During calls, phone is blacked out

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
[RESOLVED] During calls, phone is blacked out

Does anyone seem to be having this problem?? Everytime I answer a call or make a call, the screen just blacks out. I try pushing all the buttons on the phone and it just doesn't respond. It sucks cause I usually have to wait until the other person hangs up and then my phone will be normal again. (Don't even get me started when I have a call go to voicemail...)

Any solution to this problem?

UPDATE: It was my screen protector messing things up. Removed it and the phone is back to normal. It was messing with the light sensors or something. :D

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Is this a new problem or has your phone always worked like this? Have you tried a hard reset?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My screen goes dark during a call due to the proximity sensor, as soon as I get a few inches away the screen goes back on. Sounds like your sensor is defective.

nick6c

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
My parents has this problem before but now she has reset it. Therefore, don't have this problem again until now ;)

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for all your replies.

I did, grudgingly, try a hard reset and it did not work. The problem only began occurring recently and I've had this phone since January. Unfortunately the problem doesn't randomly occur; rather, it's consistently happening with every phone call.

stoogefandave

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had that happen before but it turned out it had to do with how I was holding the phone. My thumb/fingers were somewhat wrapped around the front a little and the prox sensor thought that I was holding it up to my head. I haven't had the problem since I figured this out. I'm not exactly sure where the sensor is located. Maybe try setting the phone down when on a call to test it.

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE!!!

So I visited my local Microsoft Store near UCLA and I talked to someone who, upon seeing my phone, immediately jumped on me for putting plastic on my screen. ("It's Gorilla Glass, fool! It won't scratch!!") The guy later helped me out with my phone and couldn't find anything wrong with the phone itself, but said that he thought the screen protector I had on it might be the source of the problem. So I ripped out and voila, problem solved.

tl;dr ppl: remove screen protector, problem solved.

srikumarNair

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Problem solved for me

Removing the screen protector solved the issue .Seems to be an issue with sensors which fails to detect light due to obstruction ,especially when the protectors gets old and starts to loose the grip on the screen.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Removing the screen protector solved the issue .Seems to be an issue with sensors which fails to detect light due to obstruction ,especially when the protectors gets old and starts to loose the grip on the screen.
Hmm, the screen protector on my L900 has a cutout for the light/prox sensors.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Ilovetri

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody
maybe, someone is still following this thread.
I'm now having the same issue, however, no screen protector is applied to easily resolve the problem.
Does anybody know, where the prox sensor is located.
Is there any other cause known for this issue?

Thanks for any hints

Rob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3