How to install Redstone 14356

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
(Apologies in advance for duplicate post, just want to ping as many thread subscribers as I can.)

So I just upgraded my dad's m8 One on Verizon to the latest Redstone RS1 .321 build. Unfortunately, stupid me did a hard reset despite reading I wasn't supposed to, and I lost the Data and MMS connection. I was successfully able to add back the Verizon APN settings so data is now working, however I'm unable to get the MMS info to work. I was able to unhide the setting via the RegEdit I found on these boards here:

https://apn.gishan.net/settings/os_..._10_internet_and_mms_settings_for_verizon.php

However all the settings I've seen on the internet still aren't working for send or receive of MMS. I tried using these here:

https://apn.gishan.net/settings/os_..._10_internet_and_mms_settings_for_verizon.php

The question is, are there Verizon MMS APN settings that have worked for anyone else adding them after the fact in Windows 10, or am I going to have to go all the way back to 8.1 and back to 10 again to get this one feature working on Verizon again?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

mostau

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
HTC ONE M8 RUNNING Windows 10 mobile reset instructions

#1 DO NOT START OR CONFIGURE BACKUP ASSISTANT PLUS.
This Verizon app is not compatible with Windows 10 and will drain battery in <4 hours if used.
The app cannot be removed, however a reset will allow it to be deactivated during the initial setup wizard.
Unfortunately this reset will also remove your Data and MMS APN's, preventing internet and MMS message access.

Use the following procedure to add the APN's back should a hard reset become necessary.

0 - Make sure you have the Interop Tools ARM folder and this procedure on a memory card.
You will need to reinstall it after the reset.
0 - To perform a hard reset choose "reset your phone" from All Settings\System\About
1 - After reset DO NOT configure backup assistant plus during the initial setup wizard (skip it).

Once the phone is back up from the reset perform the following.

1 - Go to Settings, Update & Security, For Developers, Enable Developer Mode
2 - Install Interop tools by double starting all the files in the folder as follows...
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3.appx
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.Debug.1.3.appx
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4.appx
Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.12.00.Universal.appx
Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.14.00.appx
Note: If you get any errors running any of these go back and rerun the failed app until they all install
InteropToolsApp_0.0.173.0_arm.appxbundle
3 - Start Interop Tools from the app list, select "This Device", "Registry Browser"
4 - Browse this registry path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX\HideMMSAPN
5 - Change the value to 00000000
6 - Tap on Write
7 - Now go to the Settings and add the APN's as described below
---- These settings are carrier specific ----
Verizon 4G LTE APN Settings for Windows Phones – Nokia Lumia, HTC

Here are the steps to follow...
1 - All Settings\Network & wireless\Cellular & SIM

2 - Select "SIM Settings"

3 - Press the "Update Settings" button under Mobile Operator (I did this while troubleshooting and it appeared to have no effect, but later when I added an MMS APN it worked. Others have added it as described below and it did not work, so maybe this is a required step to fix MMS).

4 - Select "Add an Internet APN"
•Profile Name: Verizon
•APN: vzwinternet
•Username: blank
•Password: blank
•Type of sign-in info: PAP
•Use APN for LTE and replace the one from my mobile operated: checked
•Proxy server: blank
•Proxy port: blank
•Apply this profile: checked
Click Save

5 - Select "Add an MMS APN"
•Profile Name: Verizon
•APN: vzwinternet
•Username: blank
•Password: blank
•Type of sign-in info: PAP
•IP Type: IPv4v6
•Proxy server: blank
•Proxy port: blank
•MMSC (URL): http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms
MMSC port: blank
•Maximum MMS size (KB): 2048
•Apply this profile: checked
Click Save

Last edited:

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

This Verizon app is not compatible with Windows 10 and will drain battery in <4 hours if used.
The app cannot be removed, however a reset will allow it to be deactivated during the initial setup wizard.
Unfortunately this reset will also remove your Data and MMS APN's, preventing internet and MMS message access.

Use the following procedure to add the APN's back should a hard reset become necessary.

0 - Make sure you have the Interop Tools ARM folder and this procedure on a memory card.
0 - To perform a hard reset choose "reset your phone" from All Settings\System\About
1 - After reset DO NOT configure backup assistant plus during the initial setup wizard (skip it).

2 - Install Interop tools by double starting all the files in the folder as follows...
Note: If you get any errors running any of these go back and rerun the failed app until they all install
3 - Start Interop Tools from the app list, select "This Device", "Registry Browser"
4 - Browse this registry path Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX\HideMMSAPN
6 - Tap on Write
Verizon 4G LTE APN Settings for Windows Phones ? Nokia Lumia, HTC

3 - Select "Add an Internet APN"
?Profile Name: Verizon
?APN: vzwinternet
?Username: blank
?Password: blank
?Type of sign-in info: PAP
?Use APN for LTE and replace the one from my mobile operated: checked
?Proxy server: blank
?Proxy port: blank
?Apply this profile: checked
Click Save

3 - Select "Add an MMS APN"
?IP Type: IPv4
?MMSC (URL): http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms
MMSC port: blank or 80
?Maximum MMS size (KB): 2048
Click Save

Thank you for the settings Mostau. The data settings work, unfortunately however, the MMS APN settings are not working. I've entered exactly as posted, and even did a soft reset. When I try to send a photo, it just says "can't send". When I try to recieve a photo, it shows a little "Download" box, but when you press it, nothing happens and no photo downloads.

Does it take time for the settings to kick in? Or is there no way to set MMS APN manually with this phone? (even though it shows the profile as applied.)

Thank you in advance!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

4 - Browse this registry path Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX\HideMMSAPN
6 - Tap on Write
Verizon 4G LTE APN Settings for Windows Phones ? Nokia Lumia, HTC

3 - Select "Add an Internet APN"
?Use APN for LTE and replace the one from my mobile operated: checked
Click Save

3 - Select "Add an MMS APN"
?IP Type: IPv4
?MMSC (URL): http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms
MMSC port: blank or 80
?Maximum MMS size (KB): 2048
Click Save

Thank you for the settings Mostau. The data settings work, unfortunately however, the MMS APN settings are not working. I've entered exactly as posted, and even did a soft reset. When I try to send a photo, it just says "can't send". When I try to receive a photo, it shows a little "Download" box, but when you press it, nothing happens and no photo downloads.

Does it take time for the settings to kick in? Or is there no way to set MMS APN manually with this phone? (even though it shows the profile as applied.)

Thank you in advance!

mostau

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
The settings are working for me, except I am using IPv4v6 for IP type and a blank MMSC port. I have sent and received several pictures and group texts since then. Good luck.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
The settings are working for me, except I am using IPv4v6 for IP type and a blank MMSC port. I have sent and received several pictures and group texts since then. Good luck.

Huh, weird. I just tried changing to IPv4v6 and used that with a blank MMSC port (and with it set to 80), and it didn't work either of those ways either. Still getting same results. "Couldn't send, Try Again." And "Download" box that does nothing when receiving. Looks like I may have to go back to 8.1 and start over again... super frustrating :(

Parsa Rostamy

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I update my AT&T One M8 from 10586.445 to anniversary update 14393.321 (Release Preview Ring) with this method successfully :cool:
every thing works fine :)
thank you guys

mostau

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Huh, weird. I just tried changing to IPv4v6 and used that with a blank MMSC port (and with it set to 80), and it didn't work either of those ways either. Still getting same results. "Couldn't send, Try Again." And "Download" box that does nothing when receiving. Looks like I may have to go back to 8.1 and start over again... super frustrating :(
One more thing to try, I did press the update settings button under Mobile Operator. Not sure that had an effect or not, but MMS definitely working on my phone after I added the MMS APN (I was even able to click the Download button on messages I had previously received and get the pictures).
Good Luck!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
One more thing to try, I did press the update settings button under Mobile Operator. Not sure that had an effect or not, but MMS definitely working on my phone after I added the MMS APN (I was even able to click the Download button on messages I had previously received and get the pictures).
Good Luck!

Doh! I wonder if that would have helped. I already restored my dads phone back to 8.1 and then re-upgraded to Win10 Redstone without doing a hard reset this time. All is working again :)

Thanks for your help Mostau!

mostau

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Doh! I wonder if that would have helped. I already restored my dads phone back to 8.1 and then re-upgraded to Win10 Redstone without doing a hard reset this time. All is working again :)

Thanks for your help Mostau!

I updated the original procedure to include it just in case . Maybe it will help the next person.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
The interop tools ZIP file contained other apps (in a subfolder called dependencies) that I also had to install. I didn't need to download the SDK. I also didn't have to connect my phone to my PC. Assuming you're already using an Insider build, it was as simple as:

1. Download Interop Tools
  2. Unzip, move files to phone
  3. Turn on Dev mode on phone
  4. Install dependencies
  5. Install Interop
  6. Run Interop and make 3 registry changes
  7. Download/install Redstone
  8. Rerun Interop and undo 3 registry changes

I'm on AT&T FWIW. I haven't hard reset yet (don't have the need), but that could be step 9.

Worth it for me. Still issues, but fewer than the Threshold builds, and some neat new features.

M8 on AT&T, running WM10 from the latest preview build. I've tried installing the dependencies, no dice. Tried installing the SDK, no dice. Tried to install Interop Tools, no dice. Maybe I'll try again in a week after I forget everything...

calculon68

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I finally attempted this on my AT&T M8 running 10586.107. Reg edits went okay, Fast Ring d/l 14393.67 just fine. But every time I attempt to install (stops at 2% completion) it gives me one of two error codes:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code (0x80070570)
Some update files are missing or have problems. Error code (0x80073712)

Google search says these errors are related to SD card storage, and I've removed the SD card from the "Storage" profile. I still get the error(s). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mostau

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I finally attempted this on my AT&T M8 running 10586.107. Reg edits went okay, Fast Ring d/l 14393.67 just fine. But every time I attempt to install (stops at 2% completion) it gives me one of two error codes:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code (0x80070570)
Some update files are missing or have problems. Error code (0x80073712)

Google search says these errors are related to SD card storage, and I've removed the SD card from the "Storage" profile. I still get the error(s). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The fast ring is getting redstone 2 now. I would suggest the release preview ring to get the anniversary branch.

starpageup

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I have just installed Windows 10 Mobile 14965.1001 (RS2 - Creators Update Preview) over 14393.67 on my HTC One M8 T-Mo. I used Nokia registry settings in Interop Tool for this as mentioned in the first post here. No other hack used.

So far the update is looking good. Will update back in case of any major issues.

Thanks.

Note: It took a little longer at the blue windows logo screen after the reboot after gears screen. But the phone came back on easy.
Also I reverted the Registry settings back to HTC One M8 T-Mo original after I did the update.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I was automatically updated to 14965.1001 a couple weeks (I'm on Fast Preview) and all was working fine however on Nov 24 I lost all use of my cellular data. Everything works fine on WI-FI. I've tried many reboots, soft resets and finally called Verizon and nothing worked so they suggested a Hard Reset which as noted on this forum I do not want to do if possible. Anyone have this lost Cellular Data use issue or know how to fix or what to look at without a Hard Reset? Anyone know how I can go back to the previous Build as it worked great?

mostau

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I suggest you press the "Update Settings" button under Mobile Operator and see if that helps (see my "HTC ONE M8 RUNNING Windows 10 mobile reset instructions" earlier in this thread). That might help.

If that does not work you can use Brandon_T_R's procedure to go back to a previous version, but if you are going to do that you might as well perform a hard reset and then use my reset instructions to add the data and MMS apn's back. That will save you a boatload of time if it works. Good Luck!

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
"Update Settings" didn't work so I used your post on how to add my Data and MMS apn's back, then "Update Settings", then did a reboot and my data and MMS are now back. Somehow I lost those apn's; maybe my phone somehow did a hard reset itself. Anyway I'm on the latest W10 release and up and running again. Thanks a lot...

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Here's what I did:

Registry Hive: HKey_Local_Machine
Registry Type: String
Registry Key Path: SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
Registry Value Name: PhoneManufacturer
Registry Value Data: NOKIA

Hit Write Data

Repeat it again for the other two

I suggest you uninstall the older Interop Unlock tools and download the latest one from think link: Interop Tools Appx for Windows 10 Mobile - r… | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

Since it's installed in System, you need to go to Settings\Systems\Storage\This Device\Apps & Games to uninstall it

The newer version (I used InteropToolsApp_beta_1.7_0.0.157.0_arm.zip - [Click for QR Code] (17.82 MB, 20506 views)) is no longer crashed.

I had the same issue. Interop would crash if I tried to browse under Platform and several other folders once I drilled down to Local Machine/System. So, I followed your steps and edited one at a time, using the Lumia 735 info.
To return to "normal", I used HTC and 0P6B140, which is what T-Mobile also uses.

So far so good; my phone is running 14393.448, after it installed last night.

mountainkiter

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I have updated my htc one m8 from developer preview , to slow and now fast ring. Through all of theses I have continued to have intermittent freezing while using the phone (like unable to hang up without power off, power on, then end call. Also still dropping data like LTE or difficulties with handoffs wifi to LTE. This was a clean reboot without restore and now continued Freezing and required Reboots. The only time this phone has been good is on 8.1. Anyone else having these problems. I still have the phone set for nokia 735. Do you think this could get better by interops back to normal HTC one settings now. I am on 14977.1000 . Battery is good, just tired of reboots.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I was having problems with going from wifi back to data and often reboots then finally could not get any data use. I finally added my data back using the above process from mostau. I am also on 14977.1000 with no problems anymore. I switched interops back to HTC one settings a long time ago but I doubt that is your problem. If adding your data back doesn't work, you are going to have to do a full factory reset and start from scratch remembering to also add back your data. Long process if you have to reset but W10 is working great for me so don't give up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos