HD7 still worth getting?

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, my Palm pre - is dying and I am looking for a cheap mango phone. I love the 4.3" screen size as my gf has a L900 and I don't want to spend alot of $ because the uncertainty of wp8 upgrade.

I found a new unlock for $200, is it still worth getting for a 2 yrs old phone? I understand spec don't matter on wp what about all the other issues I read on this forum? Is it overblown?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's a first-gen phone. Coming from a Pre it will be a very good upgrade. However, the Nokia Lumia 710 is a much faster phone and it comes with Nokia Apps, which the HD7 does not. If you want to buy my HD7, it's being sold right here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/barter/192974.htm

If you want to unlock it, you can get an unlock code from eBay for $1 to $3 or so. Cheap and easy. Don't spend $200 just for the unlocked phone. It's not worth it when you can get mine with all the extras and unlock it yourself for just a couple of bucks.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The HTC gets all of HTC's apps, which includes Sound Enhancer and HTC Locations. You can get Offline maps for it. It has twice the storage of a Lumia 710 and a factorably larger display. It depends on what your requirements are. Both are lacking a FFC so that's not a factor, and the HD7 does have a bit more RAM, but that depends on whether or not these phones get upgraded to Apollo since currently RAM almost doesn't matter with the way WP7 multi-tasks apps.

The only place where the Lumia is clearly superior is the screen tech.

The Lumia 710 is not "much faster." It's faster, but not by much really.

The biggest strikes against the HD7 are the screen and the camera is not a good performer. The latter may or may not matter to you. The Lumia barely has a bigger battery than the HD7 so that isn't much of a factor, either. The HD7's battery IS removeable, though.

The HD7 is HSPA, the Lumia is HSPA+ but TBH that shouldn't matter since if you can get over 7.2 mbps down on a Lumia 710 the HD7 should be close to capping out on download speed, and you can stream HD video off of a 5 mbps connection.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The HTC gets all of HTC's apps, which includes Sound Enhancer and HTC Locations. You can get Offline maps for it. It has twice the storage of a Lumia 710 and a factorably larger display. It depends on what your requirements are. Both are lacking a FFC so that's not a factor, and the HD7 does have a bit more RAM, but that depends on whether or not these phones get upgraded to Apollo since currently RAM almost doesn't matter with the way WP7 multi-tasks apps.

The only place where the Lumia is clearly superior is the screen tech.

The Lumia 710 is not "much faster." It's faster, but not by much really.

The biggest strikes against the HD7 are the screen and the camera is not a good performer. The latter may or may not matter to you. The Lumia barely has a bigger battery than the HD7 so that isn't much of a factor, either. The HD7's battery IS removeable, though.

The HD7 is HSPA, the Lumia is HSPA+ but TBH that shouldn't matter since if you can get over 7.2 mbps down on a Lumia 710 the HD7 should be close to capping out on download speed, and you can stream HD video off of a 5 mbps connection.

HTC Locations is only free for 30 days, after that you gotta pay. Whereas Nokia Drive is free, completely.

I use my Lumia 710 daily and it is much faster than my HD7 was. And the Lumia 710's battery is removable, too.

Is HSPA the same thing as 3G?

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I guess it is a no no. Love the metro UI, I guess I will keep using my pre until I find a newer mango ph then.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
HTC Locations is only free for 30 days, after that you gotta pay. Whereas Nokia Drive is free, completely.

I use my Lumia 710 daily and it is much faster than my HD7 was. And the Lumia 710's battery is removable, too.

Is HSPA the same thing as 3G?

HSPA+ is technically 4G now. I still like to call it 3G though :p

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I guess it is a no no. Love the metro UI, I guess I will keep using my pre until I find a newer mango ph then.

I think you may misunderstand, the HD7 is not a bad phone. It's just first-gen and doesn't get the Nokia love. My HD7 that I retired works perfectly and will get the job done.

But if you're wanting a great 2nd-gen phone, get a Lumia 710. I got mine from eBay for $150. Used, of course. I'm amazed you've been able to stick with your Pre this long. I got my Sprint Pre in June of 2009 and I had to get rid of it in August 2011 due to it constantly shutting down and/or rebooting itself.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I have one and it does everything I need it to do. Got it for $169 off eBay in new condition but not new in box. So yea it's worth it for the short run considering that WP8 handsets are among us, the SRS enhancements can't be beat as well. I've also gotten speeds higher than the 7.2mbps that it's rated for

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I dont see anything wrong with the HD7. I have two lines and both are HD7s. I love the size of the screen and it responds very well. I was also able to upgrade the MicroSD to a 32GB, so because of that, still has plenty of life. All other TMo Windows Phones I seen have too much of a small screen. The 4.3 that the HD7 has is what I really like about it.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have an HD7 and very satisfied with it. I certainly recommends HD7 over many other
handsets even new ones like Lumia 710.

It's been solid, no problems, stable, love the kickstand and big screen.

However there is one major issue with HD7 (as with other phones as well), that is small battery.
With moderate use, you usually won't get thru the night.

So if you're getting HD7, consider also buying a second battery for backup. With
two batteries, I'm a happy HD7 user.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos