Is anyone else picking up an update on the 8XT?

rell0614

May 19, 2014
Visit site
So I was playing a game on my phone, and all of a sudden it said "an update is ready to be installed." After it completed 2 downloads, it also said something like "this will make it easier for your phone to update to windows phone 8.1! Now it's currently on the screen that shows the tool symbol, and it's taking a while to update. This could be the real deal!

rell0614

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes! This is the WP8.1 update! It's installing on mine now! I'm soooo very excited! But, I can confirm that this is the real deal.

Thanks! I was looking online to see if it was the real thing and I didn't find any info, but now my phone is currently on (step 1 of 4 on 85%) I'm excited too! It's been a long wait.

realitydroid

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I was looking online to see if it was the real thing and I didn't find any info, but now my phone is currently on (step 1 of 4 on 85%) I'm excited too! It's been a long wait.

That's just the first update. When it gets to migrating your data for the full 8.1 update, it'll be in about 21 steps. It'll take awhile. Mine is still updating.

Just make sure you're connected to WiFi, otherwise it might not download (it didn't for me until my power came back on).

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll be pressing "check for updates" constantly until I get something! Can anyone who's managed to install it confirm that the WiFi/reboot issue is taken care of?

realitydroid

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I'll be pressing "check for updates" constantly until I get something! Can anyone who's managed to install it confirm that the WiFi/reboot issue is taken care of?

My WiFi is working just fine. However, I have a suspicion that battery life might have suffered a bit. Then again, that might just be me. It'll take more time to test this.

Edit: Finally got to try out Cortana a little bit and compare it, sort of, to Siri on my mother's iPhone. I think I'm in love with Cortana! lol

Attachments

• wp_ss_20141211_0001.png
    wp_ss_20141211_0001.png
    264.6 KB · Views: 10

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone gotten it who was on dev preview? Hopefully I don't have to reset my phone, although I totally will just to use wifi-sense...

I certainly hope not. I've made so much progress in games since I last had to reset my phone to get 8.1 in April...if only native backups were a thing!

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the Dev Preview and I haven't gotten it yet. I doubt a hard reset will do anything as the phone will still be on the Dev Preview...though I haven't tried opting out of the Dev Preview program yet either.

Just an FYI for those brand new to 8.1. Your battery life will stink for a day or so, but it will absolutely settle down again. My 8XT battery lasts through the day just fine.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Opted out of the Dev Preview, rebooted, still not finding it. I completely forgot about using WiFi again...haven't had WiFi on in months....

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Has this got anything to do with Cortana running in the background?

Hmm...yes, and no. The phone will have to update a ton of apps to the newer 8.1 versions, so you'll have a ton of background data transferring...Cortana goes through and learns about you, your commute to work/home, sports teams, etc. It will settle down.

Now...get to moving those apps to your storage card and be amazed at all the apps you can now have on your phone with all that free storage!!

Jonathan Cable

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So it was not showing up for me, checked three times in a row. I am still on 8.0 but had developer program turned on. I turned it off and deleted the app. Restarted my phone and than checked for an update and boom there it was.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So it was not showing up for me, checked three times in a row. I am still on 8.0 but had developer program turned on. I turned it off and deleted the app. Restarted my phone and than checked for an update and boom there it was.

Good luck! Its been a long road for you...

Jonathan Cable

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Good luck! Its been a long road for you...
Yes a long road. It has been horrible not having 8.1 after having it. Did you try the steps i took?
I was thinking turning developer program back on once the update is done but decided to wait a few days and see if anyone has any problems with the developer program after the official update. I h

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Nope, still no luck here...honestly, I don't really care about the 'official release' but I do want/need the firmware!!! :D

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Well it *was* just announced a few hours ago, and is rolling out. We're probably all just a little anxious. I waited eight months, I can wait a few more days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism