HTC Titan or Lumia 800?

littlesteelo16

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I am looking to get rid of my iphone 4 and hop onto the wp7 train, since I think it is a good time to switch, and have wanted a windows phone ever since it launched.

Since I live in the UK, The Focus S (the device I wanted) will not be released here, so the devices I am considering are the Titan and the new Lumia 800. The lumia is ?440, and the Titan is ?450. Now, the problem for me is that each device has its cons, the Titan has the lower quality slcd and the bad pixel density, and the lumia has the fairly small 3.7'' screen. The lack of a ffc doesn't bother me as I never used it once on my iphone.

So I am asking, what device would you choose, and is the pixel density and lower quality screen noticeable on the titan? Or, should I stick with the iphone and wait and see what next year brings?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

You are in the same dilema as me littlesteelo16. I like the Titan for the larger screen but some users say they can see the 'Stretched' look of the user interface and some say it's fine.

Like yourself i would never use a front facing camera, I guess you really would have to try both phones in the flesh to see how they felt for you.

I've seen the titan and it looks fine not too big as you might think but I not seen the Lumia yet but going by reports the screen is excellent and on par with Samsung's Super Amoled.

Decisions, Decisions. Sigh. :)

Oh and welcome along to WPC. :)

littlesteelo16

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of popping into a phones4u store this weekend, seeing as they have both the titan and the lumia to play around with. I'll probably decide then. If the titan had a 4.3'' screen it would be an instant buy for me.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of popping into a phones4u store this weekend, seeing as they have both the titan and the lumia to play around with. I'll probably decide then. If the titan had a 4.3'' screen it would be an instant buy for me.
You'll be surprised I think littlesteelo16 how it looks. (Not as big looking as you expect it to be) But to be honest i think the quality will be better on the Nokia's 3.7 display.

Please pop back in and let us know what you think of them after visiting phones4u.

I'd love to hear your opinion to help me decide too. Must try and have a lookie next week too. :)

littlesteelo16

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the delay, went to have a look at the Titan and Lumia 800 today. Starting with the Titan:

First thing I noticed was that it didn't feel too big. I wouldn't have any trouble using this, and I have small hands. Regarding the screen, the brightness and colours are fantastic, and the blacks are very good. Now about the resolution/pixel density. Everything seems to have a slight fuzziness to it, especially noticeable with small text in the browser. This however doesn't bother me. What did however was how atrocious games looked on the stretched resolution. With the 2d tiles, this wasn't noticeable, but with 3d games, it was very pixelated.
Now the Lumia:
Obviously it had a smaller screen, but it definitely was more comfortable to hold. The design is beautiful, but what really stands out is that screen. Everything is pin sharp, the colours are rich, and the blacks were so deep you can't tell when the screen ends. After a few minutes of using both, the Lumias screen really looks so much better than the Titans. Also the AMOLED on the Lumia will probably save battery life with the black wp7 theme.

Definitely going to get the Lumia now. I have never used wp7 myself, and really am blown away by how blazingly fast it was. That combined with the Nokia hardware seals it for me.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh you've put me off the Titan once again with your fuzziness and stretched comments. LOL

I am going to go try it Monday for definate so i can see for myself.

Thanks for sharing your opinions littlesteelo16. :)

littlesteelo16

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Just been reading about the pentile display on the Lumia 800, and have to say I did notice a slight 'sawtooth' effect on straight lines. I may need to another look to fully make my decision. If only samsung would release that damn focus s in the uk!

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I am looking to get rid of my iphone 4 and hop onto the wp7 train, since I think it is a good time to switch, and have wanted a windows phone ever since it launched.

Since I live in the UK, The Focus S (the device I wanted) will not be released here, so the devices I am considering are the Titan and the new Lumia 800. The lumia is ?440, and the Titan is ?450. Now, the problem for me is that each device has its cons, the Titan has the lower quality slcd and the bad pixel density, and the lumia has the fairly small 3.7'' screen. The lack of a ffc doesn't bother me as I never used it once on my iphone.

So I am asking, what device would you choose, and is the pixel density and lower quality screen noticeable on the titan? Or, should I stick with the iphone and wait and see what next year brings?

If you are a patient person, which I am the most impatient person I think (I have to force myself to wait for phones that are about to come out. It's like when you were a kid and Pokemon was the thing and you had to collect all the cards. Well, that's me, I have to collect every new phone there is for some reason...although no money to really do that :( ) I would wait until CES in January. Then, if you don't see any phones you want there I would read up on some Titan and Lumia Reviews, maybe get a personal hands-on for yourself (you will always be the ultimate judge of whether a phone is good or not), and then choose which phone.

SJamG

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm also jumping ship from my iPhone 4 to a WP7 device. The time is right to try something different!

I also went into Phones4u and played around with the Lumia, couldn't really hold it, but from what I played with in WP7 - it all looked stunning! I didn't really notice any blurring, the display is incredible.

I've never been a fan of HTCs build quality as I've had big problems with them in the past (went through 6 Desires in 4 months!) - I really like the uni/mono body design.

Onward to the Lumia 800! :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.688943,-4.856661

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Ces

If you are a patient person, which I am the most impatient person I think (I have to force myself to wait for phones that are about to come out. It's like when you were a kid and Pokemon was the thing and you had to collect all the cards. Well, that's me, I have to collect every new phone there is for some reason...although no money to really do that :( ) I would wait until CES in January. Then, if you don't see any phones you want there I would read up on some Titan and Lumia Reviews, maybe get a personal hands-on for yourself (you will always be the ultimate judge of whether a phone is good or not), and then choose which phone.

When is CES. Feb I think; good idea to wait till then. My Trophy will definitely be good enough till then. Maybe Verizon will have their plans public by then.;)

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
When is CES. Feb I think; good idea to wait till then. My Trophy will definitely be good enough till then. Maybe Verizon will have their plans public by then.;)

Nope, January 10-13th I believe. Ah, the time of the year where everyone who got a new phone for Christmas cringe when they see the newer offerings...

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
So, you fellas (im guessing!) would get the Focus S over the Lumia? What's the biggest factor as to why? I live in the States, and have been trying to decide between waiting and Focus S.

I've been an iPhone refugee for three months and it was a great decision! You will like this neighborhood!

Mangos taste better than apples!

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
So, you fellas (im guessing!) would get the Focus S over the Lumia? What's the biggest factor as to why? I live in the States, and have been trying to decide between waiting and Focus S.

I've been an iPhone refugee for three months and it was a great decision! You will like this neighborhood!

Mangos taste better than apples!

I guess the better question is what do YOU find better about the Lumia? I honestly think the Focus S looks better than the Lumia, plus the bigger and better screen technology is always a plus. The Lumia just reminds me of an old iPod nano...just larger.

CommanderElvis

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

Wait????? WAIT?????

HERETIC!

Waiting to see both hands on ASAP. Need to add Mangos back into my diet. Berries are starting to turn.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
harry.png

I like the Nokia Lumia 800, but then again, I like the HTC Titan, but which is best?

There's only one way to find out! FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT! :)

Do you think our American friends will get that Big Supes ? I think not. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)