Second chance?

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
So I had an Arrive back when it first arrived (ahah), and got rid of it quick. This was pre-Mango, so the lack of multitasking was the major factor. Right now I switched to ATT and am rocking the GSII OG. The promise of Apollo and Mango already seems amazingly fast, responsive, and "just works" which is great. It is consistent which Android is not...at all! I love the hubs especially the people hub where I can see all of my contacts linked to FB and twitter instead of having to fumble around with 85581519 different apps. Creating a group of close friends and putting it as a tile also works.

Only thing I'm having trouble with is me getting bored. The lack of even tile customization (and i know they got A LOT better since the Arrive times), and the fact that their is no wallpaper besides the lockscreen makes me afraid I will get bored of the device QUICK.

So if you guys were in my shoes, what would you do? Would you get the Titan now, wait, or what?

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So I had an Arrive back when it first arrived (ahah), and got rid of it quick. This was pre-Mango, so the lack of multitasking was the major factor. Right now I switched to ATT and am rocking the GSII OG. The promise of Apollo and Mango already seems amazingly fast, responsive, and "just works" which is great. It is consistent which Android is not...at all! I love the hubs especially the people hub where I can see all of my contacts linked to FB and twitter instead of having to fumble around with 85581519 different apps. Creating a group of close friends and putting it as a tile also works.

Only thing I'm having trouble with is me getting bored. The lack of even tile customization (and i know they got A LOT better since the Arrive times), and the fact that their is no wallpaper besides the lockscreen makes me afraid I will get bored of the device QUICK.

So if you guys were in my shoes, what would you do? Would you get the Titan now, wait, or what?
If you go to windows marketplace and search for custom tiles maker you get three hits with 4 stars. Is that what your talking about?

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Buy a cheap Nexus One for $100 on Craigslist to satisfy your hacking needs. You can have fun with it all you want and use the Titan as your daily driver. That's what I'm doing anyways. Have a Galaxy S II that I develop for and mess with, but the Titan is where my sim card stays.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I get bored easily too, and just picked up WP within the last couple of months, mainly because it was the last OS I hadnt tried yet, I put my Atrix down and havent picked it up since moving to the Focus...had the Titan, now using the Focus S...I would say it would be worth another try--maybe not the Titan, although you may be one of the lucky few that get a good one. Lots to like about the Titan, but the few things that are dealbreakers are just that--dealbreakers. For me, it was the call quality, for others it has been the random reboots, I think those were the main 2 reasons some of us have already swapped out or returned our Titans altogether and moved on to a different device, or back to an original device.

One of the first things I do with a new device is jailbreak/root/unlock it, and since coming to WP, I have found that I have more time to do other things since there isn't just a ton of customization you can do since there don't seem to be as many cooks for WP as there are for Android or iOS...my phone is unlocked and has all the Homebrew available at the moment. Looking forward to new goodies as they become available, but until then, I have just been enjoying the new phone doing what it does now...lots of things are built in already without needing to hack it in, and I am constantly showing my wife something I can do that she cant do with her iPhone...

If you are big into hacking and tweaking, and just feel the need to be performing nerd surgery, I would say you will become bored relatively quickly...but if you can get by doing just a little bit of tweaking, I think you will find that WP is a pretty cool OS with a lot to offer, and some great things are around the corner when more devs get involved. And one of the coolest thing about that is Microsoft seems to encourage people to get involved, by providing tutorials on how to develop stuff for the platform...

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

Thing about rooting is that i do it probably just so I can have the phone working. The battery life was terrible so I installed the unnamed rom to fix it. I guess the main pro about android is we get developers to port and not having to wait for the official release. Aka the nexus so has a full icecream sandwich rom working perfectly. Where this point becomes mute is like apple, ms releases timely updates to all their devices and not leaving phones in the dust which is why Android's fragmentation is hurting them and lot.

Not sure what you meant by the market place app? Btw how is the marketplace nowadays? I don't really game on my phone at all and use only some apps like my capital one app, ebay, etc aka apps that I can probably find or a replacement at least.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Btw if I trade in my gs2 and buy the titan will I still have the 30 days incase my titan is defected or I don't like it?

Brunothesheep

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
From what I was told, you only get the 30 days for one device, otherwise people would be switching phones once a month for the cost of the restocking fee, leaving AT&T will thousands of perfectly functioning devices that they can only sell as refurbished.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I know. What I'm saying is that if it's defective they better be giving me a new one as many times as I'm having problems with it. Obviously if I switch to a different phone all together then it's once.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I know. What I'm saying is that if it's defective they better be giving me a new one as many times as I'm having problems with it. Obviously if I switch to a different phone all together then it's once.
Only one exchange from the policy. They aren't gonna keep letting you exchange it for every defect, usually you'd have to go through warranty. If you're cool with the store reps, I'm sure they allow another exchange.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
. If you're cool with the store reps, I'm sure they allow another exchange.

yea, people sometimes underestimate how being a good customer, paying on time etc. Combined with a generally nice disposition and friendliness with the reps will get get better results. much better than insisting that the reps owe us something.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
yea, people sometimes underestimate how being a good customer, paying on time etc. Combined with a generally nice disposition and friendliness with the reps will get get better results. much better than insisting that the reps owe us something.
Very true. As a manager at AT&T, the nicest customers always got my approval for things within my power (except any iPhone credits... those you would get fired for, no questions asked).

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Never said the reps owe us anything. Thing is if I buy a phone full price from att and it is a defective unit how does it make sense for me to have to be stuck with it. This phone off contract is 500+ so I have to hope and pray mine isn't defective cus I could be stuck paying 500$ for a broken phone? Sounds a little retarded to me

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Never said the reps owe us anything. Thing is if I buy a phone full price from att and it is a defective unit how does it make sense for me to have to be stuck with it. This phone off contract is 500+ so I have to hope and pray mine isn't defective cus I could be stuck paying 500$ for a broken phone? Sounds a little retarded to me
You will get a replacement, one time, but after that it will be refurbed. It does make sense... companies lose a lot of money giving out brand new phones for replacements. AT&T is the most generous because of their 30 day policy. Every other company gives 14 days.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
A refurb one is fine if mine is having problem, as long as the refurb doesn't have the same problems. Posters made it seem that I would just be beat if I exchanged it already once, and then my second one was still having problems ATT would just tell me "sorry, your out of luck", and I'd be stuck with a malfunctioning phone.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
A refurb one is fine if mine is having problem, as long as the refurb doesn't have the same problems. Posters made it seem that I would just be beat if I exchanged it already once, and then my second one was still having problems ATT would just tell me "sorry, your out of luck", and I'd be stuck with a malfunctioning phone.
Then yes, you'll be able to get a replacement device if you continue to have defects.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

Thing about rooting is that i do it probably just so I can have the phone working. The battery life was terrible so I installed the unnamed rom to fix it. I guess the main pro about android is we get developers to port and not having to wait for the official release. Aka the nexus so has a full icecream sandwich rom working perfectly. Where this point becomes mute is like apple, ms releases timely updates to all their devices and not leaving phones in the dust which is why Android's fragmentation is hurting them and lot.

Not sure what you meant by the market place app? Btw how is the marketplace nowadays? I don't really game on my phone at all and use only some apps like my capital one app, ebay, etc aka apps that I can probably find or a replacement at least.

Unnamed rom eh? ;)

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Haha yes. You make an amazing and stable rom . But my point was that I need your rom to have the work working the smoothest possible. Windows optimizes it so it works amazing out the box ala apple.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

I suggest Strattera or some other ADD medication :)

(I kid!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos