Does the Trophy support flash now with Mango?

engineer2001

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I am reading of how the Trophy is so much better now with Mango, so I assume it's out now (Mango, I mean)? Last time I asked, Mango was a rumor, and there was no Flash support in the WP7 IE browser. Mango was supposed to bring IE9 with Flash support. Did that happen?

I am thinking of going with a BlackBerry Torch or the HTC Trophy, and the Trophy is cheaper and looks nicer to me. Looks like it has better architecture. I used to like my BB Tour, and I currently like Android (my current phone is a Droid Incredible), but I like trying new things and am not married to any OS.

If WP7 doesn't support Flash now, I will probably just go with the BB Torch (also no Flash support) or whatever Android device gets more than 8 hours of battery life with actual usage (if there is one, lol). I am a media hog, text 30-40 messages per day, get dozens of emails daily, and I use about 2-3GB of 3G data each month streaming video and music. I am a bit tired of charging this Incredible with extended battery pack, and I heard WP7 had better battery life.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

engineer2001

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh, ok, thank you for the info! I use a lot of Flash-based sites and site features (like ShopSafe on Bank of America's website) that I need often. I am trying to convince myself that I am near "real computers" enough to not need it on my phone, but I'm not too sure about that.

I already convinced myself that I didn't need 4G LTE, since it seems all the phones that support it have terrible battery life.

Man, I wish WP7 had a browser with Flash support!

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought I would miss Flash, but I haven't really missed it. Any particular reason you want Flash? I would say, don't let the lack of Flash make you miss out. Like you said, the BB doesn't have Flash, neither does iOS.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you visit a lot of flash sites on your current phone? When I used a Motorola droid I bragged about my phone having flash capability but in reality I seldom visited sites requiring flash and when I did they didn't work well.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

engineer2001

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I actually use my phone more than any other computer for web browsing. I guess that's why my battery dies so fast.

I use Bank of America's flash-based ShopSafe feature to generate one-time-use Visa credit card numbers for all my online purchases, and I really can't give that up. I have been notified twice now that someone tried to use one of my old ShopSafe numbers to make a later (fraudulent) purchase, so it is a layer of protection that really works.

Plus, I watch DailyMotion videos sometimes and YouTube videos (Caillou, etc.) with my daughter, and those are Flash-based as well. I know there's a YouTube app for most platforms, but the Android one stinks. I can't go full-screen or anything without it freezing a lot - audio continues, but video freezes. So, I end up using the browser version of the site instead.

In other words, I consume a lot of Flash content and can't really do without it on my phone unless I had an Android tablet, laptop, or something else that does Flash with me in addition to my phone.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. When WP gets Flash, I'm going to be on it like white on rice. LOL

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
FYI, DailyMotion supports HTML5 video so you can browse and watch videos from the browser without Flash. Youtube on WP works pretty well and there are several good alternative YouTube apps if you don't like the official one. So you may not need Flash as much as you think :)

Unfortunately, you're probably out of luck on ShopSafe though. But seriously, what kind of banking application uses Flash? It just seems totally unnecessary to me. Maybe if you contact them you can find out if they're planning on ever releasing a non Flash version.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb