Just brought HTC One M8 for windows

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I really like the phone, but I still struggle to figure out how to take a decent pic in variable lighting.

The processor is great, and I have had no issues with heating. Battery seems to look like it drops quickly from 100-65 or so, then takes a long time for the rest. It doesn't discharge at all in standy mode - like maybe 4% overnight.

Great phone overall - and someday I'll figure out the picture thing.

MMissionary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I really like the phone, but I still struggle to figure out how to take a decent pic in variable lighting.

The processor is great, and I have had no issues with heating. Battery seems to look like it drops quickly from 100-65 or so, then takes a long time for the rest. It doesn't discharge at all in standy mode - like maybe 4% overnight.

Great phone overall - and someday I'll figure out the picture thing.
Camera is 4mp on the rear. It's not very good if you like quality but gets the job done for me. I'm perplexed by the over heating issues as it'll happen when it's charging or when I'm doing very little. Current theory is I sometimes have bad signal.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
here's an example. in real life, the trees in the foreground were green, and I could see them clearly. if I focused on the trees, the sky was a big blur. I tried a whole lot of different settings, but just couldn't get it. this is the all stock no adjustments pic.

Is there something i'm missing?

IMAG00079.jpg

MMissionary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Seems that backup assistant plus is the suspect for my Battery woes. I'm on windows 10 latest build (runs excellent on here except for Dot view) and I can't open the Battery assistant app, uninstall, or disable it in the background. Help?

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
My battery has never been a problem on this phone for as long as I've owned it. Never had had any heating up problems with so not sure what is up with that. It would be nice if there was a way to just quickly see what I'm doing that you're not since I use this phone as a daily driver and pull it up anytime I'm just bored to read news or look at the weather. I play Pandora all the time as well as my own music mostly on Bluetooth...

And as I said before I'm just thinking I could wait on the 950 at this point since it works so well on the latest Window 10 build. It's just a smart looking phone.

MG

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
here's an example. in real life, the trees in the foreground were green, and I could see them clearly. if I focused on the trees, the sky was a big blur. I tried a whole lot of different settings, but just couldn't get it. this is the all stock no adjustments pic.

Is there something i'm missing?

View attachment 116900
That's just because it is an htc. Have you tried proshot camera? I heard for some m8 owners it worked better for them

Its camera is the biggest reasoning this phone is inferior tome tbh. Still no clue what HTC was thinking.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had the One M8 Windows phone since it came out. It's been great in every way. I usually want the latest phone but I don't see anything that I like better. What I can't figure out is why on Android the One is a highly rated and desirable flagship but on Windows not so much.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had the One M8 Windows phone since it came out. It's been great in every way. I usually want the latest phone but I don't see anything that I like better. What I can't figure out is why on Android the One is a highly rated and desirable flagship but on Windows not so much.

It's quite simple. The HTC phone is one of the better android models. If I could stomach android I'd own a htc one or Sony. I fond Samsung to be utter crap and lg and Moto to be irrelevant.

On the flipside, in the windows arena, the competition is less and most windows phone users have chosen Lumia.
While htc can compete against many android phones HTC can't compete against Lumia.

There iisno iinnovativephone from htc to march the 1020 .

There is no phablet to match the 1520
TThee are no surprise mini bad-*** low end phones like the 635, 640, 735, and 520.
There are no decent midranges' like the 640 xl and Lumia 830.
There is the one....which is aan android rehash that came out like 6 months later that HTC barely acknowledges and supports.

Coupled with its weak camera and a bunch of gimmicks, its really no surprise that the demand and desire is nearly nonexistent.

What's sad is I have seen more excitement for the jade primo than the m8 windows ever got. And this is coming from an Acer.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There is the one....which is aan android rehash that came out like 6 months later that HTC barely acknowledges and supports.
No support? How many of the vaunted Lumias got Update 2? The 1520 - no, 1020 - no, 930/929 - no. Fact is, only the 640, 830 and 735 got it, not exactly a murderer's row of Windows Phones. Heck, even the Blu Win HD LTE got the Update 2 love.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No support? How many of the vaunted Lumias got Update 2? The 1520 - no, 1020 - no, 930/929 - no. Fact is, only the 640, 830 and 735 got it, not exactly a murderer's row of Windows Phones. Heck, even the Blu Win HD LTE got the Update 2 love.

Didn't Microsoft announce it specifically for new lumias? That argument makes zero sense.

Now for example the Lumia 810 not getting windows phone 8.1, is something to be and about. Not that it is Microsoft fault. But you can't day none of the lumias besides those got it when it was specifically known to be meant for those models.

HTC Has poor support. It it what it is. They did better with the m8 compared to their older models but still poor support.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
My battery has never been a problem on this phone for as long as I've owned it. Never had had any heating up problems with so not sure what is up with that. It would be nice if there was a way to just quickly see what I'm doing that you're not since I use this phone as a daily driver and pull it up anytime I'm just bored to read news or look at the weather. I play Pandora all the time as well as my own music mostly on Bluetooth...

And as I said before I'm just thinking I could wait on the 950 at this point since it works so well on the latest Window 10 build. It's just a smart looking phone.

MG
whats your battery life like?

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
whats your battery life like?

I can tell you mine - heavy use, 1 Exchange account (work), hundreds of emals, lots of photos, Whatsapp - though no gaming..
Even when roaming (so battery drains faster) I can easily go through 1 working day and still have battery to spare.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I loved my Nokia 928 and my Icon, they were great phones. Horrible battery life on the Icon made me reluctantly give the M8 a try. I am very happy with the phone. I miss the Icon camera, shutter button and wireless charging. Other than that I find the M8 to be a better device. It feels better, I love the on screen navigation and the sound is spectacular! Battery life is pretty good. I take it off the charger at around 6:00 am. It gets me through with fairly heavy use until around 10:00 pm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb