Verizon HTC Trophy and SIM card

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I've upgraded HTC Trophy to mango and am travelling to europe - do I need to do anything with verizon to use a prepaid SIM card or is the phone unlocked by virtue of doing a clean install of mango rather than a modified Verizon version.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
A Verizon HTC Trophy phone is a CDMA phone. It won't work in Europe since they use GSM and it won't take a GSM sim card.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
The Trophy is a World Phone and will work outside of the US on GSM networks. You need to call Verizon and have them activate global roaming. Also, if you have an account in good standing (not sure of the definition of that) they will unlock the GSM part of your phone and you can use other SIMs in the phone.

I don't know if the process is any different with Mango since I haven't traveled overseas since I upgraded. I did have Verizon uplock my phone to allow for other sims, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The Trophy is a World Phone and will work outside of the US on GSM networks. You need to call Verizon and have them activate global roaming. Also, if you have an account in good standing (not sure of the definition of that) they will unlock the GSM part of your phone and you can use other SIMs in the phone.

I don't know if the process is any different with Mango since I haven't traveled overseas since I upgraded. I did have Verizon uplock my phone to allow for other sims, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

I stand corrected. Thank you for that information. I did not know it was CDMA & GSM capable.

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Thanks - my concern was whether I still needed to call verizon to sim unlock the phone as I'd obviously reflashed with Mango whihc is not formally released. My intention was to get a local SIM card when I get to Europe.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks - my concern was whether I still needed to call verizon to sim unlock the phone as I'd obviously reflashed with Mango whihc is not formally released. My intention was to get a local SIM card when I get to Europe.

That's the smart thing to do. My Wife and I get an Orange SIM card when we go to France.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes