Question about Mango and Verizon

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I am planning to upgrade to a Trophy when my contract comes up for renewal next month. However I have a question that I know does not have a good answer. Will Verizon sit on the Mango update like they have for at least some of their Android phones? I presume that Verizon will "tweak" Mango once it is released from Microsoft. I would be disappointed if it takes 8 months or more.

I guess I will have to consider switching networks if I think this might happen.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how there can be any tweaking? They can can stall updates with testing which I'm sure they will given their obvious hatred of MS but eventually the upgrades will happen. Let me tell you I have mango on a trophy and it is amazing
!

What a travesty it would be to not have this OS on the best network with the best devices..can you say Nokia?

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess I was thinking of what Verizon did to Android for some of their phones. But that is open source software. Hopefully all that Verizon can do for (or rather ... to) Mango is to add their software.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That is true even now with Nodo. Verizon has added a VZW hub.. and thats it.. its basically just WP7 through and through..

One of the reason I put Mango on my Trophy is due to my sincere belief that VZW will take forever to do their testing to approve the Mango update.. time will tell.. Hope I'm wrong..

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I was actually signed up on the App Hub before it was clear that developers could flash their phones with Mango, but I have to say the money spent on the App Hub subscription was well spent. IMHO, Mango MAKES this phone.

I'm on business this week and also happened to get a Ford Fusion as my rental. Once I paired my Trophy with the car, it was like magic. I can't see how my next car isn't going to have Sync as it's just too freaking slick to pass up.

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to Android updates thus far Verizon and HTC have been the best at keeping up. That might change with AT&T's new focus on every smartphone that isn't an iPhone, but up to Gingerbread (who most carriers and OEMs have yet to really upgrade to) that's how it's stood.

Of course, it does seem Verizon has been pissed off at MS since the Kin debacle. So we could be in for a long wait. Good news is, unlike Android, there's nothing Verizon can install on WP7 we can't uninstall.

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, the agreement between MS & the carriers dose not permit them to fiddle with it outside of platform specific radio/performance tweaks. Carriers mess with Android so much that it isn't even funny, so they take their time messing it up.

Mango Beta has been running just fine on my VZW Trophy and I have no desire to roll back to NoDo unless I'm doing so the same day I upgrade to the final Mango release.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Agree with Webdev511 !

And I didnt think they could make the UI any slicker or faster.. I was wrong.. 7712 is simply AMAZING !

Bring on the APPs that utilize sockets and multitasking !

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I was actually signed up on the App Hub before it was clear that developers could flash their phones with Mango, but I have to say the money spent on the App Hub subscription was well spent. IMHO, Mango MAKES this phone.

I'm on business this week and also happened to get a Ford Fusion as my rental. Once I paired my Trophy with the car, it was like magic. I can't see how my next car isn't going to have Sync as it's just too freaking slick to pass up.

I just rented a Fusion with Sync for a week down in Florida and really dug using it with my Trophy. I think there are some features that don't work yet (voice nav) or some that work with the iPhone but not WP for some reason (voice selecting music tracks), but the fact that setup was simply me turning BT on was amazingly simple. SYNC needs to spread the love!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99