First Impressions - HTC One M8 Windows

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my M8 from VZW on 12/15 and received the android version via FedEx the next morning. Aside from the order mixup, which was likely my fault, that was super fast delivery! I took the android version to my local corporate VZW store and was able to get it exchanged with minimal hassle. I am coming from the Lumia Icon, so thought I would post some first impressions.

I am pleased with the phone so far. I like the curved corners versus the sharp corners of the Icon.
The phone feels a tad bit lighter, which is also nice. It is a beautiful phone, and looks like a flagship device.
I like the double-tap to wake feature - it is sometimes easier to use that versus the button.
The power/wake button on top - this is one of my gripes, but I can live with this. It is less of a problem because of double-tap to wake.
I like the software buttons better than the built-in buttons of the Icon. These are bright white, with no yellowish hue. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the navigation bar can be set to go with the theme, go with the background, or stay dark. I also like that the software buttons rotate with the phone. It's a nice touch.
The M8 comes out of the box with 8.1. This is probably the main reason that I upgraded. I was running the developer preview on the Icon and while it was tolerable, there were a few annoyances, which I will not spend time focusing on here.
The speakers on this phone are great - for music and notifications. Speaking of notifications, I can really feel the vibrate on this phone, even when it is in my pants pocket.
I do not know if the Icon had "Attentive Phone Settings" or not, but I like the auto answer feature and the flip to mute ring. These may have been present on the Icon but I did not use them.
The camera works fine for me. The fact is, I could never take really good pictures with any phone, no matter the specs. Some photos on the Icon came out great, others not so great. I have only had the phone for 24 hours, but find that the camera is adequate for my needs.
I will update this initial review at some point, but wanted to get my first impressions out there.
I have the free X-Box version of the dot-view case coming, but will likely just play with it a bit and then sell it for a few dollars. I have ordered a horizontal holster, a charging stand, and a slim SUP case for the phone.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Got the charging stand and case today. Phone fits well in charger without case. I will try the charger with the phone in case as soon as the new update is finished installing.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The charging stand works with the M8 with or without the case that I bought, which is very nice. I'm liking the case more than I thought I would. It doesn't add much bulk and also doesn't attract dust. I just got the holster today and that will be going back. It's huge!!!! I really don't need it as I can just slip the phone into my pants pocket.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The charging stand works with the M8 with or without the case that I bought, which is very nice. I'm liking the case more than I thought I would. It doesn't add much bulk and also doesn't attract dust. I just got the holster today and that will be going back. It's huge!!!! I really don't need it as I can just slip the phone into my pants pocket.

Does the stand you bought work with the dot view case specifically?

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Does the stand you bought work with the dot view case specifically?
Yes, I just tried it. The phone with the dot view case will charge in the stand that I linked above. Not sure how I feel about the dot view case, especially this very green xbox case..... Perhaps I will find someone that wants to trade this for a more subdued color, like black or grey. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3