesnt make me feel any less old now, does it. :(

Anyways, back from the tangent that I was shooting at, the HTC 8X doesnt use the standard S4 DAC from what I can tell just going by ear, and whatever magic HTC worked on that thing besides the software Beats enhancements, really does work its charm. I just stood there listening to it blinded for like five minutes. My old and dying 520 can barely pump any signal to that thing, but the minute I plug her phone in... wet dream!

So yes, thats another thing the HTC 8X definitely has going for it: Some of the best audiophile performance of its generation that you can get/buy/purchase in a phone. Especially if you have a good pair of cans, or a good Amp or even a stereo to route them through to. :)

-- W

206Husky

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I no longer use the 8X as a daily driver, but still have it as a backup. I've used it on my bike with a bike mount, and it tracks GPS well, battery still long enough for about a 3 hour ride with screen on for about half that time.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
8x was a great phone (too bad it belonged to HTC) and it ran 8.0 and 8.1 well. You're missing out on W10 though but, to each his own.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

sonicmotion

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I used this phone as my daily phone for two years, at first it was fantastic, but with each update or app I installed, it became slower and slower. Still made calls ok but other than that it was practially dead after two years.

206Husky

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
It is completely dead for me now, I was using it as a GPS mapping device for my bike rides, but my last ride it rained a little too much, and now it won't turn on. Now I'm using my backup Andriod device for this function.

Domestoboto92x

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I still have the 8X, it's Purple, on 8.1, and the lower half of the front is occupied by spiderwebs after a bad accident I suffered, but it's working AMAZINGLY WELL, I have not seen a device perform this well given that it's four years old.

Also, I second the notion that this is still an amazing media player, the only other setup that can match this would be the Sony Xperias with noise canceling earphones, that's it. A testament to when HTC could still be taken seriously, which is a shame...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium