Randomly losing cellular data connection

epyon9283

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Since I've had the one m8 I've had to reboot the phone at least once every few days because I lose my data connection. The phone shows an LTE signal but none of the apps can communicate. I can make/receive phone calls and SMS but I have no data. Cycling airplane mode does nothing. The only way I've found to get the phone working again is to reboot. I've had to do it twice so far today. Quite annoying. Wifi seems to work fine while this occurs. I just lose connectivity once I'm off a wifi network.

Anyone else seeing this?

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have this happen alot, but only on days where I'm on campus, where Wi-Fi is spotty and my phone is constantly jumping from about five different school access points (I guess though Wi-Fi Sense.)

At home or my old job, it never did it. Try turning off Wi-Fi or at least Wi-Fi Sense and see if that helps. I'm doing the same and will see if it still does it.

It's definitely a bug though.

I'm not confident but hopefully they'll release an update soon that fixes this and the reboot issue.

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Since I've had the one m8 I've had to reboot the phone at least once every few days because I lose my data connection. The phone shows an LTE signal but none of the apps can communicate. I can make/receive phone calls and SMS but I have no data. Cycling airplane mode does nothing. The only way I've found to get the phone working again is to reboot. I've had to do it twice so far today. Quite annoying. Wifi seems to work fine while this occurs. I just lose connectivity once I'm off a wifi network.

Anyone else seeing this?

I'm experiencing the same issues but my phone is in a spoty area and jumps from 1X to 3G to LTE and cycles through. What I end up doing is putting phone into airplane mode and reconnect. Largest pain is when this happens I have to reenter my Yahoo Password information. I was going to see if a SIM change would resolve the issue

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Take the phone out of Global mode and place it into CDMA/LTE... This will disable the additional radios that VZW doesn't use. I have had awesome coverage since doing it.

originalstarlite

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Take the phone out of Global mode and place it into CDMA/LTE... This will disable the additional radios that VZW doesn't use. I have had awesome coverage since doing it.
I just did that. I hope that is results in stronger signals throughout my day. I will check back in a few days with some observations.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
How are the results so far... I know it made a huge difference for me... But I'd love to hear from anyone else that tries it!

originalstarlite

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I just did that. I hope that is results in stronger signals throughout my day. I will check back in a few days with some observations.
I do not constantly check my phone signal strength, but notice the lack of strength on the car's "connected icon." Since changing this setting, signals are noticeably stronger.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Did a hard reset with minimal apps... Two days later, no data. This is ridiculous. I'm tempted to just go back to an Icon but Cyan is nowhere to be found.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Did a hard reset with minimal apps... Two days later, no data. This is ridiculous. I'm tempted to just go back to an Icon but Cyan is nowhere to be found.

Did you take the device out of Global Mode and change it to CDMA/LTE? I haven't had one drop since doing that... So far everyone else is the same as well. A hard reset won't fix the issue at all, and actually will undo the changes that you manually make to the network settings.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Have you swapped the SIM card out then? That's the only other reason that would cause an intermittent signal problem - unless there's just a bad coverage area, but you would have seen that with your Icon also.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Have tried everything at this point except a new device. HTC told me to "put the phone in safe mode.' :|

I've had wifi sense off and still lost service today.

Here is what I have noticed though- it seems like it happens consistently when I am in an area of poor service but connected to Wi-Fi for an extended amount of time. Service at my apartment is spotty, and where I have class on Wednesday, and it almost always disconnects after being home for a few hours or after being in class for a few hours.

It would seem like a bug where the phone has trouble reconnecting to cell data after prolonged bad signal.

This also explains why it's intermittent and many users aren't experiencing it.

But HTC support really makes me reconsider buying this device.

Safe mode. Really?

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
It probably does that to preserve power. A lot of cellphones will actually let your battery drain to nothing with constant attempts to reacquire signal. I've seen a Note 3 drain to nothing within 4-6 hours of really bad signal.

I think you probably identified the problem though. It doesn't gracefully go back to reacquiring the signal when its hit or miss, though the bigger problem is a really bad signal area. Bad signal can also cause phones to reboot.

I wouldn't reconsider the phone because of support techs, they are just reading from scripts and don't actually know anything about the hardware or troubleshooting outside of that. That goes for nearly every tech out there for nearly every company.

Have tried everything at this point except a new device. HTC told me to "put the phone in safe mode.' :|

I've had wifi sense off and still lost service today.

Here is what I have noticed though- it seems like it happens consistently when I am in an area of poor service but connected to Wi-Fi for an extended amount of time. Service at my apartment is spotty, and where I have class on Wednesday, and it almost always disconnects after being home for a few hours or after being in class for a few hours.

It would seem like a bug where the phone has trouble reconnecting to cell data after prolonged bad signal.

This also explains why it's intermittent and many users aren't experiencing it.

But HTC support really makes me reconsider buying this device.

Safe mode. Really?

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
It's sad to hear that support was that bad though isn't it? I have had nothing but great experiences from HTC Support, so I feel for you. Do you have the phone set to Roaming? If so, it might be pulling the 'roaming' signal in the poor coverage area and then not reconnecting to the VZW network when you come back in range. The other option might be to check the SIM card and make sure it's not defective. It might register on the network when you have good coverage, but then not re-initialize when you get back from the bad coverage.

If you haven't swapped it out, it might be a good move.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The frustration is however that there is a software bug that won't detect a connection after it does find service. I can watch the signal change from 3G to LTE, the signal bars change, and even putting the device in and out of airplane mode all have no effect, it still doesn't find a connection.

This worries me so much for two reasons.

Firstly, without data, a smartphone isn't smart. It also doesn't get notifications if there is no data. The most basic smartphone should be able to switch between cell data and wireless without dropping the connection. Other Windows Phones are capable of doing it, so it's something specific with the One. It also affects the Live Tiles and Skype integration. Every time I soft reset my phone, at least one app has screwed up live tiles, and they don't work properly without disabling and re-enabling them in Battery Saver. Similarly, the phone shows "no compatible apps" for integrated video calling in the Phone settings. So to reset it now and then wouldn't be such a problem - but it causes a whole setup again every time it happens. I have to uninstall and reinstall Skype, and then enable and disable certain live tiles each time it happens. For a 2014 smartphone, it's unacceptable.

Secondly, I don't expect HTC to fix the issue - at least not in the time before another phone comes out. Windows Phone 8.1 was announced in April - it's now SEVEN months later and still not on the HTC 8X. (Or the Icon, or the 928, 822 etc.)

This is taking it off topic, but this whole thing has really added to an already serious concern for the future of WP and whether it is worth it to stay anymore.

RANT WARNING, lol, skip it if you don't want to read!

If we get major apps (unlike Snapchat,) we get them way later, and they either don't have feature parity (Facebook, Twitter, Flipboard) or stay in un-updated beta forever (Instagram.) Even when there are major releases on Microsoft's own gaming platform (Destiny, Watch Dogs) the companion apps are not available on their mobile platform (despite shared Xbox branding,) the music player is an absolute mess, which though they are working on updating with some regularity, is still a disaster (download a few Deluxe versions of albums to your SD card, and watch as a few days later they are broken up into 2 or 3 albums, some Deluxe, some not, with no way to fix it but to redownload them all.) Live tiles and notifications are still hit or miss depending on how many apps you have installed, and then we have the update situation.

And now this specific phone can't even maintain a data connection if you are in a location with a lower signal for too long. Which I guess is an improvement from the constant rebooting that many had.

I realize at this point I'm just venting, but why stay?

I can still listen to Xbox Music (and have one library on my computer, tablet, phone and Xbox) with an iPhone, I can still access Office, I can still auto backup my photos to OneDrive, etc.

And as weirdly ironic as it is, you get a better experience gaming on an Xbox because the companion apps (not of all which are useful, but Destiny and Watch Dogs certainly are) are iPhone and not Windows Phone.

And now we have no idea when/if the current phones will get Windows 10, other than "it's technically possible, pretty likely, but nothing concrete."

If we assume it will take just as long as it's taken to get 8.1, a less significant update, figure another 8 months minimum? Which means better hardware will be out by then anyway.

So really, why stay? :angry:

Here is perhaps a better question to my Windows Phone loving brothers and sisters: why have you stayed on WP?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3