Trophy review coming from Galaxy Nexus

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a Trophy and I'm impressed. 16GB of storage and WP7, you can't go wrong. Coming from the Galaxy Nexus I actually welcome the smaller form factor and may think twice about getting another big phone.

The screen seems a little washed out compared to OLED, but the sharpness and gradients seem better on the Trophy.

The phone doesn't seem any slower or limited compared to the Nexus. I'll be keeping the Trophy until the next round of phones on Verizon.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow. That is saying a lot. I honestly believe the Trophy to be one of the (if not the) worst Windows Phones ever mass produced. However, the Galaxy Nexus is one of the newest Android phones (with ICS, even).

I think that shows just how much better WP7.5 is than ICS. It can take sub-par hardware and make it stand its ground against phones that are generations ahead.

By the way, I completely agree with you on the screen. I let my friend borrow my Focus because looking at it and then seeing the Trophy's screen just made me depressed, lol. Another thing I wish the Trophy had was better camera software. I cannot get over the fact that there is no white-balance.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the Nexus is just too big. It's impossible to use one handed.

I made a similar switch, though I also own an iPhone4s, but I have a history with WP7 - I bought a Focus on the day they came available on AT&T, tossed it back, bought a Dell Venue Pro, and eventually gave up on it as well. I bought the Trophy on a whim from eBay and I'm quite pleased with it so far.

Mango makes a big difference for WP7 (as I'm sure most here would acknowledge). The Trophy's performance is perfectly acceptable, camera quality seems to be pretty good (much better than the DVP) and in general everything just seems to work.

The only thing I mess from the GNex is LTE. Hopefully VZW will add a WP& LTE device in the near future - as I understand it they've basically told manufacturers that without LTE, phones no longer get onto the VZW network. You really can't appreciate that speed until you have it, then you realize just how big a difference it makes.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I miss LTE too. It's surprisingly fast. I was averaging 8.5Mbps downloading things. Any idea why the LTE phones are huge right now? If a phone maker could make an LTE Windows phone the size of the Trophy I think it'd sell well.

I've seen a couple girls carrying Droid Xs and Galaxy Nexus phones. I don't know how they can stand them. Girl pants have tiny pockets and it'd probably take up space in a purse.

Yea I find it hilarious the Trophy is as good as the ICS flagship phone. Even when I activated the Trophy the operator was confused why I was "downgrading". Bigger isn't always better folks.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I miss LTE too. It's surprisingly fast. I was averaging 8.5Mbps downloading things. Any idea why the LTE phones are huge right now? If a phone maker could make an LTE Windows phone the size of the Trophy I think it'd sell well.

Maybe the extra hardware and bigger battery? Then again, look at the Droid RAZR. I don't know how battery life was on that phone, but now they've come out with the RAZR Maxx.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I've seen a couple girls carrying Droid Xs and Galaxy Nexus phones. I don't know how they can stand them. Girl pants have tiny pockets and it'd probably take up space in a purse.

Yea I find it hilarious the Trophy is as good as the ICS flagship phone. Even when I activated the Trophy the operator was confused why I was "downgrading". Bigger isn't always better folks.

For some bigger is better... Before I knew about wp7, I wanted an iPhone until I tried typing on one. I would like to try an 800 to see if the superior software keyboard of WP7 could make a smaller device useable for me. (that, and it's just sexy) And for the record, I'm not a big guy (about 5'9" tall) and I have no problem whatsoever using my HD7 one-handed.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the extra hardware and bigger battery? Then again, look at the Droid RAZR. I don't know how battery life was on that phone, but now they've come out with the RAZR Maxx.

The RAZR Maxx looks interesting. If you had a Windows Phone with a battery that size you'd probably get a good 3-4 days of charge out of it. The RAZR Maxx has a 3300mAh battery where the HTC Trophy has a 1300mAh battery.

You're right about the bigger hardware. It looks like smaller LTE chips are coming in Q2 2012. AnandTech - Why No LTE iPhone 5 in 2011? Blame 28nm Maturity, Check Back In Q2/Q3 2012

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The RAZR Maxx looks interesting. If you had a Windows Phone with a battery that size you'd probably get a good 3-4 days of charge out of it. The RAZR Maxx has a 3300mAh battery where the HTC Trophy has a 1300mAh battery.

Yeah, that would be great. My Titan has a 1600mAh battery and I went from full charge at 2:15PM yesterday, and at around 5PM today it 55% left. I've been trying to drain the battery completely to recalibrate the battery meter but since I get such good battery life, it's been taking awhile lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99