What will I miss if I switch to HTC from Nokia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Night

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I am really interested in the HTC One for Windows however I am worried that there are a lot of exclusive Nokia features I will be missing out on. I own a Lumia 822 and I just love all of the extra features and apps Nokia (Microsoft) has given my device.

What features will I miss out on if I switch?

What features are in this phone (or any HTC phone) that are exclusive to this phone (or HTC)?

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Camera, that's if you are coming from higher end lumias. In your case, nothing really, I also think HTC has better hardware than nokia

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
You can go look at Nokia's list of apps in the store.

Other than that, you'll also not have glance, call and SMS blocker, and that new Microsoft mobile gestures thing that just came out.

HTC phones already have most of the gestures anyway, the One M8 has dot view which is decent, the hardware camera refocus is pretty good, and the M8's digitizer works better than Nokia's super sensitive touch. The front facing stereo speakers are really a bigger bonus than I thought they'd be- before I heard them, I thought, "meh all phone speakers are bad these won't make any difference". It makes a difference, and I will definitely be adding front facing stereo speakers to my list of must have features on a phone. I haven't been so floored to hear stereo audio in a long time :). Was utterly shocked when watching a YouTube video and I clearly heard directional audio.

Think of it this way; people want higher resolution screens, but somehow higher resolution audio and better audio quality in general aren't as important? Bad logic. The speakers on this device vs other phones is like a 1080p screen vs 480x800 resolution display. The improvement is there and appreciable, and very nice to have.

Silent Night

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies. I have checked out that old article and it seems like the three Nokia exclusive features I use daily that I will be missing are Glance, Treasure Tag, and Call + SMS filter.

I could say goodbye to glance with the Dotview case but from my understanding, that case disables background tasks. That is a huge deal breaker for that case. I could do without those features completely though. As for Treasure Tag and Call + SMS filter, are there any alternatives?

Also I forgot about the "amazing" speakers the HTC one has. I haven't heard them for myself as I've never got my hands on the phone. I personally don't need them. I dabble in music so I am always surrounded by amazing speakers to play music through. It would be a small plus though if I'm on the go and want to show someone something. I don't want to carry one of those Bose Bluetooth speakers around everywhere.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The speakers are awesome for a phone. When I had my icon, it was sometimes difficult to watch video, i.e. YouTube, because that phone had speakers that were crap.

I'm hoping that some developer comes up with a solution for the call block feature that the Lumia's had.

I don't care about glance or cases that light up.

Just my two cents.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies. I have checked out that old article and it seems like the three Nokia exclusive features I use daily that I will be missing are Glance, Treasure Tag, and Call + SMS filter.

I could say goodbye to glance with the Dotview case but from my understanding, that case disables background tasks. That is a huge deal breaker for that case. I could do without those features completely though. As for Treasure Tag and Call + SMS filter, are there any alternatives?

Also I forgot about the "amazing" speakers the HTC one has. I haven't heard them for myself as I've never got my hands on the phone. I personally don't need them. I dabble in music so I am always surrounded by amazing speakers to play music through. It would be a small plus though if I'm on the go and want to show someone something. I don't want to carry one of those Bose Bluetooth speakers around everywhere.

No one needs good speakers on a phone, just like no one needs a 1080p screen on a phone. If you look at high res content, you'll appreciate a 1080p screen. If you ever play any audio (video, game or otherwise) through your phone speakers, you'll appreciate this phone. Obviously you won't be avoiding any external speakers/headphones to use the on board speakers- I was just making the point that the phone speakers seems to be an under appreciated, easily dismissed spec, when imo it should be as equally desired as a 1080p screen is.

The dot view case does NOT disable background tasks- it breaks "running under the lock screen" which is very contextual and of waning import. For example- 8.1 allows apps to collect GPS data in real time while minimized now. 8.1 also allows apps to record audio in real time when minimized. The ability to download data while minimized has been here since 8.0. More functionality while minimized can be assumed to come in 10. Dotview will only break apps that need to run under the lock screen- like a flashlight, certain music alarm programs... You'll have to take a look at what you use, but I bet dot view won't really break much.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a 928 and got 2 m8 for my wife and daughter. So I've played with them both and can say my daughter misses the qi charging. I use glance peek, and the Lumia play to app. Having an xbox1 and using the play to app is totally awesome and used a lot. I haven't found anything in the store that can replace this app. Needless to see those two are not happy aboit that either. But the speakers on the m8 are the best I have ever heard on a phone. Wife loves that as she doesn't pair to her speaker anymore when getting herself ready in the mornings.

All in all, its personal preference and ask yourself if u can do without them. I can't.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
the Lumia play to app. Having an xbox1 and using the play to app is totally awesome and used a lot. I haven't found anything in the store that can replace this app.

The app AV remote will do what play to does, and more, but it might not be as stable.

You can buy wireless charging pads to attach to the back of the phone, but the dot view case is too thick, though I only have the old version of the qi charger. Considering buying the newer qi charger and giving wireless charging another try on my m8...

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The app AV remote will do what play to does, and more, but it might not be as stable.

You can buy wireless charging pads to attach to the back of the phone, but the dot view case is too thick, though I only have the old version of the qi charger. Considering buying the newer qi charger and giving wireless charging another try on my m8...

Just tried AV Remote app, and it can't see my videos on my ..\Pictures\Camera Roll folder. Am I not doing something correctly?

Thanks,

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
What features are in this phone (or any HTC phone) that are exclusive to this phone (or HTC)?

I've had the phone for a couple of days, and I'm impressed. I got tired of waiting for tmo to release a mid to high end Nokia.

As an owner of an abandoned HTC HD7 and an abandoned Lumia 810, I'm excited about the HTC Assurance and the guaranteed two years of software updates. I'm surprised more people don't talk about this...

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget, you will love awesome battery. I came from 925 and had to recharge by the time got home from work. Using this phone more than 925, Have never been below 60% at bed time..

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am really interested in the HTC One for Windows however I am worried that there are a lot of exclusive Nokia features I will be missing out on. I own a Lumia 822 and I just love all of the extra features and apps Nokia (Microsoft) has given my device.

What features will I miss out on if I switch?

Pretty much everything that is coming from Denim .....Not to mention if you are able to upgrade to a higher end Lumia, you'll be receiving Hey Cortana which the M8 does not have.

If you like your Nokia/Lumia experience, I really see no reason why you'd switch. Lumia apps will only exist with your Lumia phone that you use presently and Microsoft has been releasing a few apps that only work with Lumia and only surface.

Hopefully they will continue this trend :)

So if you are happy with the Lumia experience, then stick with what you have and get yourself a high end Lumia. Be it an Icon or if you switch carriers, a 1520 or 830 :) With the upcoming Denim update, the Lumia icon/930 reasserts itself as the signature phone of 2014 for windows phone and I know a lot of people are excited for it :)

Plus you'll likely have priority when it comes to WIndows 10...since Lumia is Microsoft :)

I'd bypass the M8 for a Lumia if I were you or if your 822 is running smoothly stick with it and wait for amazing Lumia hardware to come out for Win10...But the icon is an awesome device and I am going to see if I can get one myself at full price since it is unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3