Titan Bugs Report Thread [Updated 12/16/11]

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
We got 4 ours from MS store on Black Friday.

Today we went to the ATT store first to change
our SIM cards to the latest with 4G support, so we did. It didn't help/fix the
muffling sound quality of the phones during calls.

We tried the ATT Titan that was on the display to figure out if it's a problem with our phone rather than the one on display. We can be 100% sure (it was tied to the display, so we couldn't change level of noise/environment) but noticed that the display phone sounded better.

ATT rep has tried our phone himself and he confirmed the muffling problem. He also made a note on our account about this issue and suggested to go to the MS store.

We went to the Microsoft store where we bought our phones 3 weeks ago. We talked to an employee and told him that ATT store employee confirmed
that there was a problem with the muffling sounds. We showed the Microsoft
store employee our phones and he heard the muffling sound himself during the phone call. After that, he offered to exchange our phones on what they have in stock (they had 3 left from the first batch from which we even got ours). So we tested 2 their brand new Titan phones, but the sound was exactly the same (muffled). Now, we are just waiting for them to receive a new batch and hopefully we will be able to exchange it to the normal sounded units.

If not, we have to wait for some firmware upgrade.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it's time to start requesting AT&T to release the ROM updates that the international Titan received.

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the bright Windows button too...

I've had my Titan about 3 weeks and I haven't experienced any problems. I've had no complaints from anyone about the sound of my voice during calls and the incoming caller sounds just fine. No unexpected reboots. No issues playing games (although I'm not exactly a heavy gamer - just those Birds, mostly). I love the phone, especially the screen. I also love how with a screen this large it doesn't feel the least bit too big in the hand. Can't even imagine how I survived with that 3.5" LG Quantum for a year!!

anon(5329748)

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have a list...

* Speaker Volume is too loud: Most of the time when playing a game I turn down the sound with the volume rocker. But when I set it as 1/30 the volume is still too loud for that level.

* Read aloud incoming text messages does not work for BT: At least it does not work on my GF's car stereo. The unit is paired and all calls go through BT just fine, but it does not read texts as they arrive. The setting is set to "BT and headsets"

* Auto brightness is too bright: it seems screen does not even adjust brightness. I can hold phone under light or cover the light sensor, there is no response with screen brightness. At night when in bed, the screen is too bright, like the sensor cant tell.

* Muffled voice calls: My GF and I both have Titans. Calling one another, the voice is badly muffled. Seems like its the device's Mic.

My Titan randomly reboots sometimes. It happens often when I plug it into a charger. I also get complaints that people can't hear me during calls like i'm whispering.

I think all of my issues have been touched upon at some point in this thread.

I think I have a bad storage device. My Titan has twice rebooted when connecting to a charger, and while not everything was reset, I lost some settings and items, such as recent SMS messages, recent call history, and email settings. It rebooted once while trying to answer a call, and one time it locked up to the point it wouldn't get past the HTC boot screen. I had to hard-reset it with the volume-rocker and power button. (And Best Buy has been anything but helpful. I went to the store and they said call their phone support because the Titan isn't in store stock, but when I called online, they said it would be faster to do an exchange in the store. What gives?) Tonight, I was recording a video of my 2yo making chocolate milk. When I watched the video back, a few secpmds in I got a message saying it couldn't be played. I copied to my PC and same thing. I used Handbrake to convert it, and it worked, but there are lots of artifacts at the point where the video couldn't be played.

Another issue is that I'm having connection issues in general. Places where my iPhone 3GS would get 1-2 bars I oftentimes get no bars, while my wife's 1st Gen Samsung Focus will have 2 bars and a data connection. If my display says 4G and I have only 1-2 bars, I'm lucky to have data capabilities. I have a 15 mile commute between home and work, and there is a 3-mile stretch where I can't talk on the Titan, whereas my other phones maintain a phone connection all the way through. At 1 bar signal strength, the other party says my quality cuts in and out so much that they can't make out what I'm saying.

Also, using speakerphone one day, my boss and others in the meeting couldn't hear me, so much so that they thought I wasn't even there.

Last edited:

dbgman

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at my Windows Flag does anyone else have a odd bright spot on there windows flag?

Click to view quoted image
Mine is the same on the windows flag lighting. It was like this on my previous titan. I had to exchange my other titan because the camera stopped working.

I have not had any call quality issues except for the signal. The antennas i believe are mounted inside back plate.

I did have the jitter issue with the srs. So i turned them off and it went away.

I love my titan but with these issues and the fact my first one died, i am skeptical about the quality.

santos1974

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
3G Icon on every reboot

Hello,

I have a Titan for the last 1 week and a half and until now the only problem that I see is that my 3G icon appears without reason on every reboot or in a normal use of the phone.
My data connection is OFF but the simbol appears without reason.
Tried to hard reset but the problem continues.

I have an European unlocked device.

Thanks,
Santos

pstomike

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Started a thread on this last week:

When I am listening to music and push the Bing search button (capacitive button) on my Titan. The audio converts to what seems to me as a mono non-stereo sound. Once I complete the search and have been take to the results page the audio returns to normal. Also hitting the back button out of the search returns the audio to normal. This happens with or without headphones.
Our two titans are doing the same thing. Search with the Bing button and the audio goes mono/quiet/lower-bit-rate. As soon as you exit the search or request results, the audio returns back to normal. I hope our first firmware update has a fix for this.

dbgman

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I traded my Samsung Focus S for an HTC Titan this week, however, the camera on this Titan is either defective, or their is a bug somewhere.

I used the phone for about a day, took a few pictures, and everything was fine. I then got the 'camera modes' update, and the next time I tried to take a picture, the camera app locked up. I rebooted the phone, and after that every time I went into the camera app, the app would close after about 1 second and dump me back into the home screen. I rebooted again, same problem. I wiped the phone, same problem. I wiped the phone several times again, and finally the camera app started to work normally again.

Another day goes by, more photos taken, no problems. I again got the 'camera modes' update from the marketplace, and then next time I went to take a picutre, it locked up again. Reboot. Camera app - 1 second - instant close. Crap. Can't take pictures again. I've wiped/reset the phone again 3 times, and I still can't get the camera to work.

Taking the phone back to the store tomorrow, hoping they can fix or replace.

Has anyone else seen similar behavior? Either I've got bad hardware, or something is happening with the 'camera modes' update...
Had the same problem. At first when I opened the camera app it would be black. Then everytime I opened the camera app it would close right away.

I swapped it for another Titan. I hope it works this time. I liked my old focus and had no problems in over a year but the Titan has issues. The focus had cell signal in my house but the Titan does not. I think it has something to do with the antenna and the metal back plate.

toshdellapenna

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't had any issues with my Titan until late last night when I seemly had all of them at once. First the phone started slowing down and things were choppy. Then my volume faders dropped to 00 and wouldn't go any louder. I figured a soft reset would do the trick so I did that. When the phone booted back up I had my volume back, but my wallpaper was restored to the factory default. I thought this was strange but I logged in to see my hotmail tile gone and the artist wallpaper for Zune back to plain black. Many of my live id services weren't available and I was being asked to "sign in with a live id". When i do that it says im signed in and then says "oops, something's wrong and we can't fix it right now try again later" or something like that. I managed to get all live services to resync on their own through out the day, but I still don't have hotmail and I keep getting that error when I try to add live services. The only workaround for mail seems to be to add a regular email account.

I know this seems bizarre and was most definitely out of right field. Any ideas?

Sent from my Htc Titan using Board Express

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't had any issues with my Titan until late last night when I seemly had all of them at once. First the phone started slowing down and things were choppy. Then my volume faders dropped to 00 and wouldn't go any louder. I figured a soft reset would do the trick so I did that. When the phone booted back up I had my volume back, but my wallpaper was restored to the factory default. I thought this was strange but I logged in to see my hotmail tile gone and the artist wallpaper for Zune back to plain black. Many of my live id services weren't available and I was being asked to "sign in with a live id". When i do that it says im signed in and then says "oops, something's wrong and we can't fix it right now try again later" or something like that. I managed to get all live services to resync on their own through out the day, but I still don't have hotmail and I keep getting that error when I try to add live services. The only workaround for mail seems to be to add a regular email account.

I know this seems bizarre and was most definitely out of right field. Any ideas?

This exact problem has been reported before. I'd go swap your phone out ASAP.

toshdellapenna

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I will call my local store after the holiday. They are expecting their first shipment of 2nd Gen WP phones tomorrow or Monday (yes I know!). Its so weird. I was gonna do a factory reset, but I need to transfer my camera reel to my laptop since you don't get full resolution backups. Then im nuking it and starting over. I really wish WP would restore all setting a la Windows 8 as setting my preferences back up is a pain.

TJY

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Audio/Misc Issue

When watching a video, the sound quality is great. During playback, if I receive a call and then hang up, the focus goes back to the video playback, but the audio quality is degraded unless I close and re-open the video file.

While the audio is degraded, you can hear it, but it seems that the bass level is reduced. Both music and video sound enhancer settings are set to No effect.

I also have the bright spot on my Windows Button.

I have the keyboard disappearing issue at least once a day.

Switching from headset to phone audio is sometimes flakey, especially when switching on the fly during a call. I have had my phone hooked up to the car using an audio cable, and when trying to pick up the phone to use it for audio, there is no sound. I'll continue to gather more info on this one.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't just happen while watching a video but also playing music. The audio change is not like the Bing issue which goes mono with a reduced sampling rate. No, its more like the right and left channels become swapped, or maybe the polarity of one channel becomes swapped, which would explain the loss of bass using a stereo speaker system (car, house, etc). Glad someone else noticed this.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Most of these "Problems" are not on my Titan

Titan Bugs List

* SRS causes video and game stuttering
http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/183772.htm
Blog post: http://www.windowscentral.com/htc-titans-graphics-stutter-tied-srs-enhancement

- I've not seen this

* AT&T limiting network speed on their Titan
http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/184114.htm
Blog post: http://www.windowscentral.com/att-dialing-back-4g-speeds-windows-phones

- Not noticably - but I don't stream video much

* Windows Flag shading and light leak
http://forums.windowscentral.com/1597206-post3.htm

- I have the flag issue. It's unrelated to the brightness settings and is clearly a software bug as it often turns on when going to or from the Home page, but will also shut off after a while

* Call Voice quality issues
http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/184445.htm

- no complaints from either end of my calls. I wonder if the phone is so large that some people's mouths are not located in the correct location when they hold the phone?

* WIFI signal issues
http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/184446.htm

- no problems here

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the flag issue. It's unrelated to the brightness settings and is clearly a software bug as it often turns on when going to or from the Home page, but will also shut off after a while

Um, no. It's clearly from the LED placement and overall way they did the backlighting for the Windows icon. Every single Titan on earth has uneven backlighting and it's the least of our problems. I hope no one exchanges their phone over it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Even though I have until the 26th, because of the holidays this is essentially D-day to decide if I want to keep, replace, or return my Titan. I'm going to keep my original device for two reasons.

1) There's no guarantee that a replacement unit is going to be better.

It was different with the Samsung Focus. If you were one of the unlucky ones that got the 1.4 model then you knew all your updating problems were due to the hardware changes that Samsung made. With the Titan there's no method or way of knowing which unit is defective before getting it. Several members have already gone through a number of Titan units. Some with even worse issues like random rebooting. Getting a replacement Titan is a roll of the dice.

2) In comparison to some other users I've gotten pretty lucky with my Titan. Changing the SIM card seemed to have helped with the call quality a bit. I wouldn't say it's good but probably inline with the other "good" sounding Titans. Wifi randomly dropping sucks but that isn't the worst thing in the world. It just means I have to wait a few extra seconds while it connects/reconnects.

And all the other bugs/glitches aren't enough to drive me away. I'd rather tough it out and see if HTC will release a firmware update. However, with all the horror stories I've read so far I don't want to take the risk that my semi-functional Titan will get replaced with an even worse one.

Deathbyvegemite

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
More issues

I bought the Titan a day after it got released in the USA. I am having so many issues with it, I'm probably going to return it.

The network speed of the device is terrible. I still have my old Samsung Focus and have done many tests. The Focus can get between 8 and 12 mg down and between 1 and 3 mg up, whilst my Titan gets between 1 and 3 down and between .3 and .6 up. Just not even in the same league. The WiFi is just as terrible. Streaming radio for example, the focus has never had an issue, whilst the Titan has never played more than 1 minute without stopping to buffer, and always eventually stops streaming on it's own after about 10 minutes.

As to the call quality. The feedback I get from people on the other end of the phone call, is that the audio sounds very thin and quiet and scratchy. From my end, it's usually disjointed and scratchy. On about 70% of calls that are longer than 10 minutes, the microphone stops working at the 10 minute mark, and I can no longer be heard. Really annoying when you spend hours on the phone a day...

My newest gripe, is the processor in the Titan. It is supposed to be a 1.4gig Snapdragon? Correct? Well, I just had a look at the hardware report from the latest release of Windows Phone Device Manager which clearly shows an MSM8255 processor that is running at 998MHz... Not quite what I expected to see...

I also have the issue when SRS is turned on, and the compass being completely inaccurate issue as well.

I am completely disappointed with this phone. And discovering the processor isn't what it is supposed to be just really puts the last nail in the coffin for me...

-Scott

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett