Titan on T-Mo

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
OK I know if I were to buy an AT&T Titan that my data speeds would be unacceptable on my T-Mo plan. I can't see paying for fast data and only having slow data. I use data quite a bit.

But can anyone answer for me, were I to buy an international or UK version of the Titan, would that be able to access the faster data on T-Mo?

Really love the look and size of the titan.

Thanks for the help.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
No, it wont. As far as Tmo is concerned, the Dell Venue Pro would be the only option for an unlocked AWS compatible WP7 device. Nothing else released internationally will work on Tmo's 3G.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you will get 3G with a TITAN on T-Mobile soon. I'm not sure when this takes effect; T-Mobile users will be able to roam on At&t's 3G network soon. But by "3G" do they include the HSPA+ that they brand is "4G?" I'm not sure all the specifics, but it should be pretty decent speeds for mobile internet.

In AT&T breakup, T-Mobile gets 3G roaming deal and wireless spectrum | VentureBeat

Dont think that will help, wont the roaming just be for areas where Tmo has poor coverage? So if you're in a good AWS area you wont be able to use att's network unless you force it, then you could be penalised for excessive roaming.

Personally I'm hoping Nokia makes whatever device they bring to att quadband like the 710 so that there is a chance that could be unlocked to use with a Tmo SIM card. I can tell you I will be very interested if that happens.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I read that one of the preconditions for Nokia to sell phones through U.S. Carriers was they had to stop selling unbranded/unlocked GSM phones in the U.S.

Carriers in the U.S. want you locked into them, and don't want you taking your phone to another carrier.

I have an unbranded/unlocked Nokia N8 that has pentaband. It works fine with 3G on AT&T or T-Mobile.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
How cool it would be if carriers in the US were brave enough to compete on service rather than contract. Talk about letting the free market work as it should..wait, first we need a free market. nevermind.

steveymacjr

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
How cool it would be if carriers in the US were brave enough to compete on service rather than contract. Talk about letting the free market work as it should..wait, first we need a free market. nevermind.

Um, no one is forcing you to get a contract... Everyone is free to get an unlocked GSM device and use it on any carrier they wish.. AT&T and T-Mobile both have prepaid plans that you can use them with.
If you want to use the phone on T-Mobile you would have to get a device that supports its 3G bands, most non-Windows Phone Nokia's are Pentaband...(The Chipset Microsoft requires for Windows Phone does not support pentaband.)

The only downside to going with an unlocked phone is the high upfront costs.

If you want a low upfront cost you have to get a contract... can't have your cake and eat it too...

There is a free market for GSM devices, it's just expensive....

For most people, the #1 requirement they have for a network is "does it work where I Live/Work/Play?" and once they find one that fits them, they tend to stay with it for a long time. This is why most people don't mind getting a contract. They figure the service is good to great, and they have to pay for the service on a monthly basis to begin with, so why not pay a low up front cost for the device, even if it means a contract...

Very few people switch carriers for a device(iphone excluded)...

because Verizon and Sprint use CDMA, and the carrier has to approve the device, I'm not including them in this discussion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte