To Trophy or Not to Trophy?

Cybersonic

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a good friend who I've pretty much sold on getting a windows phone...... only problem is that he is stuck with Verizion as his family is moving to a family plan at the end of this month and he has to chose his phone by then.

We do have LTE where we live and in his home town.

If you had to decide:

Trophy or not to Trophy?

zhelf

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well given the situation and that he has to decide by the end of the month i say Trophy or buy a used trophy and save the upgrade.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep, Trophy is a good, stable phone. But I do expect that Verizon will have other offerings by summer. If your friend can buy a Trophy off contract and then resell it later this year when new devices are available on-contract, that would be a best bet. Maybe a $50-75 loss overall, but you get what you want for the next two years.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I would buy the trophy off contract. It's a solid phone, but I wouldn't want to commit to it for two years right now.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I concur with everyone else - the Trophy is a worthy device to get right now (I know I'm happy with it), but it will be outdated for a decent portion of a 2 year contact period if you buy it now (in large part because of the lack of 4G LTE and, I think, no ability to upgrade to Apollo/Windows Phone 8 OS when that time comes). Your friend should try to buy a Trophy off-contract (unless he's willing/able to buy a new WP off-contract later this year when Verizon's WP line-up will likely be stronger/a lot stronger).

Last edited:

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I just bought one for $190 on eBay to hold me over until Verizon gets a new WP. So that's the route I'd recommend, like most others said.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The Trophy is basically free on contract if you're entitled to an upgrade. If you keep the thing for a year and then decide to upgrade, it's $120 off the $350 ETF, so $230 to keep the phone for a year (less if you end up keeping it longer).

That said, it's a good, solid phone. The radio can be a little weak at times, and I think 3G speeds are completely fine (I am not a heavy internet user). Battery life is great for a non-Blackberry.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I think the idea of buying it off contract is a good one. I really like the trophy, and I can even live with 3g speeds. I don't know what I would need 4g for. I can stream music and download what I need just fine over 3g.

If your friend really has to have a 4g phone now he could go for the rezound or galaxy nexus, but if he wants WP, he'll have to wait to get it with LTE. Keep in mind that we have no idea when Verizon will get another WP device.

That said, the trophy is an awesome device. I am liking it over my droid x right now (and I really do like android and the droid x so that is saying a lot).

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss