Arrive finally died - what to do?

bevmo73

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I got this HTC for my wife on Sprint 2 years ago, and she finally broke the glass screen :)

What would you do now?

Note: She is NOT a power user :) Email, photos, messaging mainly.

Repair it screen (may cost $100?)
Buy used Arrive on eBay and ask Sprint to activate it?
See if Sprint wp8 is going to happen any time soon?
Leave for another carrier - maybe HTC 8X or Nokia?

She loves the physical keyboard, but I think she's going to have to give that up as there are no other wp7/wp8 options.
Sprint has not been a bad carrier, and with the discounts and unlimited data, is good value.

Thanks for any thoughts!

I have the Lumia 920 so would like to keep in wp family. [Edit 920!]

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
you have a Verizon 928???

anyways I think she should wait. especially wait for the Sprint Samsung Ativ S it should be here this summer sprint said.

bevmo73

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reply - I meant I have the Lumia 920, must have had 928 on the brain :)

Not sure she can manage with the cracked glass that long :)

There is a the samsung and some unknown htc planned for sprint I think... but no ideas on timing.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
since I don't live in the US anymore. can't you try a Verizon phone on Sprint??
Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers, and they use a database of ESNs/MEIDs. They will not activate a device whose ESN/MEID is not in the database showing it is for their own network. If Sprint is your carrier, you must use a Sprint branded device; and if Verizon is your carrier, you must use a Verizon branded device.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
damn. never knew it was that confusing. even though I left USA 4 years ago. Everything in NZ works. I can use my phone on any carrier except for one carrier. every other one is GSM

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
damn. never knew it was that confusing. even though I left USA 4 years ago. Everything in NZ works. I can use my phone on any carrier except for one carrier. every other one is GSM
US is terrible compared to just about any other country when it comes to mobile phone carriers. I'd only say Canada is worse, since they have 3-year contracts.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I am still using a Touch Pro2 on Sprint and I cracked my screen too. Phone still works but it is annoying. Going to be hard for me to give up the keyboard too. Prices for Arrives on Ebay is nuts right now, way to high for me to spend right now as interm phone.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I would take it down sprint and see how much they will charge to replace the glass. If you have the protection plan, it should only be about $35. If you don't, it may be more, if they even will. You can get a used CLEAN ESN Arrive on ebay for about $50. I actually just grabbed one, in perfect working order (a few scuffs and scratches), clean esn, for $55 shipped, just because I could, and wanted to see why such a simplistic looking OS seemed to capture those that used it...

You won't need to pay activation fees, it won't update your contract (so if you've got a renewal coming up, you can keep it for when something newer comes out), just call Sprint and they will walk you through getting it onto your account.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Sprint won't be able to repair it. I took my Arrive down there for a speaker problem and they said that because it was EOL'd they don't have parts or replacement units available. Just a few crappy old blackberries and a low-end Android as replacement.

I'll get a 521 and go prepaid way before I let them screw me over with an Android phone.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I was able to get an arrive from my sprint store as replacement for my broke tp2 about a month ago.

Going to hard for me to give up the keyboard on the arrive for the new phone. I would really like to stay with HTC but the 8xt is a downgrade from the Samsung neo.

Not buying either though until I can play with both.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Switch carriers. Sprint has no release date for the two over priced mid tier phones. Sprint is not very supportive of Windows Phones.

You can get the Lumias at either Verizon or AT&T for cheaper. Or just wait for the Tmbobile 925 and not have to be on contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip