Should I?

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I keep looking at this phone, it looks great but....How well do they work on T-Mobile? And are the Verizon variants' unlocked? I'm thinking about getting a refurbished one.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't waste the cash. Its a decent phone but htc barely acknowledges it and they have a history of dropping their devices. See their past windows phones and unhappy customers.

It was good in 2014 though both the1520 and icon/930 are both better products in my opinion.

If you want a refurbished older model go for one of those I mentioned above.

Even with the insider program, id be concerned about firmware updates and htc isn't trustworthy.

Also I've heard weird things about Verizon phones on att ans tmobile. Technically they are unlocked but you may have data issues or mms issues. So be sure to check to see if the m8 actually fully supports tmobile.

But I seriously suggest buying an unlocked 1520(they are $180 on expansys usa) or unlocked 930. Unlocked is my new preference

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I keep looking at this phone, it looks great but....How well do they work on T-Mobile? And are the Verizon variants' unlocked? I'm thinking about getting a refurbished one.

The Verizon variant is unlocked but I can't vouch for it's compatibility with T-Mobile.

That said, I'd definitely pick one up. I've had many many Windows Phones and the M8 is definitely my favorite. I had all three of the most recent gen 'flagships' - Lumia Icon, Samsung ATIV SE, HTC M8 - and the M8 is the best of the lot. The physical design is great. It fits perfectly in your hand and pockets. And the metal casing feels premium. By comparison, the Icon/930 is a brick and the Samsung chrome paint peels off.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Not too sure about Verizon going over to Tmobile but I'm sure it's a Google thing waiting to happen. I think I might have heard it worked but not completely. My HTC One for Windows is a Verizon one and it seems to have taken to the latest Windows 10 Insider update as if it was tailored for it. I really like the phone and I put on a screen shot to make me believe... It's updated the date since I did this screen shot but you get the idea...

WindowsScreenShot.jpg

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion the HTC M8 is the best Windows phone on the market and with the upgrade to Windows 10 it is even better than the new 950.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The M8 is the best phone I've ever owned and NEVER had an issue with it (I might have just jinxed myself). In the world of tech devices its old. That alone would make me think twice before forking out the cash though.

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

Totally in the same boat as new. Amazon has a "Like new" HTC M8 for Windows for $195. I think I'll try it. My first ever smartphone was a HTC Touch Diamond 2, and then the HTC HD2. Still the best phones ever! :)

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

I answered previously but with no real answer. I took a Verizon M8 for Windows and inserted the Tmobile SIM. I can tell you now that just moving the SIM cards will allow you to use the phone as a phone as it turns out the Tmobile IPhone 6 plus has the same SIM as the HTC One for Windows. I plugged it in today to see how it acted. Identified Tmobile as the band to be used, told me it would use data, etc. I dialed my kid up and he got the phone call from the phone number that was locked to the IPhone SIM card I had just inserted. Data? Not so much. I think though if memory serves you can add APN's or something like that. Someone here probably knows. For now though it doesn't work for data. All your APPS that go online just spit out an error message.

I'll probably even know more tomorrow since we have an extra phone that is on Tmobile and I just traded it in for the new MS 950 opting to keep the Verizon HTC One for Windows. If I can make it work on the Tmobile line I'll keep it. Otherwise I'll sell it.

Good luck...

MG

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've owned 2 Icon's and the HTC. Except for the camera and the wireless charging, the HTC beats it. They each have their fine points and I really liked both of them. I seriously miss the camera on the Icon though. But I'm very happy with the HTC as my daily driver.

It's funny the previous poster talks about HTC being the one quick to discontinue when the Icon was dropped so fast people didn't realize how short it was on the market. In fact, it's the reason why I have the HTC (broke both of my previous Icon's).

And don't forget that you get access to all the HTC accessories including third party because the Android version (which uses the same accessories) was popular.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the HTC One M8 for Windows on Verizon. You have to tinker with the APN settings but it does work on T-Mobile (data, call, texting). I took it overseas to Europe and everything worked as well.

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I have the HTC One M8 for Windows on Verizon. You have to tinker with the APN settings but it does work on T-Mobile (data, call, texting). I took it overseas to Europe and everything worked as well.

That's good to hear! I am picking up a Verizon version and bringing it back to Europe in two days. Decided to go with the M8 vs the new Lumia 950, as Amazon had it for $194... :)

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The only caveat I had with the M8 in Europe, sometimes the 3G data isn't as strong as say the iPhone. I suspect some countries use different antennas that might be missing in the M8. I would research that part a bit more. Texting worked well though.

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
The only caveat I had with the M8 in Europe, sometimes the 3G data isn't as strong as say the iPhone. I suspect some countries use different antennas that might be missing in the M8. I would research that part a bit more. Texting worked well though.

Thanks for the info. Verizon's version has the same 3G bands as the iPhone, AT&T is missing some.

Micah Caley

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
HTC One M8 user here. I absolutely enjoy the phone, and you'd be getting a solid device for however much it runs for nowadays. As others have said, the Verizon variant (of which I own!) does work on GSM carriers, and as someone who's on T-Mobile, you'll have the phone work just fine with calling, SMS and cellular data.

My only two caveats: MMS will not work as the MMS APN settings cannot be edited, and cellular data will not work until you dial in the appropriate data APN settings. This being said, though, I totally recommend the phone. Best of luck!

Bill Berry

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
It really boils down to how and what you plan to do with the device. What I could do with the HD2 spoiled me to this very day. I can't stand the white on black or the black on white notification bar; I miss the color and customization the Rom developers over on XDA created. But that's me! I don't need a "fancy-smancy" camera; it does what I need it to do; nothing more, nothing less. I deliberately bought the Verizon variant knowing it would be GSM unlocked. I wasn't aware at the time I bought it that Verizon made sure it wouldn't play nice on other carrier's MMS settings and internet sharing. I rarely use SMS, and never use MMS, so no biggie; my inability to use internet sharing was a big deal but at the time I bought the M8W, I was aware of the app Tether-X. I've had no problems using the proxy on my laptop. The device will accept T-Mobile and AT&T, Straight Talk and again it's Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, and AT&T settings and many other MVNOs. What I've learned about APN settings is just how many settings there are. I use Straight Talk on Verizon towers and I use the Verizon Wireless branded APN settings. I can't speak for T-Mobile and AT&T but having owned the M7, I had T-Mobile LTE and AT&T 3G HSPA. It's my understanding LTE works across the board on the M8A and the M8W. I did my homework on the M8W; knowing Verizon would likely not play nice, so do your homework before buying a WP and know what you're getting. I never and I mean never buy a phone new right out the gate. And let me be honest; I'm sure the Lumia 950 and 950XL are excellent phones but before I shell out "new" money, I ask myself what is it that device has or will have that is so different from the M8W that I'd buy it instead of saving almost $500 in the here and now and as of this typing that would invite me to buy it; answer, none! Yes, the Lumia 950s have excellent cameras, so does the Canon SX series. However, all of us are different and with differing needs and there's nothing wrong with that either! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all; take care, I'll see many of you on the other side...2016!

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes... The HD2... I remember when I got my HD2 I was simply awed... Hands down best experience ever with a device - and I also miss the devving and customizing, even with Windows Mobile 6.5 :)

It really boils down to how and what you plan to do with the device. What I could do with the HD2 spoiled me to this very day. I can't stand the white on black or the black on white notification bar; I miss the color and customization the Rom developers over on XDA created. But that's me! I don't need a "fancy-smancy" camera; it does what I need it to do; nothing more, nothing less. I deliberately bought the Verizon variant knowing it would be GSM unlocked. I wasn't aware at the time I bought it that Verizon made sure it wouldn't play nice on other carrier's MMS settings and internet sharing. I rarely use SMS, and never use MMS, so no biggie; my inability to use internet sharing was a big deal but at the time I bought the M8W, I was aware of the app Tether-X. I've had no problems using the proxy on my laptop. The device will accept T-Mobile and AT&T, Straight Talk and again it's Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, and AT&T settings and many other MVNOs. What I've learned about APN settings is just how many settings there are. I use Straight Talk on Verizon towers and I use the Verizon Wireless branded APN settings. I can't speak for T-Mobile and AT&T but having owned the M7, I had T-Mobile LTE and AT&T 3G HSPA. It's my understanding LTE works across the board on the M8A and the M8W. I did my homework on the M8W; knowing Verizon would likely not play nice, so do your homework before buying a WP and know what you're getting. I never and I mean never buy a phone new right out the gate. And let me be honest; I'm sure the Lumia 950 and 950XL are excellent phones but before I shell out "new" money, I ask myself what is it that device has or will have that is so different from the M8W that I'd buy it instead of saving almost $500 in the here and now and as of this typing that would invite me to buy it; answer, none! Yes, the Lumia 950s have excellent cameras, so does the Canon SX series. However, all of us are different and with differing needs and there's nothing wrong with that either! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all; take care, I'll see many of you on the other side...2016!

mageman17

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
While we're talking about using the One M8W outside of Verizon, which one of the three carrier versions is overseas-friendly? The Verizon version definitely, but tethering is disabled, you have to manually put the APN settings for mobile data, and the most I get on my Atv SE is H+.

Tl:dr, can the at&t or t-mobile version catch some overseas LTE or 4G bands and be easy to use like phones you can buy locally?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel