Camera sharpness

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I took some comparison photos with my Titan and iPhone 4s today. When I pulled them off on my computer to compare them, I noticed that the file size on the Titan picks was around half that of the iPhone pics. At first, I suspected compression, but I also noticed that detail was fuzzy on the Titan pics.

Looking at camera settings, I noticed that Sharpness was set to medium by default. Could this be the culprit? If I set it to Max, will my pictures look better and have bigger file size?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I keep mines set to normal because I'd rather adjust the sharpness manually. However, I've never tried turning up the sharpness. Maybe a few test shots are in order.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
It seems like I had to set it higher on my Focus S before it started taking better pictures. I never actually checked the file sizes, though. I will do some testing of my own with sharpness on max and report back. Not sure why it would be set lower by default if it gives you better quality photos.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Update:

Took some sample shots of the same subjects last night with sharpness set to max. The pictures definitely have more detail, but the file sizes are still significantly smaller than those from the iPhone and roughly the same size as the pics I took on medium sharpness.

Reading some older reviews on the Titan, it looks like the HTC phones use some sort of JPEG compression that squashes the file size down, so that's the culprit. Doesn't seem to affect quality much, just makes them lighter on your internal storage.

clockworksnarf

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to get my camera to take close-UPS of anything, even in macro mode text is unreadable, do I have a defective unit?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to get my camera to take close-UPS of anything, even in macro mode text is unreadable, do I have a defective unit?

Are you using touch-to-focus, or the camera button. I find that the camera button tends to screw up my shots more often than not. It's also really stiff, causing me to move the camera.

You might try manually selecting macro from camera settings.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

I had the same problem with my Samsung Focus. What I figured out is that the phone, most times, try to focus on macro shots, but actually loses focus after a few seconds. You can tell, because the box disappears from your frame. What I do is press half way, wait for the right amount of focus, then press the rest of the way, before the box disappears from the frame.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett