Is un-carrier 7.0 the reason why the HTC One M8 isn't sold in T-Mobile stores?

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
In this press release, T-Mobile promised that 100% of all phones sold in T-Mobile stores would be wi-fi capable.

Since the HTC One M8 currently doesn't offer wi-fi calling, they are limited to only selling it online. Perhaps this is already widely known, but I just connected the dots today.

I could offer a lot of commentary about how stupid this was of T-Mobile and/or HTC to release this without wi-fi calling, but I think I'm just preaching to the choir... :) Given that the M9 (android) is right around the corner, it's possible that a WP M9 is in the works too. My hunch is that the M8 will never see the inside of a T-Mobile retail store... Argh!!! Good thing I have JUMP. I love my M8, but I hate TMO's poor support.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the 810, and I was really disappointed it never got updated past Amber. No fitbit syncing for 810 owners...

It will be interesting to see how HTC Advantage will impact ongoing support for the M8 for Windows. Again, I'm glad I have JUMP.

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile makes a lot of false promises and I think your reasoning is spot-on. Also, I'll bet the Nexus 6 never gets WiFi calling though TMO claims "100% of our new phones will have WFC"

In this press release, T-Mobile promised that 100% of all phones sold in T-Mobile stores would be wi-fi capable.

Since the HTC One M8 currently doesn't offer wi-fi calling, they are limited to only selling it online. Perhaps this is already widely known, but I just connected the dots today.

I could offer a lot of commentary about how stupid this was of T-Mobile and/or HTC to release this without wi-fi calling, but I think I'm just preaching to the choir... :) Given that the M9 (android) is right around the corner, it's possible that a WP M9 is in the works too. My hunch is that the M8 will never see the inside of a T-Mobile retail store... Argh!!! Good thing I have JUMP. I love my M8, but I hate TMO's poor support.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't follow Android very much. Is the Nexus 6 sold in retail stores? If so, they have indeed broken their promise with Un-carrier 7.0.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
According to their Twitter support folks, WiFi calling will be on the M8 in an OTA update due this year, but they couldn't give me any idea of when in 2015 it would be released. If that's a factor in why it isn't in the stores, only TMo knows for sure. Another thing I find interesting is how the price keeps bouncing up and down. It was $585, then $535, then back up to $585 when I bought it day before Xmas, and now it's $635!

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
They have abandoned other devices before....Lumia 810 anyone?

The what? What does the new 64-bit snapdragon have to do with a Nokia? Okay, joking aside, I love my 810, and plan on using it till it dies. And personally... because of the 810, if I do get a M8 WP8, it'll be an unlocked international version.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'd stay away from T-Mobile when it comes to WP, as soon as you buy one it will receive maybe one update and then be forgotten about.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
True, but the OP wants Wi-Fi calling, which the international version doesn't have 😊.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Wi-Fi calling is not just software based. The M8 for Android has UMA built in, so, with the process used, unlocking the bootloader, flashing WP to it, then relocking it... There's no reason that the M8 for Windows won't have Wi-Fi calling. Chances are, T-Mobile is just finalizing the software for it and will push it in the next firmware update.

If I remember right, the Lumia 810 didn't get Wi-Fi calling until the third update to WP 8 and the 925 got it at the same time as it got Black. This would mean that T-Mobile pushed the M8 out to get it out. The XAP is done, so there's no issue there, it's just a question of functionality at this point.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Wi-Fi calling is not just software based. The M8 for Android has UMA built in, so, with the process used, unlocking the bootloader, flashing WP to it, then relocking it... There's no reason that the M8 for Windows won't have Wi-Fi calling. Chances are, T-Mobile is just finalizing the software for it and will push it in the next firmware update.

If I remember right, the Lumia 810 didn't get Wi-Fi calling until the third update to WP 8 and the 925 got it at the same time as it got Black. This would mean that T-Mobile pushed the M8 out to get it out. The XAP is done, so there's no issue there, it's just a question of functionality at this point.

I don't think the 810 ever got wi-fi calling. At least don't remember seeing it.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I'd have to go check back on mine and see again, but I thought it had popped up on there... If not, the hardware wasn't it in... Sorry if I was wrong on that one, but it may have been the 925 that it appeared on after the update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos