Earphones Thread

Ammer758

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a few posts that discuss earphones, and I thought it might be nice to have a thread to capture peoples thoughts on OEM earphones and how they work with the arrive.

The reason is that I own a pair of Shure 115M+ with an in-line mic that doesn't work with the phone. I would like to find out from other people if they have better luck with other earphones.

I think it would be good to include the following (I will use my Shures as an example):

Brand/Model: Shure 115M+

In-Line Mic: Yes, but does not work

In-Line Music Controls: Only pause works. Other examples might look like- +/- buttons changes volume, tap pause/play, double tap forwards to next song, triple tap goes to previous song.

Sound Quality: Good, more distinct range than my old Bose MIE.

Ear Fit: Foam for better sound, but a little less comfortable, comes with rubber buds also.

Any other information would be good, but these are the main things. Feel free to post any OEM brands. The more posts the better.

I will also say that the buds that come with the phone sound way better if you can rotate them in your ear. I seem to hear the bass a lot better if I just twist them in my ear where the cord goes up slightly.

Mike

disposed

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
The inline mic should work on ALL headsets unless somethings broken. Its a standard 3 ring minijack thats universal.

I would check another pair on your phone, you may need to return it.

Ammer758

May 10, 2011
Visit site
The inline mic should work on ALL headsets unless somethings broken. Its a standard 3 ring minijack thats universal.

I would check another pair on your phone, you may need to return it.

Nope. The Mic works on my iPhone and two different Android phones that I tested at the Sprint store. I have a friend that has the same problem with different headphones on a different HTC/windows phone. He has used those earbuds on an iPhone and Android phone also.

How the phone interprets the signals from the jack is not universal. For example, one set of headphones will operate volume with the plus/minus in-line buttons while another set on the same phone used those buttons to fast forward.

I am not stating this is a software or hardware problem, because it could be both, but just having a three ring plug does not mean that your phone will operate the same with different headsets.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Brand/Model: Plantronics Pulsar 260 (bluetooth stereo headset, 2.5mm jacks into thumbdrive-sized bluetooth unit).

Mic: Yes. Works for calls, but not for apps that use the mic (e.g., OneNote and CopyCat). It's possibly something that developers have allow (or maybe they can't access the correct thing at the moment). It does playback for those apps though, so...? I'm not a good tester for the mic since I'm soft-spoken, but I think it's fine at around t-shirt collar level.

Controls: Works. Skip, previous, hold "mute" button to pause, and tap "mute" button to play. It has it's own 16-range volume controls, meaning the sound gets higher or lower, but the sound level on the phone stays the same. Send and end button by the mic works; pressing and holding it brings up the voice dialer.

Sound Quality: Good, it's been my favorite headset for years.

Ear Fit: Silicone (I think) or whatever those rubbery things are. Multiple fits. Comfortable.

Other Notes: It doesn't playback sound for videos, including the youtube app and the HTC youtube app. It'll play the keyboard typing sound, but it goes to sleep after not receiving sound input for a while, so it takes a second or so to wake up and play sound again.

Baka

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a pair of Sony's whose inline volume control also doesn't work. Pause works, but the plus/minus volume control does not.

They produce decent sound, so I don't really care, and as I refuse to pay more than $25 for headphones (NYC sidewalks are full of notorious tourists who's absent minded ways have destroy at least a pair a year for the last 5 years), these get me through the day just fine.

Still, does someone know if there is a list of "compatible" headphones for the Arrive?

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Use the ones that come with it?

I'm curious why people aren't just using the ones that come with the phone? They work just fine. They aren't noise cancelling or anything, but they are earbuds and have decent sound (which the Arrive has the SRS Enhancement to make it sound even more better).

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The ones that came with the Arrive are pretty crappy. The sound is hollow and tin-ie (in my opinion).

I use the Zagg z-buds and I love the sound for the price. I got them for 50% off, it's fairly easy to find a coupon for zagg. I got the model that does not have an in-line mic. Just earbuds...

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Like I said, I've had the Plantronics headset for years and I've loved it all throughout. I used it with my LG enV and my HTC TP2. Plus, it gives me more controls and I like to keep my phone in a holster or in my pocket usually, so I don't have to deal with those kinds of wire issues with this headset. I've also had a MOTOROKR EH20 that I've used before and liked (it's just a headset and mic, I believe, but the sound's good). Also, I like those kinds of ear fits more because they feel more secure and less likely to fall out of my ear. So, that's why I haven't really used the HTC one that comes with the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs