Post your HTC Trophy Reviews

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The HTC Trophy is finally available on Verizon its time for some reviews. Tell us what you think of that shiny new Trophy.

:cool: Dave

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I came to the conclusion that it's not going to replace my zune. That will be my primary music player as the Trophy will not accomodate my large library. The Trophy, in reference to music, will be mostly used for Zune Pass so I can discover more artists and music!

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm the opposite. I am getting the Trophy specifically so it can replace both my Zune and my phone, or rather, consolidate them into one device. Also, you can do A2DP with it, so no more tangled cords :-D

It also helps I have a relatively medium-sized music library at ~10GB, leaving enough room for my pictures, apps, podcasts, and a video or two.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I want to know more about the battery life since it's going to replace my zune
My 1230mAh Surround battery life is so so. The Trophy with similar specs and a 1500mAh battery will be better. At least 20% better. Can probably gt through most days without a boost charge depending on your usage.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I came to the conclusion that it's not going to replace my zune. That will be my primary music player as the Trophy will not accomodate my large library. The Trophy, in reference to music, will be mostly used for Zune Pass so I can discover more artists and music!

I have replaced my zune with my Dell Venue Pro..
my zune hd was a 16 gig as well as my Phone..
Love the new PHone !!
I do still use the zune when doing yard work or stuff but having bluetooth headphones is awesome..

ThinkFr33ly

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
No SLCD Screen

This isn't a full review, as I won't have the phone until 10:30 AM tomorrow, but I will say that this thing almost certainly does *not* have an SLCD screen.

I played with it for quite a while in the store. The screen was crisp and bright with good viewing angles, but was clearly not SLCD.

Also, the screen's black levels / contrast weren't very good. The black background of the home screen had an obvious (but not horrible) washed out look.

Perhaps that's just the display model, but I doubt it.

Deal breaker? Nope. Not even close. But it's a far cry from the wonderful AMOLED screen on the Focus or the screen on my ZuneHD.

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
the one thing i want to know the worst, is what is the memory accessibility like? i know it doesn't have an "expansion slot", but is it a MicroSD card? Is it user accessible?

I realize that WP7 is utilizing the "Secure" in SD, and that there are *some* issues changing the cards in them, but I require the option. So whomever gets one first, can you please let, at least me, know?

Thanks!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
SD card info on Trophy

the one thing i want to know the worst, is what is the memory accessibility like? i know it doesn't have an "expansion slot", but is it a MicroSD card? Is it user accessible?

I realize that WP7 is utilizing the "Secure" in SD, and that there are *some* issues changing the cards in them, but I require the option. So whomever gets one first, can you please let, at least me, know?

Thanks!

Take a look at this XDA link. It shows how to change the SD card. It's based on the Europial version but other that being GSM they should be the same.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821879

Let us know if you try this and how it goes.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The spec page on Verizon is puting the battery at 1300 mAh
Really. I stand corrected then. Thought the Trophy, Mozart and Pro were all 1500mAh, but I guess not. Still better than 1230mAh though.

dago240sx

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Mine will be here tomorrow and im excited, im also coming from the fascinate and i hate that thing so much. Cant wait till 930am cause thats when my fed ex lady gets here....

theawddone

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for the screen compared to SLCD because I haven't looked at any of the other aforementioned phones with one, however, it seems sufficient to me so far. This is also my first windows phone I've played with outside of a store.

I got one today at my local verizon store, after they thought they didn't have any in stock and I was going to have to pre-order it. I can confirm the battery is in fact 1300mAh, per the back of the cell (in case there was any doubts, but unlikely).

Before today, I was using a palm pre, so I knew from the start I would miss some of the convenient multi-tasking capabilities. There are a few more touches to get to places, but I haven't really missed the "actual" multi-tasking, everything is getting accomplished just the same. Once the card view is enabled in Mango, I think this problem will be alleviated entirely. One of my other related disappointments is that the global search is limited to internet, and does not include contacts for quick call or messaging. Having to go into the messaging or people app seems like an unnecessary extra gesture. I am not sure if this is being addressed in the Mango. Also, compared to the pre, I miss having a quick button to toggle the sound to vibrate...extra press, but having to touch the screen instead of just a hard button is a bit annoying after what I had to do before (Just a switch); I know this feature is on the iPhone, too.

On the plus...coming from webOS where it by default added all of my contacts from facebook, being able to only link up existing contacts is fantastic. Glad to only have my gmail contacts (my main storage location) with facebook information linked up. Other great things (all common to WP7, but I appreciate): basic notifications on lock screen! I can't express in words how much I appreciate seeing next calendar event w/o having to unlock the phone, in addition to the number of messages of all kinds (iOS displays nothing of the sort, android only shows an icon that something has been received...webOS is the only competitor, who shows a sample of the latest message + notification count). Also, bing search bringing up local search with a lot more information than just a google result is fantastic. I already can tell I will use that a lot, already did once tonight. I also hope to see more apps with a livetile, e.g. ESPN seems well suited for it...

Some other nice things, if you touch the notification in the lock screen, and then unlock it, it seems to go to the message directly. Also, being able to touch a notification while in the phone, handle it, and then go back to the app I was at is great. Close enough to multitasking to me (also far better than iOS' "multi-tasking" in the same situation...would have to do way more button presses+touches; even in WebOS would be more gestures; not sure about Android...definitely still more though). ALSO: call history shows name of the business called, if you use the bing search -- freaking sweet! So many times I've looked through my history to call a business (e.g. best buy for htc trophy deadlines!) and couldn't identify the number because there was no tags. Speakerphone also seems to work really well, too. I am a satisfied customer!

As far as speed goes, everything seems pretty smooth for the most part. Sometimes when browsing the market or a long list with icons it will stutter a bit, but otherwise I am really impressed with the flow of the icons and such. There was a strange delay/lack of response, however, when I was trying to skip through a facebook photo album via the people menu. The pictures had definitely loaded, but sometimes it did not register the swipe, kind of strange. Girlfriend was trying it and having issues, and I thought maybe it was her...but then it happened to me a few times (albeit less).

If people are interested, I can keep this post updated, but I am sure others will include more thorough reviews. These are just my experiences/thoughts thus far.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that you can press/hold the center button and speak the person you want to call. And I believe with Mango, Tell Me will also support voice text messaging.

It is a bummer that Microsoft does not (never has) support global search. Miss that from my old Palm days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb