Left Arrive for Lumia 900

itsall4tay

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I did love my Arrive but the network speed was killing me. I could only achieve. 1. to. 8 speed on the download. Above. 3 took a miracle and the speed was was inconsistent. I couldn't watch a YouTube video. The last straw was when I need an app quickly and I realized that my Arrive was perfect but Sprint gave me nothing. But if anyone has a question about the Arrive, I will help. Miss you guys, but 2 days with the Lumia and I say it is well worth the change.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea I switched from an Arrive to the Lumia 900 too. I noticed that about the Arrive. The phone was quick and smooth but the network wasn't fast enough to keep up with the quickness of the phone. I don't feel that no more on AT&T's network. I also had problems with picture mail for a while on my Arrive. I went long periods without being able to send or receive picture mail, I'm talking weeks. It would work whenever it felt like it. I haven't had an issues sending or receiving pics since I've had the Lumia. I know how you feel tho, Sprint's network was slowing down the phone. Even took a few seconds to load up the marketplace sometimes, took forever to load up XBL friends list. With the Lumia 900 all that seems instant. Even loading up XBL friends list is a lot quicker. AT&T's network is a lot faster and doesn't hurt the quick UI experience. Watching videos on youtube barely ever buffers anymore either

DJ Nito

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I want the Nokia Lumia 900 but on sprint ... I can deal with the network because well I work for sprint and I pay 6.50 a month for my phone bill ... I just want this phone for sprint now haha

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I did the same thing when the 900 was first released. I liked my Arrive, but data speeds on Sprint's 3G network had been getting slower and slower each passing month to the point where I would open up Bing Maps and the basemap tiles wouldn't even load. Not load slowly - they wouldn't load at all. Speed Tests using Bandwidth (RIP) and/or dslreports.com/mspeed would regularly indicate download speeds of 80-200 kbps. Sure, Sprint has unlimited data, but I was only using 200MB per month because I would wait until I got onto a WiFi network to do anything more than text or email. I was thinking about waiting for an LTE Windows Phone on Sprint but when the Lumia 900 was available for pre-order, I was so fed up with Sprint's data speeds that I made the switch.

Now that I'm on AT&T, data speeds are so much better. LTE speeds are insane - the Bandwidth app would indicate speeds as high as 20Mbps - and "4G" HSPA+ regularly gives me 2-4Mbps. Over ten times as fast as Sprint 3G. The trade-off is somewhat flaky coverage and a more expensive bill. Honestly I'm not yet sure if it has been worth it, mainly because my 900 (the first one and the replacement) have not impressed me. Sure, build quality is outstanding, the screen is AMAZING, and it is much snappier than my Arrive in every way, but I've had several issues: the original data issue, a different WiFi issue that I never experienced on my Arrive, and the purple screen issue. Oh, and the worst issue of all: the camera is legitimately bad. It's on par with the camera on my Arrive. These issues aren't dealbreakers but they've left a bad taste in my mouth, especially since Nokia's reliability and camera prowess are two major reasons why I decided to buy the 900. Maybe I was simply misinformed on those topics.

I'm also a little annoyed at how Android has seemed to catch up to WP7 in terms of UI speed while WP7 seems to be standing still. I dunno. The Evo 4G LTE looks really, really impressive in many ways, especially the screen and the camera. Some days I think I should've stuck with Sprint and waited to see if I liked the Evo. Oh well.

caliborn

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I have no issues with my Arrive. Love how it looks, works, etc.

What I cannot stand is the data speeds I get when I'm not on Wifi. A lot of the data issues are because Sprint is upgrading their network all over. I've called several times about it and they assure me that things are about to get better, at least in the Chicago area. I'm going to be patient and see how things go for the summer. If my connection speeds don't change then I'm paying the ETF and switching carriers.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have no issues with my Arrive. Love how it looks, works, etc.

What I cannot stand is the data speeds I get when I'm not on Wifi. A lot of the data issues are because Sprint is upgrading their network all over. I've called several times about it and they assure me that things are about to get better, at least in the Chicago area. I'm going to be patient and see how things go for the summer. If my connection speeds don't change then I'm paying the ETF and switching carriers.

Has it always been like that? I thought the data issues were because Sprint doesn't have enough backhaul to the towers, so as a result they're doing upgrades (but that isn't the only reason they're upgrading).

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Has it always been like that? I thought the data issues were because Sprint doesn't have enough backhaul to the towers, so as a result they're doing upgrades (but that isn't the only reason they're upgrading).
I just got a Arrive a few weeks back, had enough of Android. EV here in Eugene, OR is very sporadic. I will be leaving Sprint by years end if NV doesn't help the data speeds, or LTE is not up. Their is also the chance of no good WP on Sprint either. :(

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Arrive a few weeks back, had enough of Android. EV here in Eugene, OR is very sporadic. I will be leaving Sprint by years end if NV doesn't help the data speeds, or LTE is not up. Their is also the chance of no good WP on Sprint either. :(

Hopefully NV is successful. I can't wait until both Sprint and T-Mobile get their LTE networks up and running. I'm growing tired of the AT&T/Verizon "duopoly."

turdsamich

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I pay 70 dollars on sprint for what would likely cost me over 100 on AT&T so I am willing to deal with a somewhat slower 3G network.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I pay 70 dollars on sprint for what would likely cost me over 100 on AT&T so I am willing to deal with a somewhat slower 3G network.

Same here, that is why I am giving Sprint a chance. Also I would like my family to come along as then it would be only a $5 to $10 increase. :cool:

venom5150

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I had the Arrive since day one on 03/20/2011 and loved it. It was a great phone but had enough of Sprints lack of Windows Phone love so I switch and ordered the Nokia Lumia. AT&T had amazing data speeds, loved the VVM, also had the Hotspot feature which I used more than I had expected. Unfortunately, their phone coverage was pathetic in my house. I did everything I could to stick with Lumia by resetting the phone, buying the Microcell, and I still could not achieve a reliable phone call. I am on the phone for hours at a time and no longer have a landline so that's not an option. End result is, I am back on the Arrive and although I never noticed it before, the speeds are noticeably slow. Slow like molasses compared to att's LTE. Miss the Lumia but call quality was my number one priority.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Just like with everyone else, I LOVE my Arrive. The network is the only thing lacking for me. I do know that the network issues are a result of having to switch off towers to shut down 800MHz iDEN/Network Vision. As a result, Sprint coverage gets knocked down as well since they're all in the same tower.

Once Sprint's work with the tower is completed, its switched back on and coverage is resumed (hopefully better with the Network Vision upgrade). There's been a lot of issues recently, especially closer to the major cities and outlying counties to those cities. The next 12 months should continue to be tough as iDEN is taken offline around the country.

As for Sprint LTE, expect to see wide coverage kick in around the end of 2013 at the EARLIEST. Obviously, major city coverage will happen sooner but to see it as wide as the current 3G network is, expect that within the next two years.

I plan on staying with Sprint due to the plan costs. Paying $75/month is much better than $100/month that I would with AT&T (I was close to switching earlier this year and priced them out). I just use WiFi wherever I can and it really helps that Windows Phone is quick and smooth.

I hope Nokia and Sprint have something nice cooked up for Windows Phone 8! The last rumors I read was of a 4" Lumia 900-esque device with a slide-out keyboard for Sprint... that would be a total dream!

Skycop

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i feel at home in this club....

Just ditched the arrive for a 900 last week and I'm loving it. I did like the arrive but got fed up with Sprints slow network and the fact that they never did fix that one text at a time thing that drove me nuts! I loved the windows os enough that i thought i could hang for a year but with no new windows phones in the near future i had to bail after 10 years of being with sprint.

Anyway its somehow is costing me about he same plus i have tethering. Att speeds are awesome compared to sprint! I have no regrets! Make the move if att is solid in your area. Sprint needs to know that we are serious about windows phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss