HTC One M8: How to switch from Windows to Android?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I bought my HTC One M8 because Microsoft said it would be upgraded to Windows 10, and I was looking forward to it. I've been aching for Windows 10 for quite some time since most apps for Windows 8 are dated, and their lack of availability, and limitations when available are severely impacting my professional life. With Microsoft breaking yet another promise and stringing me alone for more months than promised, I need to switch to Android partially in spite, but also to finally move on and get a platform that works with the tools I need to do my job. I hoped that would be Windows 10, but alas, here we are.

What version of Android do I need, and how can I uninstall windows and install Android on my HTC One M8?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Android on a WP? not possible.. pre-wp7 it was I think :/

If you are looking for guidance on which android phone you should get, Android Central is probably the place to be.

markryb

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I am currently running 10586.164 and runs very well.... the only time I get an occasional "hiccup" is when I am playing "word w/friends" with my wife.. ( i suspect that is in an 8.1 app that causes random ( once every few weeks) crash of that app ( NO other issues while using the phone .. works great )
I just read an article that HTC states it is not an issue with their phone/hardware ( more than capable to run w10 !!) it was Microsoft decision to drop the phone .... have to wait and see if anything changes ( I can Hope )

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Let's hope that they change their mind.

If you go to Android, it'll boil down to what your budget is and how you use the phone. Their are many good handsets out there and good deals to be had if you shop smartly. I'd suggest stick to the 2015 mid range and flagship models. Getting something from 2014 like the Android M8 isn't practical as you'll be in the same lack of software support issue once all the 2016 models come out.

You can still get your M8 sold. Or simply, you can still use it on build .164 if it meets your needs. The apps you use will still get updated, so even if the OS doesn't, you may not lose out much there.

It's your call on how you want to move going forward...

G4 Approved

Last edited:

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! That's a bummer. No one's going to want a Windows 8 phone. Looks like I've got an expensive paperweight. :/

Well, if it gets to the point where the phone isn't cutting the mustard, you can always stick it in the car and use it as a GPS and/or an OBD2 reader...to that end, I have AT&T and I told Maps to download all the map data to the phone. That might be an option for you later.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Why cant you? Just install the insiders preview.

He would only get as far as build 164 with that (which is still w10m), but the issue here is that he won't be getting any future updates :) however his phone (considering the specs) should be able to handle the Redstone updates "easily" (or as easy as anything is with w10 lol).

Build 164 is stable, but not nearly as stable as it should be and it isn't the same for everyone.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
He would only get as far as build 164 with that (which is still w10m), but the issue here is that he won't be getting any future updates :) however his phone (considering the specs) should be able to handle the Redstone updates "easily" (or as easy as anything is with w10 lol).

Build 164 is stable, but not nearly as stable as it should be and it isn't the same for everyone.

Well once his phone stops getting updates cant he just trick the updater into thinking his phone is a Lumia? And with its hardware it shouldn't have issue continuing on into redstone.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I am! Thanks for that! Super sad that I won't be able to enjoy Windows 10 on it, it's a great phone.

I have Windows 10 M on my HTC One M8 and it works great. Probably better than on my 1520. I think it does the preview very well but if you need to make a move, that's up to you but man, are you gonna miss out.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...how can I uninstall windows and install Android on my HTC One M8?

There is a "bootloader" mode that can be entered...

Power off your phone. Press and hold Power. As soon as the phone vibrates, release Power and hold down Volume Up and Volume Down until you see the "Barcode" screen. Release Volume Up and Volume Down.

Honestly, XDA is probably the place for this issue.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Well once his phone stops getting updates cant he just trick the updater into thinking his phone is a Lumia? And with its hardware it should have issue continuing on into redstone.

Would seem like a solution yes, but there's no way of knowing how the phone would handle emulating a different device so there's some risk tied to this route. Like RumoredNow stated, XDA might have the answer tho

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
There isn't a solution to this one as the bootloader is locked and HTC Dev won't unlock them like the Android models. It goes back to the fact that Windows 8 was a pay-per-install OS... It may become a possibility as MS releases the tools to load Win10 on Android devices, but for now, that's only select handsets, mostly based in China.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I was just able to download and install 10586.318 on my HTC One M8 a couple days ago. Might want to take a look. That said, Edge seems to hang for every page I try, so I'm using Surfy...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05