Why I returned my Titan II

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Please don't hate. This is a constructive post. I absolutely love WP7. Nothing beats the Twitter/Facebook integration and the OS is beautiful. I have had the original Focus, Focus S, and now the Titan II. I wanted the Titan over the Lumia because of the better camera. After a day of frustration, I returned it. Below are my reasons:

1) The #1 reason I took it back was because Google Sync wouldn't work. It was a temporary issue that has since been resolved, but from 6 pm CST last night to 11 am CST today, I was getting nothing but errors. All of my contacts, calendar, and e-mail is in my Gmail account. I didn't even know who I was getting text messages from. The workaround of importing to Live didn't work for me. Consequently, I couldn't deal with it anymore. I knew it would be resolved, but the other issues combined to make the decision easier.

2) My unit had a stuck/dead pixel. It was minor and I probably would have just swapped if not for the Google sync issue.

3) Pictures - The camera appears to be great. 16 mp and the detail is amazing. The problem is, almost every method for getting the pictures off of the phone (e-mailing them, uploading them to Skydrive, etc.) involves compressing them down to where they lose that detail. A 5 mb file gets squashed to 400kb. It's automatic and the user has no control. This is unacceptable on such a great camera phone. I shouldn't have to plug into Zune to get the raw pictures.

4) Videos - If you e-mail a video, it will compress it and send. That seems to work fine. But you can't send one over MMS this way. Seems odd on an OS that is so easy to use.

5) E-mail sync - The push e-mail means receiving it right away. But the sync back sucks. If you delete or mark read an e-mail, it will be quite some time before these changes are reflected on your account. iPhone and Samsung phones don't have this issue. Seems minor, but I'm accessing e-mail from several different sources all day long. I need these changes to reflect immediately.

6) DNLA - i downloaded the DNLA app and couldn't get it to work with anything. I tried it on my Apple TV, Roku, PS3. It might have worked on my computer, but I didn't try. At that point, it was useless to me. I was really hoping this would be better.

7) App and app support - We all know about this gorilla in the room. I won't waste too much space on this. But for me, it's the support more than the lack of apps. Take Slacker for instance: I have a subscription that gives me station caching, which I use regularly. This feature doesn't work on WP7 and hasn't worked in months. The Slacker team shows no interest in fixing this. Other apps fall into the same trap of no support. Not only that, you see a new app come out for a website/game/utility and it always appears on iPhone first, then Android. WP7 is left out in the cold. We will probably never see a Draw Something app on WP7, at least not anytime soon.

8) IE9 - Most sites are designed for webkit or even specifically the iPhone. IE9 has all kinds of compatibility issues and forms, drop-downs, etc. simply don't work. A perfect example is my work's webmail. It just won't work in IE9 and that's a deal-breaker for me.

9) Sim card slot - This won't affect many, but I swap phones all the time. The sim card slot is a pain. I have to use a sim adapter to put my microsim in the Titan and I had to use needle nose pliers to get it out. It obviously would have worked better with the Lumia, but I really wanted the Titan's camera.

Overall, the Titan is a fine phone. I would have liked to have gotten to know it better. LTE speeds were good and the phone felt good in the hand. I didn't get a chance to test call quality, but signal and battery life seemed fair. If the Google Sync had been restored earlier today, I may even still have it, but I'm sure it would have gone back eventually. Some of my gripes are with Windows Phone and not the Titan. There are so many things that Microsoft got right and so many things that we're missing. The sad part is, we won't get those missing features until Apollo and I can't wait for that.

I hope other people have a better experience with their Lumias and Titans. The ecosystem needs a jumpstart and the more of these phones we can get in peoples' hands, the better.

TL;DR - My Titan II just didn't cut it for me with my usage patterns, but I really like Windows Phone.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
1) an issue of Google's not the phone
2) so take it back, or should have checked it in the store before activating
3) use the skydrive app to upload them in full quality
4) MMS has limits on the max size, not a fault of the phone
5) default setting is pull every 30 mins. Your problem is solved by going into settings and selecting "as items are recieved"
6) it is a UPnP app not DLNA....there is a difference. it's not the best app in te world but it's not DLNA either
7) i concur the Slacker app sucks....part of the problem is it is published by ATT not Slacker
8) This is a problem of poor standards support and proprietary coding for Webkit, not IE9...this is just like IE6 all over again, except devs have gone stupid and optimized for Webkit
9) a personal issue, not one with the phone.

A majority of your issues are not the phone's fault and are real weak barriers of entry to WP7. Anyone would have the same problems going to another platform...but it wouldn't be that phones fault either.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
1) an issue of Google's not the phone
2) so take it back, or should have checked it in the store before activating
3) use the skydrive app to upload them in full quality
4) MMS has limits on the max size, not a fault of the phone
5) default setting is pull every 30 mins. Your problem is solved by going into settings and selecting "as items are recieved"
6) it is a UPnP app not DLNA....there is a difference. it's not the best app in te world but it's not DLNA either
7) i concur the Slacker app sucks....part of the problem is it is published by ATT not Slacker
8) This is a problem of poor standards support and proprietary coding for Webkit, not IE9...this is just like IE6 all over again, except devs have gone stupid and optimized for Webkit
9) a personal issue, not one with the phone.

A majority of your issues are not the phone's fault and are real weak barriers of entry to WP7. Anyone would have the same problems going to another platform...but it wouldn't be that phones fault either.

Inteller,

Thanks for skimming my post, rather than reading it. As I mentioned several times in my post, I'm aware that many of these issues are specific to me, thus no need for you to point that out.

As to your other points, you're a little off on some of them.

1) Duh. Pretty sure I said that exact thing. The point is, I was unable to use the phone without syncing my account. Since my other phone was syncing just fine, I ended up having to use it anyway, thus making the Titan II defunct.

2) The pixel was very hard to see. I don't know anyone who takes their phone out and starts running screen tests in the store and scrutinizes every single pixel. I didn't notice it until I got home and launched an app with a black background.

3) Should I really have to do this? If I settle on this method, then what do I do after I upload it? How do I share it from there? I should have an option of what file size to upload/send, rather than it defaulting to the most compression possible. And I shouldn't have to make special allowances to see the picture at full rez, not when competing platforms don't force you to.

4) Again, duh. Funny that you can take a video in full 1080p on an iPhone and send it as an MMS. It compresses it automatically. Android won't do this, but WP7 is more about ease of use and this was an oversight in my opinion.

5) I know how the e-mail client works. Probably better than you. You're wrong. The setting your referring to only causes e-mail to deliver immediately. It does nothing for the sync back that marks e-mail as read and deletes it off of the Activesync server. This is a limitation of the OS. Even native Android doesn't do this. If you had read my point, you'd see that I'm not having any issue receiving email in a timely manner, it's the other actions.

6) You got me there. My point still stands that I would have liked the same functionality I can get on Android and iOS with displaying pictures and videos on my television.

7) I wasn't aware that it was Microsoft. I always assumed it was slacker. Maybe that's why they never respond to any of my posts on their site.

9) Again, I pointed this out. Not sure why you felt the need to defend this when I clearly said that it's an issue that probably only affects people like me.

I don't have issues moving between platforms. I do it all the time. This is my third WP7 phone. It saddens me that the same limitations are still in place that put me off in the past. I really want to like and use this platform as my daily driver, but it's just not there yet.

As I said previously, I think the phone is great and like it better than the Lumia. But for me, the one killer feature (the camera) is negated by the difficulty of easily sharing the pictures at full resolution.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey gravage, you'll be surprised how convenient and simple it is too share a link from your Skydrive (for pictures)... especially if you've already set the camera option to 'auto upload'.

Just open the Skydrive app, go to the picture, tap/hold, then select 'get link'. Job done.

:)

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey gravage, you'll be surprised how convenient and simple it is too share a link from your Skydrive (for pictures)... especially if you've already set the camera option to 'auto upload'.

Just open the Skydrive app, go to the picture, tap/hold, then select 'get link'. Job done.

:)

Thanks, Supes! I guess I'm kind of oldschool. I did perform a few tests today before I took the phone back. I uploaded a few pics to skydrive and then tried to download them and the filesize was even smaller. Maybe I was doing something wrong. It just seems like it should be easier than that.

Really looking forward to this platform taking off and the new apps pouring in.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Inteller,

It saddens me that the same limitations are still in place that put me off in the past. I really want to like and use this platform as my daily driver, but it's just not there yet.

what saddens me is people get on here and write essays on why Windows Phone doesn't work for them and go over the same worn out memes that ultimately boil down to personal preference and no fault of the platform.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Supes! I guess I'm kind of oldschool. I did perform a few tests today before I took the phone back. I uploaded a few pics to skydrive and then tried to download them and the filesize was even smaller. Maybe I was doing something wrong. It just seems like it should be easier than that.

Really looking forward to this platform taking off and the new apps pouring in.

I guess the OS and Skydrive are playing catch up with the hardware, in the camera department. We can rest assured that the Titan II and Nokia Pureview WP will push the envelope.

Must. Resist. Saying. Wait. Until. Windows. 8. :D

Okay, sod it... I'm betting this will be ironed out in Windows 8. :lol:

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
what saddens me is people get on here and write essays on why Windows Phone doesn't work for them and go over the same worn out memes that ultimately boil down to personal preference and no fault of the platform.

So basically you're saying that Windows Phone 7 is perfect and has no room for improvement? Like Blackberry OS is fine just the way it is, it's just personal preference that prevents people from using it as their main phone?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
oh and I forgot in addition to essays, diving into analogies that have no relevance of the subject at hand.

you are a self admitted SIM swapper, but Mango hasn't changed since last year so I'm not really sure how you expected the experience to be any different than last fall.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
oh and I forgot in addition to essays, diving into analogies that have no relevance of the subject at hand.

you are a self admitted SIM swapper, but Mango hasn't changed since last year so I'm not really sure how you expected the experience to be any different than last fall.

Sounds like somebody needs a hug.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The email sync issue always bugs me. It's the same on my samsung focus and now the lumia. You have to remember to hit the sync now button on the the bottom of the screen to get it to sync back right away. Doable, but annoying. Hopefully they'll fix.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
As soon as Microsoft gets that shipment of dilithium crystals in your problems will be over. WiFi always on (no switch). Auto syncing of everything, every 10 milliseconds, for a truly Live Tile experience. More power Scotty.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
As an update to this, I picked up a Titan 1 off Craigs for half the price and am loving it. I don't miss the LTE as much as I thought and the camera doesn't seem too much worse than the one on the Titan 2, though I didn't get a chance to thoroughly test it.

Using it as my primary phone for now.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
As an update to this, I picked up a Titan 1 off Craigs for half the price and am loving it. I don't miss the LTE as much as I thought and the camera doesn't seem too much worse than the one on the Titan 2, though I didn't get a chance to thoroughly test it.

Using it as my primary phone for now.

That's because the Titan II was an incremental upgrade to the Titan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium