Switching from Android to Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djeli

Mar 16, 2011
www.djeli.ws
Hey everyone hope all is well...I have the option to switch my Epic 4g to a Htc Arrive..I wanna know if there is anyone here that has made the switch from a Android Phone to a Windows phone and how do u like it and if u like it...I'm just asking for a heads up since i was stuck to Blackberry and then stuck to android lol...

dark_gable

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am switching from an HTC EVO 4G to the Arrive. I love the EVO but I prefer Windows Mobile as s business phone and better functionality with Windows. I have been waiting for WP7 to hit Sprint and I am very excited. I receive my Arrive tomorrow and I am very excited to get back to Windows Mobile.

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had an Epic, Ive ordered the Arrive. It should be here Wednesday. I will let you know my impressions. Just FYI - I didnt love the epic. It was a nice phone, but I returned it for a reason. To buggy and messed up simple task to often.

mock19

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm switching from Samsung Moment; piece of garbage, to Arrive. I've sold tons of diff android phones and used/played with most of them and WP7 is just slick in comparison imo. WP7 has much less customizability options...but hopefully that will change in the future. Would love to see some skin overlays for the tiles or sumtin.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm switching from Samsung Moment; piece of garbage, to Arrive. I've sold tons of diff android phones and used/played with most of them and WP7 is just slick in comparison imo. WP7 has much less customizability options...but hopefully that will change in the future. Would love to see some skin overlays for the tiles or sumtin.

It may be slick but my God is it ever missing a ton of common sense features that Android provides out of the box. I realize this is a early build but this is not 2007 anymore like when the Iphone first came out. Microsoft needed the first release to have at least the ability to copy and paste,have custom ringtones,ability for the home screen to turn when in landscape mode with a slideout keyboard,also no address bar in IE when in landscape??? LED notifications also make no sense as it only flashes for missed calls or dead battery but not for emails or texts! Common M$

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on where your priorities and desires are. I came from Android (though not to the Arrive), and I will just say that if you want a full-featured phone that can do anything you desire, Android is for you.

If you don't utilize all the power of Android, and want a phone that is extremely polished and does less but does it well, then you will most likely really like WP7.

mock19

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It may be slick but my God is it ever missing a ton of common sense features that Android provides out of the box. I realize this is a early build but this is not 2007 anymore like when the Iphone first came out. Microsoft needed the first release to have at least the ability to copy and paste,have custom ringtones,ability for the home screen to turn when in landscape mode with a slideout keyboard,also no address bar in IE when in landscape??? LED notifications also make no sense as it only flashes for missed calls or dead battery but not for emails or texts! Common M$

I do agree. Not having custom ringtones and landscape is a very odd ommission. Granted I always keep my phone on vibrate so thats not a deal breaker, but landscape mode on the Arrive will definitely annoy me I'm sure. I'd also prefer to have better notifications; though I understand they show up on the lock screen? I could be wrong. WP7 still needs alot of work no doubt.

mock19

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The live tiles update and put numbers in the tile to let you know when you have missed calls/voicemails, emails, text messages, and updates. I think the notifications are fine now that I've seen it working and not a demo.

frylock

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I do agree. Not having custom ringtones and landscape is a very odd ommission. Granted I always keep my phone on vibrate so thats not a deal breaker, but landscape mode on the Arrive will definitely annoy me I'm sure. I'd also prefer to have better notifications; though I understand they show up on the lock screen? I could be wrong. WP7 still needs alot of work no doubt.

Yes, on the lock screen it shows me any new e-mails or texts or missed calls I have. The one downside is that it doesn't distinguish between the same type of e-mails. For example, the gmail icon and the pop3 account I use both have the same icon, so I need to unlock to see which has new e-mail. Outlook has a slightly different icon, so its easy to tell.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

how many threads are u going to troll with the same nonsense? My keyboard backlight works fine (tho I rarely used it but using it for this post just to prove ur uneducated self wrong) and I can see the address bar in landscape in IE with the keyboard slid out. So its definitely there now stop complaining like a little baby

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

Yes, on the lock screen it shows me any new e-mails or texts or missed calls I have. The one downside is that it doesn't distinguish between the same type of e-mails. For example, the gmail icon and the pop3 account I use both have the same icon, so I need to unlock to see which has new e-mail. Outlook has a slightly different icon, so its easy to tell.

Thrasher:
1. The Arrive has copy and paste
2. The address bar in IE shows in landscape IF the keyboard is out.
3. No need for LED notifications. The point is that notifications are on the lock screen. You can see the time, next appt, any missed calls, VM, texts, emails. Way more info communicated than an LED could offer. Turn on, glance, and go. That's the philosophy of the OS.

which leads me to nwebster:
I don't have a gmail or pop3 account set up but I have two Exchange accounts (and they have the same icon obviously). The way I tell on the lock screen if it's Exchange #1 or Exchange #2 is by the position on the lock screen. Exchange #1 is always on the left, Exchange #2 is always on the right. So if I get a new email from #2 but not #1, the icon is on the right and I know immediately which account it is, and vice versa. I'm guessing it must be similar with gmail and pop3. Have you checked?

-R

Venom98

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I just picked this phone up as a replacement for my wife's Pixi. Let me start by saying I have been waiting for a WP7 phone for Sprint since the OS was announced. Very responsive, love the interface. Hardware wise I am alittle disappointed. I currently have an HTC Evo and will hold out alittle bit longer till another WP7 is announced. Hoping for a 4g non-slider device. As soon as it becomes available I will be be leaving Android for WP7. Well done MS!! I know there are some issues, but I'm will to take the leap as long as MS supports it.

****surprised very little of MS news out of CTIA**** Nodo update and Nokia, was hoping for more...

Last edited:

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Thrasher:
1. The Arrive has copy and paste
2. The address bar in IE shows in landscape IF the keyboard is out.
3. No need for LED notifications. The point is that notifications are on the lock screen. You can see the time, next appt, any missed calls, VM, texts, emails. Way more info communicated than an LED could offer. Turn on, glance, and go. That's the philosophy of the OS.

which leads me to nwebster:
I don't have a gmail or pop3 account set up but I have two Exchange accounts (and they have the same icon obviously). The way I tell on the lock screen if it's Exchange #1 or Exchange #2 is by the position on the lock screen. Exchange #1 is always on the left, Exchange #2 is always on the right. So if I get a new email from #2 but not #1, the icon is on the right and I know immediately which account it is, and vice versa. I'm guessing it must be similar with gmail and pop3. Have you checked?

-R

Dude if you read I said when Win Phone 7 was released it did not have copy and paste. Not talking about when the arrive was released. Number 2 I said there is no address bar in IE when in landscape mode. When you slide the keyboard out then the address bar magically appears but maybe I don't want to slide it out and it just makes it a pain. 3rd the point of LED notifications is so you don't have to turn on your phone to see what has happened! With webOS I could look at my Pre and know I have a new email just by my light double blinking or a text by a slow long pulse. Android is pretty basic with just a flashing light for pretty much anything missed but atleast they flash for missed texts. I got spoiled by webOS as many others here have as well.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
how many threads are u going to troll with the same nonsense? My keyboard backlight works fine (tho I rarely used it but using it for this post just to prove ur uneducated self wrong) and I can see the address bar in landscape in IE with the keyboard slid out. So its definitely there now stop complaining like a little baby

Lay off Eric... Nothing I said is trolling. Me posting on 2 threads is not trolling. Everything I have stated is true and happened on my arrive and others have backed up my claims. No one is being a baby. I have the right to complain when a flagship $200 device is missing common sense features. The keyboard backlight does in fact turn off after just a few seconds of sliding it out. I really highly doubt my Arrive is the only one of the bunch that does this...

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree, this is not Microsofts best WP7 but its very good, I also picked the phone up for my wife and she loves it, I could not use the 3.6 in screen, but she does not like the big phones I myself thinks its to small and I was hoping we would hear more wp7's for sprint at CTIA, I guess we will have to wait for MIX in Apral, I have used the Dell Venue Pro, Samsung Focus and the Arrive and I really like the Samsung Focus so I'm hoping Sprint gets a Samsung phone SOONNNNN!!!!!

I just picked this phone up as a replacement for my wife's Pixi. Let me start by saying I have been waiting for a WP7 phone for Sprint since the OS was announced. Very responsive, love the interface. Hardware wise I am alittle disappointed. I currently have an HTC Evo and will hold out alittle bit longer till another WP7 is announced. Hoping for a 4g non-slider device. As soon as it becomes available I will be be leaving Android for WP7. Well done MS!! I know there are some issues, but I'm will to take the leap as long as MS supports it.

****surprised very little of MS news out of CTIA**** Nodo update and Nokia, was hoping for more...

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree, this is not Microsofts best WP7 but its very good, I also picked the phone up for my wife and she loves it, I could not use the 3.6 in screen, but she does not like the big phones I myself thinks its to small and I was hoping we would hear more wp7's for sprint at CTIA, I guess we will have to wait for MIX in Apral, I have used the Dell Venue Pro, Samsung Focus and the Arrive and I really like the Samsung Focus so I'm hoping Sprint gets a Samsung phone SOONNNNN!!!!!

I really want the focus as well, but I actually would rather have the Omnia 7 or Optimus 7. I don't think they are going to announce any new phones for the CDMA side until all the kinks are gone. Considering that there are only 2 kinds of CDMA phones (the Trophy and the Arrive) I think that the hardware manufacturers are waiting for the next wave of phones. CDMA versions of the Focus and other GSM phones seem less likely, especially since the Trophy and Arrive are both pretty standard phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte