Odd experience at the verizon store

Seeker27

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, just wanted to share my experience today. I ordered my Trophy online and got it yesterday. Today I drove to my Verizon store (an official one. Not the kiosks in the mall or authorized retailer) I walked in and they asked what I needed today and I said I'd like to take a look at the HTC Trophy accessories. The guy asked me what a trophy was. He had no idea and a second worker said it was the phone in the corner. The first guy was clueless and asked to see my phone. As i showed him a few of the features the second guy went to look for accessories in the back (after asking me what kind of phone it was again). I showed the first employee a few of the features and he said i taught him everything he knew about the phone. This was the first he had ever seen one and i was the only person he knew had one. He asked me 3 or 4 times why i didnt get the iPhone with my upgrade. Kept talking about how his phone could blow mine out of the water. Kind of annoying. But anyway, the second guy said they only had the model on the wall and that they had no idea when any accessories would be available. He went on to ask about it and was much nicer about it than the first guy. He said they didn't have any training on it at all. He made a comment about how he'll stick with his droid phone and that it didn't seem like a fit for him.

Sorry to ramble so much, but i just thought it was odd that they didn't have a clue. I'm new to the phone but wish i could have made a better impression with it. They didn't seem interested in it other than using it as a way to make their phones look wonderful and amazing. Just hope they get some accessories soon. I suppose i can always find something online of course... Just wanted to share

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I went into a Verizon "Premium" retail store a couple days after the Trophy launched, not an official Verizon store. They knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked to see the phone. Oddly enough, they were excited for Windows Phone 7 on Verizon. All of the employees except one had a droid. The one who didn't had a Windows Phone 7 from AT&T. They were pretty much in agreement that if you wanted a phone that just worked and were a user of Microsoft's ecosystem, it'd be a fine choice. Most of them wanted to stay with their droids simply because they wanted the newest features like dual core and 4g, but were at least respectful and knowledgeable. Very different experience!

However, I went to a Radio Shack to try and take a peek at a Windows Phone 7 device on another carrier since it's a bit of a drive to a Verizon store where I live. They all looked at me like I had four heads when I asked if they had a phone I could take a look at. Comments like, "why would you want a Windows phone and not a droid" were common. I explained to them that I wanted a phone that just worked, has connectivity to Microsoft's ecosystem, and uniformity that the android os can't offer. The employees seemed to at least listen to me.

Hopefully when Mango comes out and more advertizing is done, the "prejudice" will cease. It's definitely disheartening when experiences like yours occur. Certain phones are just better at certain things and appeal to different people.

Last edited:

Seeker27

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting. I definitely agree that different people like different things, but you would think that as a salesman they would try to be as knowledgeable as possible about the phones they sell. Also, I suppose it's good to give the customer the pros and cons of things but to make their brand seem perfect and steer one away from their personal choices seems kinda wrong. As a salesman in the phone industry where all styles are being sold under one roof, you would think the "playing field" would be more equal.

I am also looking forward to Mango and the attention it will grab. I hope it will open some people's eyes as to what all these phones have to offer. I guess it all comes down to who the carrier decides to bring into the spotlight. IPhones and Androids get a lot of attention.

Thanks for sharing your story KockM

Last edited:

swantonsoup

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Just went to a Verizon store in DC. People there had one on display but didn't know anything about it. Told a girl that they had no idea what it was about. Didn't have any accessories.

I showed the girl my phone and she seemed real impressed. She said that she thought it was the easiest to use (she thought that before she looked at mine).

Sad.

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I also had a negative experience at an "official" Verizon store. I went to the store on the first day of the online launch to physically get my hands on one of the Trophy's to check out. They had one demo unit and after several minutes of checking it out the sales rep came over to help me. I told him I was interested in upgrading my Palm Pre Plus for the Trophy. He asked if I was familiar with WP7 OS, I told him that I had been "reading up" on it for quite a while and just waiting for it to launch on Verizon. The Rep. then proceeded to try and sell me a new Thunderbolt, which is plagued with problems by the way. I said politely that I already did my research and that I want the Trophy. He then asked if he could show me one more phone to check out, which was the iphone. I again told him that I was only interested in the Trophy. He wouldn't say anything about the phone or the OS, only tried to push other phones on me. Needless to say, since they were not selling the phones in-store for another week, I went home and ordered it online with free 2 day shipping. Regardless of the phone or OS, I don't think its fair to have an agenda against a phone like that, no matter if its a terrible phone or not, especially if the customer is interested in it.

Seeker27

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I had the palm pre plus and I thought it was a fun and easy to use OS. It had the same problem with reps not wanting anything to do with it. It is sad that they push only certain phones. I get the feeling that it might not be the employee that isn't pushing it but might be Verizon saying they need to push certain products. Just my gut feeling by the way people have acted and all the ads on TV and things.

WayneDiesel34

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
When I ordered my Trophy on May 26th, I had to do it over the phone because they were "out of stock" online. Anyway, the rep that I had, although very nice, started hitting me with all these questions.

She asked "Have I ever used a windows phone before"? "What made me chose a Windows phone"? Then she said, well I see that you have a Droid 2, you do realize that this is a different OS.

Umm......DUH!!!

I told her I have been doing research and waiting patiently for the release of this phone.
All the while saying to myself, "If she asks me one more question or says something other than your phone order has been placed, I would have to ball her out". lol

Then while I was out I stopped into a Verizon store to see if they had a display up yet. When I asked the rep did they have a demo for the phone, he hesistated at first, and then pointed me over to the corner. Then just walked away.

As I was checking the demo out, he returns, and says "Oh, yea, you that the LG Revolution, and the Experia came out for ordering today as well". I said, I know, but I am getting the Trophy. He, said why?

I said, because that is what I want. Then he goes into a serious WP7 phone bashing rant.

"Oh that phone ain't this, that phone ain't that". "It's not dual core, it's not 4G, yada yada yada"

I said, so what, when Mango comes out in the fall then what you gonna say? He looked at me like what the **** was I talking about lol. I just put the phone down and left.

It's bad enough that these reps don't know about WP7 but there is no need to bash it or get rude because everyone doesn't want what the reps want them to have.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Just went to a Verizon store in DC. People there had one on display but didn't know anything about it. Told a girl that they had no idea what it was about. Didn't have any accessories.

I showed the girl my phone and she seemed real impressed. She said that she thought it was the easiest to use (she thought that before she looked at mine).

Sad.

I picked my Trophy up a week agao at the Verizon Store in Bethesda on Wisconsin Ave. When I told them I was interested in the Trophy, the sales associate showed me the phone and walked through all the features, which I already knew about from my research online. When I told them I wanted to buy it, a man from Microsoft (I assume) came up from behine a stand I hadn't noticed and gave me a goody bag with discounts of on apps, a free X-Box game and even a T-shirt. He then gave the sales associate the coupon for a free X-Box game and a T-shirt as well, as she was the first person in the store to sell a Trophy. Then, to top it all off, when they rang up the bill, the price was reduced from the $149 price listed to $129. Talk about stellar service and knowledgeable staff. Next time, try the Bethesda store if it's convenient.

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow! They treated you like royalty! Good to hear one other "positive" if not exemplary experience,

Speaking of Xbox 360 games, if anyone has purchased an HTC Trophy, they can get their free Xbox game from the link below, you just have to put in your MEID number located in the settings. It's running until July 10th, and includes anyone who got one, upgrade or off contract.

https://microsoft.promo.eprize.com/verizonphone7/?affiliate_id=freexboxgamenow

Don't want people missing out on their goodies!

I get the impression from your experience Umm Yeah.. that the MS rep was there to train them on the device and fix the issue that most of us are having with bad sales reps. Microsoft has acknowledged the problem and maybe this is their solution. Sending out reps, hopefully at least.

Seeker27

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up on the freebie. I heard about it but figured I wasn't eligible since I didn't get a flyer or anything about it.

Glad to hear about the awesome experience!

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah I just got my free xbox game friday for the phone I bought. Plus I got my sister's to buy a wp7 from verizon and sprint from the microsoftstore.com for a penny each plus since they're not into xbox they both game me their 4000 ms points cards which I got one on friday and still waitting for the other one.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I get the feeling that it might not be the employee that isn't pushing it but might be Verizon saying they need to push certain products. Just my gut feeling by the way people have acted and all the ads on TV and things.

100 percent incorrect. There is absolutely no pressure from our company to sell one device over the other. There is, however, a strong emphasis on selling smart phones as a whole.

Seeker27

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
100 percent incorrect. There is absolutely no pressure from our company to sell one device over the other. There is, however, a strong emphasis on selling smart phones as a whole.

That's good that it's an even playing field. Thanks for the clarification. Just out of curiosity, who comes up with marketing of phones? Is it a mix of the phone company and Verizon?

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
ejnelly shhhh.... don't tell them that. Plus I did get them both a smartphone for a penny and they both came from feature phones. Also I guess now I'm their tech guy because I get phone calls from them day and night about stuff on their phone phone.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
If you buy a trophy (verizon), arrive (sprint), or hd7 (t-mo) from microsoftstore.com you only pay a penny for it and get a 4000 ms points card ($49.99) as well

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Tell me more please! I use the Zune PC software and I didn't hear anything of this promo.

When you purchase songs off of the Zune market place you use Microsoft points. So purchasing a Trophy from the Microsoft store for 1 cent and receiving a 4000 Microsoft points (a $49.99 value) results in the ability to purchase $49.99 worth of music. You can also receive the 4000 points from Best Buy, but the phone is not a penny there.

Wireless Vet

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
That's good that it's an even playing field.

How could it not be? The rumor that we as sales reps are required/encouraged/forced to offer one phone over another is so ridiculous. Anyone with any kind of sense can imagine the illegalities of doing so, and the conflict of interest claims that would come up.

We have a marketing department, and the marketing is a joint effort between our company and the manufacturer of the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)