Actual WiFi issues with Titan II

Pocket PC

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that lately when I go to use my Titan II on my home Wifi, the data connection does not work at all until I toggle Wifi off and back on again. It's really annoying. Anyone else?

I've tried rebooting the phone but the problem still persists. Seems like there's some Wifi negotiation isseus going on. BUt it seems like this just popped up in the last week or so and I've had the phone for 3 weeks now.

vieira.miguel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

I have the same issues in my HTC Titan! I saw in some places people saying to disable 3G or to switch the router to G instead of Auto.

This is very annoying... I should have known and avoid buying HTC... this is my 4th... and every phone lacks of support, some problems never get corrected! I should have bought Nokia! :S

Pocket PC

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
More details on Wifi problem

I posted this on the HTC TItan forum too. Plenty of issues that seem like they are not fixed in the Titan II. See:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/184446.htm

I'm on my second HTC Titan II (First one overheated trying to render a very busy web page and bricked permanently) However that first one did not seem to have any Wifi issues.

This second Titan II was working fine for a couple weeks, but has recently been plagued with Wifi connectivity issues. I see these same issues at home and at work so it's not just one Wifi device and at home I'm usually 10-20 feet from my Wifi modem.

- I get a lot of 'unable to connect to page' in IE and it becomes very slow to load data over Wifi. The m.wpcentral page will take 30 seconds+, it it loads at all. Weather data doesn't load. social data does not load. If I toggle Wifi off and on, then everything loads instantly... for a while

- I understand that wifi goes to sleep when the phone is off, but sometimes it won't come back on at all until I toggle wifi off and on.

- sometimes the data connection just drops alogether while in use and I have to toggle Wifi off/on.

- Upload speeds over Wifi are painfully slow when it is working. We are talking .38 to .46 Mbps. Welcome to crappy DSL speeds! Upload speed is very slow even when download speeds are 10-15 Mbps. (I would expect at least 1Mbps uploads via wifi.)

- I get a lot of 'message failed' with 4-5 retries when trying to send a photo via messaging over Wifi. They work instantly over GSM if I toggle Wifi off.

This really sours the Windows Phone experience. I'll try to exchange it for another unit, but what a pain! This sounds very similar to the Nokia Wifi problems. I hope HTC steps up and provides a fix.

I should also point out that my Original Samsung Focus never had any of these issues - EVER. the old samsung is faster than this new Titan II. How can that be? I still have the old Focus and it stil works on Wifi when the Titan II drops the connection so I know it's not a problem with my Wifi.

Really disappointed with HTC in this respect. I'm only 3 days from being locked into my AT&T contract. hmmm... Try a third Titan II or defect to Nokia 900 camp? Nokia has Wifi issues too, but at least they came out and admitted it and provided a fix. If HTC admitted this is a software problem and they are working on a fix, I'd hang onto this unit. But, at this point, I don't know if it's software or hardware so I'll likely exchange it which will cost HTC and AT&T money and me precious time setting up the phone for the third time. If the new one does it, I'll go to a 900.

banjaboo

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any problems with the WiFi on my titan ii

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
I haven't had any problems either. But I don have WiFi at work so I turn it off when I leave home and don't turn it back on till I get back home.

claudeburdel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I too haven't noticed any problems with the WiFi on my Titan II.

Apologies for the very basic question, but when I get home and turn WiFi on, should I also turn cellular off? I've been assuming the device knows not to use cellular when there's an active WiFi connection, but I just wanted to make sure.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with mine. The only issue with wifi I had was with my HD7. I would have to turn off my 3g to get wifi to work. With my titan 2 it works! :)

vieira.miguel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
claudeburdel: The device uses wifi when available. If you're connected to a wifi network, your phone should not use any cellular data.

Pocket PC:
Well the problem with HTC is that they are much more concerned in launching new phones than in correcting the problems on their "old ones". This has been their policy since Windows Mobile and CE.
I'm kind of pissed because, titan (I and II) is an excellent device and, like any other thing, has it problems, but HTC hardly ever corrects it. They just don't care about their old phones or clients! And I should have known that by now!!!!

One other thing about HTC, is that Nokia seems much more committed to Windows Phone that any other brand! You can see this by the amount of app's they are releasing and the updates for those apps!

When I got the Titan, Lumia 900 wasn't available yet, only lumia 800 and I considerate it a Pre-Mango Phone!
Even though I consider that HTC Titan I/II have better specs, now I would definitely go for the Lumia 900... on windows phone the OS works fine on any device (I had an Omnia 7). When your talking about high-end devices, I my opinion, what makes a different is all you have arround your phone: apps and brand support.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to keep the 900, but sorry three strikes and your out. I just can't keep a device after the third return for defects. I still have high hopes for Nokia and will consider them again in the future.

I have not had a single issue with my Titan II. I didn't have any with my Titan I either though. I am in and out of WiFi and network zones all day.

MinkWA

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got my titan 2 a few days ago and I also am experiencing WiFi issues. When on WiFi I get very slow browser response, and quite often just receive a timeout error. Right now, using boards express the phone pops up a connection timeout message as I peruse the different posts. Can someone point me to any additional info for troubleshooting this?

MinkWA

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, a little more troubleshooting indicates that my device doesn't work on WiFi when my cellular connection is active as well. It appears this is a problem on a number of different wp7 devices. This isn't a showstopper issue for me at this point, but it is a little disappointing for such a basic function to be crippled on my first wp7 phone. I never had this type of issue on any of the iPhones, android or even the palm pre I have owned.

MinkWA

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, my 4g service works awesome, and I am happy with the polish of the OS. I will need to see if my internet sharing is impacted as well. I have tried that out once, and it seemed a bit slow. more testing is needed.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My Data and WiFi connections play nice together. They are both always on. WiFi takes care of most of the heavy lifting and Data pitches in for background stuff and when I am out of WiFi range.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I actually had to have my Titan II replaced. The WiFi quit working completely. I am currently using another Lumia 900. So far, no problems with this one.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, a little more troubleshooting indicates that my device doesn't work on WiFi when my cellular connection is active as well. It appears this is a problem on a number of different wp7 devices. This isn't a showstopper issue for me at this point, but it is a little disappointing for such a basic function to be crippled on my first wp7 phone. I never had this type of issue on any of the iPhones, android or even the palm pre I have owned.

This usually happens when you turn on Data sharing (tethering)

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had my titan 2 for a few months and the WiFi has always worked perfectly. I leave it on all the time and it automatically connects to my home and work WiFi, both are password protected. It also automatically connects to open networks when they are available.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to keep the 900, but sorry three strikes and your out. I just can't keep a device after the third return for defects. I still have high hopes for Nokia and will consider them again in the future.

I have not had a single issue with my Titan II. I didn't have any with my Titan I either though. I am in and out of WiFi and network zones all day.

I am in the same boat. Luma 900 won't re-charge after I completely drained the battery. It just keeps cycling through a white screen and a battery logo.

Not even going to give Nokia another chance. I have read about too many defects with the 900. Im either going Focus 2 or Titan 2.

MinkWA

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Update -

I still cannot get any data throughput when on Wifi. All websites timeout.

4G works great.
I can turn on Internet sharing and connect my PC just fine.

Not sure what's up with this. I might give HTC a call. I would rather avoid dealing with AT&T's customer service.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Update -

I still cannot get any data throughput when on Wifi. All websites timeout.

4G works great.
I can turn on Internet sharing and connect my PC just fine.

Not sure what's up with this. I might give HTC a call. I would rather avoid dealing with AT&T's customer service.

This is a windows phone error, not a Titan 2 issue. The issue is when you turn on internet sharing feature it does something to the data connection. What happens now is that the phone wifi will only work when data is turned off. In order to fix this feature is to reset your phone. This sucks, I had to do this on my HD7 with T-Mobile as internet sharing was a free feature. I haven't turned on this feature #1 it cost money on at&t, #2: windows phone still doesn't have a backup that you can make your phone look exactly the same as before. (like icloud or itunes with iphone).

My suggestion is to reset your phone, and do not turn on internet sharing if you don't need it. Here in Seattle LTE just went live, there is actually no need for Wifi as it is the same speed if you are within your data limits.

mikju29ro

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

just to share my Titan II "data issue" experience.
I often had data issue since the beginning forcing me to reboot the phone to get work data connection again...it was really really annoying, you know. I used to to switch wi-fi on/off, depending on the place where I was, to save battery(home,work) but I noticed that once avoided that switching I have no more data issue ! Last "data issue" has been long time ago :)
I hope my experience could be useful for someone here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786