How to install Redstone 14356

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It looks like 15055 got pushed to my phone. And, I just discovered Cortana gets reset to NOT reading texts with headsets during the update process. You have to change the setting again.
When asking Cortana to play Sammy Hagar "Trans Am" and other songs, Groove comes up with the right song, but does not begin to play. Have to tap play twice to start. Also have to tap twice if i manually select a song. Not what you want when driving. Songs are stored on the phone, by the way.
Battery life is definitely better.
I did give this feedback already.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
After driving about 1500 miles with headsets, Cortana is quirky about replies in this 15055 build. If I have the phone unlocked on the thread I get a new response on, it will ask me if I want to read it. But if my phone is locked, no joy. Unless I responded to another text within the last 30 seconds or so. Then Cortana will work like it's supposed to. But, when you try to reply, no dice. Period.

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Apparently after my reset and 15051 slow ring install i have not been able to send or receive picture messages. I have checked my MMS & SMS settings and even my APN settings. But to be honest MMS settings are fairly easy to understand. The APN on the other hand is a little confusing.
Does anybody here have any input? And thanks in advance.

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere once about Verizon and an APN problem when factory reset was performed. I might have to skim this thread again. It's amazing how much information has been passed through this thread.

jbodenhe

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I just got an HTC one m8 fot att and I'm not computer savy. Is there a simple step by step guide to get Win 10? I had a Lumia 950. It bricked and I got this for cheap.

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the thread. I'm assuming you have windows 8.1 although I have Verizon but I did this with the insider app and interop tools but I'm pretty sure this process has changed since but I can assure you that this will be your best place to get your answers so don't steer clear of this thread. I would start by trying to download the windows insider app. I'm not sure it will be there though some things have changed. Make sure you read this thread in its entirety too. Good luck. And just keep asking. There is some great people here willing to share.

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Many of the quick launch apps don't work correctly; flashlight, brightness, rotation, Bluetooth, etc. I have to open and close the main screen just to get them to work properly as they often just lock up.

This release is so bad that I finally did the real no/no last night and did a full hard reset to start over. THAT WAS A BIG MISTAKE. I was hoping to start fresh with BAP and try to get back to 15025. Unfortunately, I didn't take into consideration my backup would not just be my Apps and settings but when I applied the backup, it started me off right at 15031. Then, I lost a few Apps that are no longer even available in the Store but they worked fine before the reset; I had to manually reinstall about 10 Apps; I had to open every App to give them permissions and get each going; I lost all 10 of my Bluetooth connects and because 15031 can't add them back, I now have no Bluetooth; I lost Interop Tools so will have to add those back if I don't get future updates and need to change the HTC settings again; I can't get any of my downloaded ringtones to be under sounds so I can pick them for my individual contact ring and text sounds as those were all dropped with the reset; etc., etc.

5 hours later, 4 in the morning, I finally had things relatively going again then researched all day today on how to get back to 15025. It's basically impossible unless you do a hard reset then start from scratch installing W10 (meaning you don't use your backup) which is absolutely crazy.

I'm at my wits end with this...........

Did you run into apn and mms problems during all this?

Last edited:

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
15063 installed last night. And this happened even though previously, I set my phone back to HTC settings with Interop Tools. But I did one thing different this time. I used HTC as PhoneManufacturer, 0P6B140 for PhoneManufacturerModelName, but I used One M8 for PhoneModelName. Previously, I used the same 0P info for the last two, and never saw an update. This might be of use for those trying to update from 8.1 to 10. Although, it may not help until after WM 10 is installed.
[edit] These settings are for AT&T. T-mobile seems to be the same.
Initial review: I see that Cortana kept my settings for read texts aloud (Yea!) I did (thanks Wayne!!) change my Insider settings to Release Preview after the update. Not really ready for the Cortana headaches again.
The Store and Feedback Hub apps both updated, as stated in the 15063 update post. (Yea!). I do all my updates manually. Yes, it means I can get a slew of them sometimes, but I'd rather know what's getting updated.
Haven't explored much else yet. Pulldown list from the top of the screen looks unchanged (thanks MS), the darker translucent home screen is still under the alpha list of programs (good). All my apps look to be in place too.
[edit #2 ] I notice that the release preview option is again available in the Windows Insider drop down box. It was absent in the previous couple of builds.

Last edited:

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Well thanks to mostau's post back on page 13 (early thread pages) I was able to fix this issue with picture and or mms problems. I basically just opened mms settings up using interop tool and implanted some server information and done. Thanks again to this thread. I am also on 15063 now too dave seems fine so far. I had to update. 051 started getting real buggy. I noticed there is a release preview option in this build also so I moved to that for now.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I just got an HTC one m8 for att and I'm not computer savy. Is there a simple step by step guide to get Win 10? I had a Lumia 950. It bricked and I got this for cheap.

Welcome to the Forum. I'd say you are in the right place. The M8 is a very good phone, in my opinion. I've had mine two years now. (Sorry the 950 took a dump)
As for updating to Windows 10 Mobile, I think the clues are all in this thread, but I was among those who took the plunge before the M8 was kicked off the "official" list, so I do not have experience doing the update like you need to.
However, I think the steps are roughly the same. The key is renaming your phone to one that is on the list. That is where Interop Tools comes in.
Take a look at these posts inside this thread:
see post 25 for Interop Tools install help, post 11 or 12 for link to Interop Tools link, post 1 for edits for a Verizon M8. AT&T and T-mobile are in posts 274 and 21 respectively. I used Lumia 735 settings initially to get my phone into the ring.
Interop Tools should install as the thread says, although it took me a few tries before it worked. SO, don't give up if it doesn't go the first time. Read the instructions on those posts. Including where you need to put the phone into developer mode. Your phone will give you a warning statement when you do this, but you have to in order to get Interop Tools installed. And to make the (3) registry edits.
You will also need to download the windows insider app.
As Matt says, read through the thread and keep asking questions...

jbodenhe

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum. I'd say you are in the right place. The M8 is a very good phone, in my opinion. I've had mine two years now. (Sorry the 950 took a dump)
As for updating to Windows 10 Mobile, I think the clues are all in this thread, but I was among those who took the plunge before the M8 was kicked off the "official" list, so I do not have experience doing the update like you need to.
However, I think the steps are roughly the same. The key is renaming your phone to one that is on the list. That is where Interop Tools comes in.
Take a look at these posts inside this thread:
see post 25 for Interop Tools install help, post 11 or 12 for link to Interop Tools link, post 1 for edits for a Verizon M8. AT&T and T-mobile are in posts 274 and 21 respectively. I used Lumia 735 settings initially to get my phone into the ring.
Interop Tools should install as the thread says, although it took me a few tries before it worked. SO, don't give up if it doesn't go the first time. Read the instructions on those posts. Including where you need to put the phone into developer mode. Your phone will give you a warning statement when you do this, but you have to in order to get Interop Tools installed. And to make the (3) registry edits.
You will also need to download the windows insider app.
As Matt says, read through the thread and keep asking questions...
Thank you. It's okay. I'm really liking the build quality for the HTC one M8.

This is where I'm currently stuck at the moment with trying to enable developer mode on my phone and sideload interop.(Unless I'm doing something incorrectly). I've unlocked and it with registering it, but I can't seem to enable it on my phone to go into developer mode to sideload Interop. I'm lost. My next attempt is to try that lengthy guide as my only option.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/on...dating-htc-m8-windows-8-1-to-windows-t3465796

Any other way around to get developer mode to show up on Windows 8.1 Update 2?

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Wow. That is a bit lengthy. I cannot say I know of any other methods.

In 15063 news, Cortana can't seem to connect to the Internet to allow sending a text. It will gather info for my day though?! This whether I am on LTE, or sitting 10 feet from my wifi hub... Rebooted the phone to no avail.

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Wow. That is a bit lengthy. I cannot say I know of any other methods.

In 15063 news, Cortana can't seem to connect to the Internet to allow sending a text. It will gather info for my day though?! This whether I am on LTE, or sitting 10 feet from my wifi hub... Rebooted the phone to no avail.

Hmm I have not used Cortana much yet. I ll have to check this out.

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. It's okay. I'm really liking the build quality for the HTC one M8.

This is where I'm currently stuck at the moment with trying to enable developer mode on my phone and sideload interop.(Unless I'm doing something incorrectly). I've unlocked and it with registering it, but I can't seem to enable it on my phone to go into developer mode to sideload Interop. I'm lost. My next attempt is to try that lengthy guide as my only option.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/on...dating-htc-m8-windows-8-1-to-windows-t3465796

Any other way around to get developer mode to show up on Windows 8.1 Update 2?
Developer mode setting was always under update & security as long as I can remember. I would make sure the firmware and os are definitely up to date. I thought 8.1 update 2 had an additional update but was still called update 2 but had some minor changes. ( a slightly changed build) I could be wrong but I don't remember developer mode always being on 8.1 or at least not in that location. It appeared there as my phone evolved.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Cortana sending texts may have been a Microsoft server issue. I just tried it, and it worked as it should. Still need to see about reading texts. Cortana did let me reply to a text yesterday, which I also thought was odd. But that was later in the afternoon yesterday. Again, maybe server related.
Cortana will play a song from your playlist, or from albums on your phone, upon request. Previous build didn't quite have this ironed out.

jbodenhe

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Developer mode setting was always under update & security as long as I can remember. I would make sure the firmware and os are definitely up to date. I thought 8.1 update 2 had an additional update but was still called update 2 but had some minor changes. ( a slightly changed build) I could be wrong but I don't remember developer mode always being on 8.1 or at least not in that location. It appeared there as my phone evolved.

I don't have update and security. I have update and back up. Mine says that It's Windows 8.1 update 2. I will post screenshot later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte