Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77
Like Tree1Likes
  1. neftv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
       #1  
    So it started last night. I installed Netflix and right in the middle of a tv show it reboots. I had been reading about other's experience here with reboots and doing a hard reset (Vol up, Vol dwn, Power) and starting from scratch. So I did that last night. Today it rebooted twice. Once when I was google searching and the other when I was using the USA Today app. I noticed with the USA Today App just as the app started and the headlines popped in but before I could see the background image come in bam reboot. So I uninstalled USA Today app to see if it was that. This is decerning.
    For a good amount of time before this I had my nephew on the phone playing angry birds with no incident.
    Do these reboots start infrequent and get worse?
    Just a thought....I wonder with these Applications how strict or easy is Microsoft to approving them? Because if they are quick to get them out on the Marketplace just to build up the library without throughly testing of the Apps then this is a seriously issue.
  2. Rocket_Girl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by neftv View Post
    So it started last night. I installed Netflix and right in the middle of a tv show it reboots. I had been reading about other's experience here with reboots and doing a hard reset (Vol up, Vol dwn, Power) and starting from scratch. So I did that last night. Today it rebooted twice. Once when I was google searching and the other when I was using the USA Today app. I noticed with the USA Today App just as the app started and the headlines popped in but before I could see the background image come in bam reboot. So I uninstalled USA Today app to see if it was that. This is decerning.
    For a good amount of time before this I had my nephew on the phone playing angry birds with no incident.
    Do these reboots start infrequent and get worse?
    Just a thought....I wonder with these Applications how strict or easy is Microsoft to approving them? Because if they are quick to get them out on the Marketplace just to build up the library without throughly testing of the Apps then this is a seriously issue.
    Yes, they get worse. Mine was fatal (see thread 'TITAN DOA'. Unlikely to be app-related. My random reboots began within minutes of setup out-of the box. No apps downloaded at that point. Unlike amdroid- land, where apps routinely crash devices, windows phone apps seldom do this...and functioning Windows ohk es seldom (hardly ever crash) If yours is rebooting, it's the device that's bad rather than the apps. It's defective - take it back and swap for a new one.
  3. DrKofi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    #3  
    I had to turn my first focus in cause of this same problem. I tried everything to see if it was the OS or some firmware bug. But I just gave up after rebooting and updating like 10 times. My second Focus never had this problem.

    Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
  4. kevm14's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    553 Posts
    #4  
    I agree. Given the sandbox, apps shouldn't be capable of causing the phone to reboot. I have seen mine do an uninitiated reboot a handful of times but it is rare. Though I need a way to check uptime so I can confirm that.
  5. neftv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    I agree. Given the sandbox, apps shouldn't be capable of causing the phone to reboot. I have seen mine do an uninitiated reboot a handful of times but it is rare. Though I need a way to check uptime so I can confirm that.
    I completely turned off SRS in sound enhancer and in battery saver selected the first option always turn on battery saver when battery is low. I just doing that to try it out.
    I can understand the SRS for music but I didn't know that Video has SRS too, Thought that SRS was just for audio. Maybe there is a bad implementation of SRS?
    I was pushing the phone hard last night with Netflix and other functions and it did well no reboots.

    Kev- So the Apps run in an sandbox? Interesting so there is no need for antivirus for this phone?
  6. kevm14's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    553 Posts
    #6  
    Not in the conventional sense, but as with the SMS thing, sometimes bugs exist.

    I had a weird issue once where I wasn't able to make calls. Then it rebooted on its own and was fine. Hasn't done that particular thing more than once.
  7. 5tephen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #7  
    Up until a few nights ago I hadn't had any random reboots but I've now had 4 since Friday. This is ridiculous.

    Sent from my TITAN using Board Express
  8. 5tephen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #8  
    Just had it reboot for the 5th time a few minutes ago

    Sent from my TITAN using Board Express
  9. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,279 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,304 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 5tephen View Post
    Just had it reboot for the 5th time a few minutes ago

    Sent from my TITAN using Board Express
    Return it and get a replacement. Reboots will get worse before they get better. In fact, they never get better sans an firmware update.
  10. neftv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
       #10  
    Last night I had my phone in my shirt pocket. Going home felt the phone vibrate and pulled phone out right away and saw the phone rebooting. I was good since my last posting on this. At this point seems the only help anyone will get is if your on the 1st 30 days to go back to where purchased phone get replacement or deal with HTC and get warranty repair. I going to see if it does again this week. I really like this phone and Mango hate to go back to smaller screen
    Not sure what replacement to get another Titan or the flimsy back Focus or go to Android Motorola Atrix II. Decisions.

    Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
  11. 5tephen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    Return it and get a replacement. Reboots will get worse before they get better. In fact, they never get better sans an firmware update.
    I can't take it back. I won it from a Microsoft Inner Circle event. I've been trying to get in touch with anyone from HTC and the people from Microsoft have been little/no help either. Not to mention the dead pixel and MMS problems I've had. I'm really getting turned off by this.
  12. Rocket_Girl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by 5tephen View Post
    I can't take it back. I won it from a Microsoft Inner Circle event. I've been trying to get in touch with anyone from HTC and the people from Microsoft have been little/no help either. Not to mention the dead pixel and MMS problems I've had. I'm really getting turned off by this.
    you're the second person in that situation to post here. One other poster (cannot remember which thread) won one at an event. The device had problems, and he couldn't get any help from anyone. He eventually arranged to send the device to HTC for diagnostics and repair..and this is where it turned yet another corner for him: HTC service location was only a few miles from his home, but they do not take drop- offs, so he had to mail the phone. USPS managed to LOSE bid phone, even though it had less than 10 miles to travel. I haven't seen another post from him...it may be that he is simply put of luck. Free devices are no prize when this happens. I'm sorry you're in the same boat...hope you fare better than he did in finding help.
  13. 5tephen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Girl View Post
    you're the second person in that situation to post here. One other poster (cannot remember which thread) won one at an event. The device had problems, and he couldn't get any help from anyone. He eventually arranged to send the device to HTC for diagnostics and repair..and this is where it turned yet another corner for him: HTC service location was only a few miles from his home, but they do not take drop- offs, so he had to mail the phone. USPS managed to LOSE bid phone, even though it had less than 10 miles to travel. I haven't seen another post from him...it may be that he is simply put of luck. Free devices are no prize when this happens. I'm sorry you're in the same boat...hope you fare better than he did in finding help.
    I remember reading that. That's why I'm vary wary of what's going to happen. Plus they'll expect me to go without a phone for however long until it gets fixed since I don't have any other phone to place my sim card in. UGH. I hope it works out for me too lol
  14. AnwarHussain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #14  
    Oh Man..... ..., my HTC Titan phone random reboots a lot. Planning to return/exchange with another, i still have 10 days left.

    Guys, can you suggest me any solution for this irritating bug?
  15. gtg465x's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnwarHussain View Post
    Oh Man..... ..., my HTC Titan phone random reboots a lot. Planning to return/exchange with another, i still have 10 days left.

    Guys, can you suggest me any solution for this irritating bug?
    Only solution is to exchange. It doesn't happen to most Titans.
    Thanked by:
  16. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,296 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,523 Global Posts
    #16  
    I keep reading articles about HTC having financial problems and it makes me wonder if they are cutting corners to reduce cost: HTC Plans Rebound With 4G Smartphones - Mobiledia
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  17. gtg465x's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I keep reading articles about HTC having financial problems and it makes me wonder if they are cutting corners to reduce cost: HTC Plans Rebound With 4G Smartphones - Mobiledia
    Which corners do you think they cut? Actually the Titan's camera, screen, and speaker are amazing for any device, but especially for an HTC device. They are known for scrimping in those three areas, but it seems they've gone all out on the Titan.

    If you're referring to the random reboot issue, I don't think many people are experiencing it. All products have a certain number of defective units, and that number tends to be higher in the first batch that ships out.
    Last edited by gtg465x; 12-26-2011 at 10:01 PM.
  18. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,296 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,523 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    Which corners do you think they cut? Actually the Titan's camera, screen, and speakers are quite amazing for HTC. They are known for scrimping in those three areas, but it seems they've gone all out on the Titan.
    The European Titans seemed to be fine. The Titans in the states seem to have problems with muffled voice, signal issues and random rebooting. It just seems odd to me. A lot of people in the forums here have returned their Titans.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  19. 5tephen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    The European Titans seemed to be fine. The Titans in the states seem to have problems with muffled voice, signal issues and random rebooting. It just seems odd to me. A lot of people in the forums here have returned their Titans.
    I'd return mine if I could. This is making me want to go back to iPhone...
    kpope429 likes this.
  20. gtg465x's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    The European Titans seemed to be fine. The Titans in the states seem to have problems with muffled voice, signal issues and random rebooting. It just seems odd to me. A lot of people in the forums here have returned their Titans.
    The thing is, a lot of Titans are being sold and most people who have an issue will report it and look for answers. However, people who don't have any issues typically don't say a word in forums like this.

    I'm pretty sure the muffled voice is a software issue because the mic works great when you do an audio recording and European owners running a different software build haven't been complaining. I'm betting it will be fixed with an update. For what it's worth, I haven't received any complaints from people I've called anyways.

    I haven't experienced signal issues or rebooting either and I don't think these issues are widespread. I mean, only five to ten people have reported random reboots in these forums out of the thousands of Titan owners reading. Same with the signal issue. I've only seen a few people report it.
  21. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,296 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,523 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    The thing is, a lot of Titans are being sold and most people who have an issue will report it and look for answers. However, people who don't have any issues typically don't say a word in forums like this.

    I'm pretty sure the muffled voice is a software issue because the mic works great when you do an audio recording and European owners running a different software build haven't been complaining. I'm betting it will be fixed with an update. For what it's worth, I haven't received any complaints from people I've called anyways.

    I haven't experienced signal issues or rebooting either and I don't think these issues are widespread. I mean, only five to ten people have reported random reboots in these forums out of the thousands of Titan owners reading. Same with the signal issue. I've only seen a few people report it.
    I hear ya. I think there is a lot validity to what you are saying. I have a GSM HTC Trophy and have had zero problems with it. The only major problem with the Trophy I have read about is the Verizon Trophy has trouble switching from CDMA to GSM and then back to CDMA.

    I've been through a lot of phone launches and the issues with the U.S. Titan just seem a little excessive to me.

    Muffled voice poll: http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/poll1459.htm

    Signal Issues poll: http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan/poll1460.htm

    There's no poll on returns or reboots, but I have read a high number of posts of people who have returned their Titan and now this random rebooting issue is popping up.

    Just my two cents.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  22. Judge_Daniel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    713 Posts
    #22  
    Does anyone know if any other Windows Phones do this? I know my Focus has rebooted about three times since I've gotten it--once today, which is why I took notice of this thread. I thought it was because I had been playing too many games and the memory just decided to give up, lol.

    As for it being a contest phone, I understand your pains. I won my Focus from a contest and every time it does ANYTHING abnormal I freak out. Have you tried tweeting to @WinPhoneSupport or @WindowsPhone? WinPhoneSupport has always answered my questions, even if they aren't the most helpful (like when I asked if WP7 devices would be upgradable to WP8, they said that the info hasn't been released).

    Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phones: HTC 8X & HTC Trophy & Samsung Focus
    PC:Dell Studio XPS 1640

    My app: Plant Guide

    Spitfire 4.0, my HTC Imagio, rest in peace.
  23. 5tephen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Daniel View Post
    Does anyone know if any other Windows Phones do this? I know my Focus has rebooted about three times since I've gotten it--once today, which is why I took notice of this thread. I thought it was because I had been playing too many games and the memory just decided to give up, lol.

    As for it being a contest phone, I understand your pains. I won my Focus from a contest and every time it does ANYTHING abnormal I freak out. Have you tried tweeting to @WinPhoneSupport or @WindowsPhone? WinPhoneSupport has always answered my questions, even if they aren't the most helpful (like when I asked if WP7 devices would be upgradable to WP8, they said that the info hasn't been released).
    I have tried @WindowsPhone who never answers but usually I talk to @BenthePCguy who generally responds except for as of late. But I'll try out winphonesupport.
  24. neftv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
       #24  
    I found an application in marketplace called last boot up time
    It shows when the phone was rebooted and uptime. Even though I just installed it showing uptime of 23hours and some minutes as of this posting.

    Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
  25. pecuevasb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    #25  
    My TITAN hasn't rebooted on me. Actually, I've had no problems with it at all. The only thing that bugs me is that it seems to stay charging at %99 for a very long time.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions