Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Do I need signal in order to use data connection? Because I was an area that had signal come in and out and I tried using IE but it wouldn't connect.

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff4L View Post
    Do I need signal in order to use data connection? Because I was an area that had signal come in and out and I tried using IE but it wouldn't connect.
    Well you need to make sure it shows 3G or E to be sure that there is a data connection. If not, then for the most part there's no connection, and no connection means no internet. So yeah you got that one all on your own champ! Lol

I know I need the 3G or E to show but is it correlated to my bars. By that I mean, do I need bars to get data connection (3G/E)?

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    The bars are related to the signal strength, whether it is 4G, 3G, E, or plain voice signal. No bars means no signal of any kind be it data or otherwise.
    Past Phones:
    A few dumb phones
    Blackberry
    iPhone 3G (Sold)
    Samsung Captivate (Sold)
    Samsung Focus (Returned)
    HTC Inspire (Returned....Oh man it was horrible)
    Samsung Focus(Again)
    Samsung Nexus S (Sold)
    iPhone 4 (Trying to sell or trade for Lumia 920)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Aww what a bummer! I always thought they were on separate connections or something :P Is there a way around, or not?

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff4L View Post
    Aww what a bummer! I always thought they were on separate connections or something :P Is there a way around, or not?
    oh absolutely not the bars need to be there or there is no signal whatsoever the bars is the flow of data to the device, while the 3G, E or G is what type of data is getting to it. if there is no icon next to the bars then all you have is voice capababilities and no data.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    On a related note, my two favorite Voice Commands used to be; What is my battery level?And, what is my signal strength? Don't know why they left those out of TellMe.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502