My mom needs a phone from the 21st century is the Trophy good?

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
She doesn't need bells and whistles of Mango, NoDo will be fine. Is it a good enough phone to get on eBay?

Sent from my non mindless sheep iphone Samsung Focus using Board Express

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The Trophy is pretty nice. Nothing special about it, but all around a solid phone, good for someone who doesn't care about the latest and greatest.

Are you looking at the Verizon trophy? If so, then if you can I would wait until Verizon announces something new (hoping it won't be too long). There's probably gonna be a bunch of dirt cheap trophies on eBay when that happens.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
She doesn't need bells and whistles of Mango, NoDo will be fine. Is it a good enough phone to get on eBay?

Trophy would be an awesome first smartphone for your mom. No learning curve to speak of...she can activate it and go. It is far more than just 'good enough: it is beautiful, easy to use, and unintmidating: very welcoming for any new user, but especially so for a first foray into the smartphone world.

Assume that any phone would get Mango update even if it was still NoDo when purchased: VZW will recognize its as-yet non-updated status and notify that an update is available. May not be immediate- still no sign of an update for me, but I have RTM mango so whenever it shows up is fine

Range of trophy prices including one penny on amazonwireless or some such
Check other threads on trophy price on this forum. No need to wait for new phones (none announced yet for VZW) to find one for just about free...and new rather than used. Very helpful reviews in several places: Amazon.com and verizon's own website. Good luck!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Buying it outright on Ebay is a good idea. It won't tie her up into a 2 year contract. If she doesn't like it, resell it on Ebay and start over at step 1. :cool:

Mike48236

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
My Mom seems to have lots (lots!) of issues understanding newer technology, and needs her hand held to do just about anything (which is frustrating because she also likes using technology).

I had her get a Trophy and she *loves* it! She seems to be doing really great with it. And the only thing I have had to help her with is applying the Mango update.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Great phone for anyone who doesnt care about/follow tech (or does for that matter). I got my GF one and she absolutely loves it, super easy to get the hang of, big giant tiles that give information rather than fumbling around lookin for an app to open. I'm very impressed with WP.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree with this post.

Great phone for anyone who doesnt care about/follow tech (or does for that matter). I got my GF one and she absolutely loves it, super easy to get the hang of, big giant tiles that give information rather than fumbling around lookin for an app to open. I'm very impressed with WP.

Like a fool, I sold the Trophy I got from MS for 1 cent to make some money. I knew I made a mistake when I activated my old Fascinate. I just won a Trophy on eBay and can't wait to get it. My favorite saying regarding WP7 is "IT JUST WORKS". I think your mother would fall in love with the ease of use. I bet she learns to be a techie before you know it.;)

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree, the Trophy is a solid choice. The UI is simple to navigate, excellent build quality, RF is as good as my previous BB. And what I like about WP7, even though you have to create a Windows live account to activate the phone, you are not completely tied to it.
I still use my Yahoo account for email and photos and Gmail to sync my contacts (Picasa and Windows do not play well together). Good luck with your choice. :)
And one last note, I would suggest a screen protector if you get the Trophy. If it is Gorilla glass which I doubt, it will still scratch. Just ask me. ;)
And I am still (im) patiently awaiting Mango.

Last edited:

johaas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Like a fool, I sold the Trophy I got from MS for 1 cent to make some money. I knew I made a mistake when I activated my old Fascinate. I just won a Trophy on eBay and can't wait to get it. My favorite saying regarding WP7 is "IT JUST WORKS". I think your mother would fall in love with the ease of use. I bet she learns to be a techie before you know it.;)

What happened for you to switch back to the Fascinate - were you drunk at the time? :)
Seriously, I've been suffering with the Fascinate for just under a year now; we have a very bittersweet relationship. The software is a buggy mess, I've had to pull the battery out more times than you can imagine, and it seems like a huge "F you" from Verizon to it's customers, but dang...when I look into those eyes (it's Super AMOLED screen) my heart melts. I'm awaiting the day when I can wrest myself free from this abusive relationship and start a new life with a Windows Phone mistress.

Oh, gotta go - phone's ringing. Coming dear!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon