M8 on 10586

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
So today with all the buzz of the latest release on the 950 Lumias matching the preview build, let talk about it on the M8.

I've stayed away from it to date since I could test on an older 920 and found it much improved. I'm sure my speed gripes would be put to bed with the much faster M8. But what's missing, what's broken, has HTC updated any apps for W10? What might I miss from 8.1 and what's the gains? Not testing on a daily driver it's hard to get a feel of those things.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Everything is working wonderfully. Apart from the faulty processor (which ATT sent me four of these things which were equally faulty), there've been no issues. All apps updated VERY quickly (as opposed to my Lumias, which all refuse to download some core apps) and everything seems quite smooth.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had those store issues also on my 920, it's been better of late. So all the HTC stuff works yes? IR, Duo, Dot View etc

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
how about double tap to wake? thanks. I just can't decide if I want to jump to W10 on my phone. I suppose I'll have to sooner or later, but for now, it can be later.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't use dot view or double tap to wake, so I can't speak to those things.

I used the phone for the whole day today. Far fewer "hot phone" moments throughout the day than on 8.1. Really only experienced a few warm phone moments. I didn't use it any differently than usual. Music via BT on Groove (great to FINALLY have gapless - though it has a few hiccups to iron out occasionally; loved listening to Abbey Road without the gaps), Twitter, FB, Cortana, some web surfing. I'd usually be down to the 65-70% range for the battery after 7 hours. I was at 79% today. I'll see if that holds up, but I saw better battery life on day one.

Everything moved quite well. A few issues with voice commands over BT, but they may have changed in Groove. Love the new Outlook email client. SMS messaging is greatly improved. The new keyboard is phenomenal, especially if you want to cursor over to edit a word. The little nubbin works great.

Holding the phone right now as it is plugged in, it is cool. Under 8.1 it would usually be warm.

I'm sure there a couple little patches that may be needed for the build. RTM nowadays usually gets a few. But overall I'm impressed. The M8 feels like a new phone.

Just turned on double tap to wake. Worked just fine. All the Dot View settings are there too, but I don't have a case to test that.

originalstarlite

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, this is true. Even swiping down on cover activates Cortana. But still no actual dot view screens. So a dot view cover is a piece of plastic covering the screen with no function after that. HTC must send us an update for this to occur again.

At least the strange glitch from the last build has been patched. Previously, no matter how hard I tried to turn off the phone, the phone would turn itself on if it were in the dot view case.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
No issues on mine over past few days. I live in an area with horrible data reception my battery life would improve greatly turning off the cellular data. Maybe 2% battery drain per hour if not touched. No crashes or issues since updating.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Just put 10586 on mine last night. So far, everything is almost perfect. W10M is more mature than 8.1 for sure, and I love the new features. Double tap to wake and lock do work perfectly. My two complaints are Messaging and battery life. Messaging is buggy, and for some reason half my contacts that are linked with Skype, I'm unable to message using Skype. Only half my contacts though, the others are fine. Battery life hasn't been terrible but has decreased from 8.1. For me, a typical day on 8.1 would have 10% drain every 1.5 hours or so. I'm now getting about 10% drain every hour, depending on usage of course. Messaging is also showing to be the biggest culprit of battery drain, with a lot of it happening in the background.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Didn't stop by the old forum for a bit to where I noticed this thread. My HTC One did pretty good on the last update. It had button freezes occasionally and an occasional lock out but rebooting phone usually fixed them. The text didn't always align with it's box on a button but the new version has fixed that. It's gotten to the point on this release that I'm no longer craving the 950 as this one is plenty spiffy. As one person just mentioned on here, it feels like a new phone. Everything is faster, Pandora has released a Windows 10 version and it is very slick. I'm happy and the battery life seems to be very similar to the original although today it's almost down all the way. (9%) It might be that I was sick today and kept playing with the phone all day.

MG

nkaufmann5

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Just put 10586 on mine last night. So far, everything is almost perfect. W10M is more mature than 8.1 for sure, and I love the new features. Double tap to wake and lock do work perfectly. My two complaints are Messaging and battery life. Messaging is buggy, and for some reason half my contacts that are linked with Skype, I'm unable to message using Skype. Only half my contacts though, the others are fine. Battery life hasn't been terrible but has decreased from 8.1. For me, a typical day on 8.1 would have 10% drain every 1.5 hours or so. I'm now getting about 10% drain every hour, depending on usage of course. Messaging is also showing to be the biggest culprit of battery drain, with a lot of it happening in the background.

Messages may be restoring. Most phones do this for a little bit.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Well the feed back was patchy so I went ahead and took the plunge, wish I hadn't.

HTC apps are all broken, you can take pictures but since the editing app crashes what's the point. IR unavailable, dot view not working also.

I had massive battery issues in day one so I reset in day two. That's lost me the full suite of Here apps as they have been pulled from the store, no navigation, great job MS. It seems stable thou, hopefully the reset fixed the drain and charging issues but I'm yet to re-enable Cortana.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I took the plunge and installed W10 Mobile TP on my M8. So far, its ok and I'm enjoying the new and improved UI. I understand this is still in beta so this isn't a complaint post. I understand there are bugs. I have two questions.

I'm not sure if they are bugs or I'm doing something wrong. My tiles are solid color and can't get them transparent. I have slid the "tile transparency" slider in the Start setting in both directions but my tiles remain a solid color. Is that a bug or am I missing something?

Also, on 8.1 SMS messages there was a little mic icon that could be clicked to verbalize a message. I can't find that mic icon in the messaging app on WP10. Am I not seeing it or is that a bug also?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Also, on 8.1 SMS messages there was a little mic icon that could be clicked to verbalize a message. I can't find that mic icon in the messaging app on WP10. Am I not seeing it or is that a bug also?
I have 10 on my 925 and a 640. Both have the mic icon just above the "Q".

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Ok, thank you. I am missing that. The only thing above my Q is the paper clip. I am sure with a future update it will show up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon