Call Voice quality issues

Are you having in Call Voice Quality issue with your Titan?

• Yes

Votes: 76 61.8%
  • No

Votes: 47 38.2%

• Total voters

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm... I may have to drill out my mic hole as well. I have a reamer that would be perfect for this delicate job. There is no way I'm returning my Titan, though. :)

ppiamp

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I personally think there are two seperate issues goin on with the titan, one is easy to address.

1. First, there is a rubber type of lining blocking the mic hole. I did take a push pin and lightly push it into the mic hole. There is a rubber gasket that was inside the door that the pin broke through. The result was 50% to 70% improvement in clairity on the receivers end. Making the phone usable, otherwise it was going back.

2. I think HTC titan antenna design is more directional than average. Small changes in movement make differences in quality. It is not a deal killer but noticable. The upside is that the Titan for me is reaching father from my house to the cell tower with stronger signal and I had zero drop calls...cannot say that about my Focus.

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I just enlarged the mic hole on my titan, and also removed that foam/rubber piece behind the hole. It instantly seemed to improve my call quality according to the caller at the other end who had heard me "sound like I was in a trash can" a few days prior.

chrome14

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Did a video test. I left the video settings at default and kept the case on. Gotta say, the mic sounds pretty good when recording video.

EDIT:

Decided to do two other videos and combine them into one. Everything is normal in the first video. The second video I cover up the noise canceling mic. The third video I cover up both mics. I noticed a significant drop in quality once both mics were covered. Even still, the audio is a lot better in video versus phone calls. Perhaps a firmware update is all that's needed?

HTC Titan Mic Test - YouTube

This makes me think that's it's a firmware issue.

How can it sound very good on a video recording but the minute we talk during a phone call, sound so bad?

DelveForInsight

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
HTC Titan Call Quality Issues

I was having issues with call quality until I turned off the SMS Feature in the audio section in the settings. I have not had any issues since that.

krague17

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Definitely a problem with mine. I did several test calls to my home voicemail. One from my old Sprint Evo 4G, a couple from my wife's AT&T Focus, and several from my HTC Titan from different locations. All of my voicemails from the HTC Titan sounded muffled and hard to hear. I've tried resetting and playing around with the back cover. Nothing fixes it. My wife and others have all told me I sound either far away or muffled.

athix

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
thoughts of a TITAN owner with same problem

Same problem, when my wife got her TITAN she sounded muffled and I couldn't hear what she was saying. Sometimes it sounds fine though. Here are my thoughts:

-The phone is really big and her head is small, so with her ear at the earpiece her mouth is farther from the mic. But I figured mics were better than this and the distance wouldn't matter.

-The mic hole is off to the right side instead of in the middle (like my focus), so if you use it your right hand the mic is farther from your mouth. But I figured mics were better than this and distance didn't matter.

Im yet to try the more detailed tests like speakerphone and video, but I would suspect the actual mic hardware or the overall ergonomic design of talking on this GIANT phone might be the problem...

Would be nice if it was just firmware or cell tower but I doubt it.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I have cleaned out the mic hole, reset my phone, changed sim cards, went naked and even went now with a TUP gel case (which is nice by the way) and I have hit or miss... in testing calls to T-mobile network it is crystal clear, to ATT or Verizon or land line muffled sometimes not always. Blue tooth in car...great!

By the way for you people still experimenting it seems as though the gel case reduces the vibration a bit making calls possibly a little clearer. Another complaing I'm getting by the way is that it is so loud that my voice vibrates other peoples' phone on their end. :straight:

i LOVE this phone and the screen and want to love it but I have to go back to the Focus S I'm afraid too. the sad part is I use it for emails almost as much as calling and there is no comparison. this screen and keyboard are MADE for typing. God, it's perfect. But, I call on it just as much. I have tried and tried all month but as much as I use it for business I just can't keep it. Tried it again all day today. If it was just for personal use...YES it works fine for my knucklehead friends :p just not for clients whom I wish to keep.

Last edited:

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Adding a Case Mate Tough Case to my Titan gave me or exacerbated my voice quality issue. I think I have a simple fix that you all should try.

While talking on the phone just now (with case), I switched the phone from my right hand to my left hand. Immediately the receiver said they could hear much better. Looking at the location of the mic, holding the phone with my left hand puts the mic hole at approximately the same "altitude" as my mouth. In my right hand, it's about an inch down. With the phone in my right hand, I rotated the bottom of the phone upward to put the mic hole also at the same "altitude" as my mouth, and also the receiver said it's better.

So, try playing with the mic hole "altitude" with someone on the phone.

derylmccarty

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
one or two folks I talk to complain about "muffled", but not all. If used in the car with a Jabra BT handsfree NO PROBLEM. Not all complain, however, but if the recipient is over 60, then big problem (loss of ability to hear high pitches is normal).

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have not installed the SIM card yet (will not activate the phone until the 26th or 27th), but I did install Pocket Recorder and tested a few recordings. No issues on my end... at least with the mic... unless this is not a valid way to test it and/or call quality is different from recordings.

Elfman12

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, very muffled most of the time, and any movement of your hand on the back of the phone makes very loud noise on the other end of the call.
I called in and am having a replacement shipped out, so we'll see what that does. It seems to be a noise-cancelling issue, though - since I can usually smack the phone sharply with a finger and the call gets much clearer. There's nothing in the way of the mic, as it's the same with the back off (using a recording app).

Last edited:

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
This convo drives me nuts to follow, because new people to the problem are suggesting things that have been ruled out a long time ago.

There is some type of manufacturing defect in some of the early titans- either hardware or firmware. It is not a cell tower, case or finger over the microphone hole etc. All have been ruled out. Sure they might help a little but, but they are not the root of your problem nor will they provide you with a real solution.

My first titan had the worst sound quality ever... the underwater or in a tunnel comments came just about every phone call. I exchanged it for a new titan that had just arrived at that ATT store. It that felt different in the hand. More solid/less give between the back and the phone. What I do know is that my gf says call quality from a 2 to an 8 with the new phone.

Call quality is never going to be great, but there is a far far far distance between ok/good to what my original titan had for call quality.

I encourage everyone to not sit idly bye and wait for their 30 days to expire or risk drilling a hole. Exchange the phone if your call quality is atrocious. You know if you fit into that category without even thinking about it... You've heard it at some point in every phone convo that you havent used bluetooth or a headset to have.

Moving the phone during the conversations, results in interference on the other end. However, the noise reduction on the first one was so bad I think it actually cut out almost all audio for a few moments after moving the phone around in my hand. Now it's just a little noise etc.

Point is.... something is different in my new titan compared to the first one. The new titan is sooooooo much better..

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree, Slitching. Unfortunately, when I spoke with HTC...described problem, pointed to forum, the rep dismissed the possibility of a physical manufacturing defect. All he had was the reflexive 'reset the phone'. I gave up on re-explaining the (il)logic of that approach.

I wish the voice quality was my only problem. It *was* my most recent problem, and absent that problem, I would still have the TITAN. Having been through two already, I just wasn't able to trust the device enough to bind myself to it and to at&t for two years. I do think they will solve the glitches - a batch of bad backplates is easy enough to address by identifying the manufacturing lots and sending new backplates to affected users...even keeping a few in stock in stores to help users try a new one/ swap the backplate rather than replacing the whole device.

I switches carriers specifically for the TITAN, because of the world-phone problems with Verizon's only WP7 device. I have been through the reporting-and-waiting experience for a couple of months with no solution(remains unsolved). Already leery of at&t longstanding signal issues, a repeat of the waiting-and-living-with-it was too much to add to the equation.

It would help if MS,HTC, and at&t could create rapid-response teams when a new device is released. Customer calls could be triaged to the specialty team, who would come up to speed with problems as quickly as forum posters have. Specialty teams from each player (MS, HTC, and at&t) should confer weekly or even daily in early days following release to 1) define and understand issues; 2) decide whose problem it is to fix and 3) cooperate to solve problems.that involve more than one entity. An additional IMPORTANT step would be to extend the 30 days *on new device purchases* first-wave of purchasers pending a clear plan to systematically identify and address problems. As a new customer to at&t, it would go a long way toward peace of mind to know that if problems continue, I could replace with a different NEW device.

OUtbreak investigation models from epidemiology are well-developed to function this way (they can also have their glitches) - point is that this is identical to a clinical diagnostic process..and similar approaches could be effective in situations like this.

THe binding contract setup of US wireless companies is a diaincentive to solve problems aggressively in this way...if they can get you to hold on for 30 days, you're stuck one way or another. Let me be clear that I don't think anyone is trying to string us along ..there us just no systematic plan for response. The alternative idea would incentivize *toward* efficient problem resolution rather than against it...and would go a long way toward reassuring consumers.

Stepping off soapbox now ;-)

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite sure EVERY AT&T branded TITAN has this issue. It's just to varying degrees is why some people have not noticed it as much as others.

Sometimes I have to ask people if they can hear me and they say yes but it's muffled or distorted in some way. So unless you are asking you might not know.

Cases can make a difference but that's not the cause or solution so I hope people stop suggesting that. It's almost certainly a software bug. That's why voice recordings sound good and phone calls sound bad.

I guarantee that when you call AT&T or HTC about this issue they write it off to bad reception and never follow it any further. The HTC rep I talked to (all 3 times) couldn't care less. He just reads a script and moves you on as quick as possible.

airsmith

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I had the muffled issue with every single phone call. On my third Titan now and the muffled calls only happen at home where I usually have 1 to 2 bars of signal. Not sure if that means anything at all though. Just strange to me. Everywhere else call quality is great, no other issues (knock on wood). Hopefully a fix will happen soon

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
When I spoke to HTC last time a rep said that they already aware of this issue and trying to escalate.

His name is Brian. When you call HTC from the same phone number their system recognizes it and tries to forward to the same rep.

slitching

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the muffled issue with every single phone call. On my third Titan now and the muffled calls only happen at home where I usually have 1 to 2 bars of signal. Not sure if that means anything at all though. Just strange to me. Everywhere else call quality is great, no other issues (knock on wood). Hopefully a fix will happen soon

(NOTE: This comment is for airsmith81 - not a solution for everyone that has big issues with call quality - I have said that in my opinion only an exchange will solve major problems unless HTC releases an update/new back)

If you find you are laying down at home when the problem occurs try turning off the "Flip for speaker" option under the attentive phone settings. I found the couple of times I got comments with my new phone were when I was laying down at home. Turned off the setting and haven't had another complaint. Interested in seeing if this works for others too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo