No plans for 7.8, says HTC

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with HTC Support. The guy I spoke to was very helpful & knowledgeable. I asked him whether the HTC Trophy will be getting the 7.8 update. His response was “Ultimately, yes.” He said he could not give me a straight answer on future updates for company policy purposes. The answer was the same for all HTC WP7.8 devices besides the HD7. This means that devices like the Trophy, Mozart, Arrive, Radar, Etc… will get the update.

He also said that HTC has little to no control over 7.8 at this point. At this stage, it’s strictly up to Microsoft. HTC was able to approve all phones except the HD7 for the update. When the update is released, all HTC will do is announce that it’s released. Microsoft will release it to Zune and HTC WP7.5 users can update at their own will.

The reason the HD7 was not approved for the 7.8 update was because of one hardware deficiency: a shutter button. The lack of that one hardware requirement makes the HD7 ineligible for the update.

This is what the customer service representative was able to share with me. It seems like this ultimately does not fall on the backs of HTC, but rather Microsoft.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how long they sold them for, but mine is well over 2 years old now, and up until now got every update going.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

StevePT

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
That's a lame response from HTC because the HD7/7S has a camera button/shutter button, just like every other first gen WP device. Evidently they are now coming out with some low-end WP devices that don't have camera buttons and supposedly 7.8 has support built into it for those devices.

Also, from reading the comments on the WPCentral front page articles, there are HD7 owners that have unlocked phones reporting that they are getting the update...

Fallenclient

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Reading Twitter after that news article on HTC saying no HD7 their twitter account responded the same way when asked if ANY WP7 device would get the update. At the moment i cant work out if its unbranded unlocked phones only getting the update or if its a mixture (O2 UK here).

FreeFool

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I updated my HD7 with the hacking tool that was mentioned in the news section here on WP Central recently. All updated within 15-20 mins. Seems ok but some but when i've resized my HTC hub tile i have lost the live tile image and its now grey (not even the accent colour) and when resized to large it does not resolve the issue, no live tile, nothing, not a big problem as the app isnt that good anyway. Also another tile when resized to small lost its icon, kept the accent colour, but i cant recall which one now, so that may of resolved itself. These were the only issues i've noticed.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
HTC makes me sad. Seriously, this (HD7) is my last HTC phone. Thus phone was a Windows Phone flagship 2years ago with the largest display when compared to all other phones when WP came out not knowing it's end will be ****ed. Screw HTC!

I always try to force my update but to no avail. I'm always successful in disconnecting my pc from the net to get the can not check for update message but when I reconnect it stays that way without giving me anytime in contrast to what the WPCentral update article said.....according to them, you get the update message as soon as you reconnect.

Damn! It's all HTC's fault....no wonder their sales keep on falling.....and they will continue to fall of they don't ****in wise up!!
Got to get myself a Lumia afterall.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hah!! Just updated my HTC HD7 to WP 7.8 with the force method. Now I feel good. But really don't know whether it's just me or not but most of my apps can not have the wide tile, just the small and medium...no wide tile meanwhile I thought Twitter just updated to wide tile but can't change that on my phone (or is the wide tile for WP8 only?) it's it like that or just me? Help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99