Data Connection on Pay as you go SIM

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Selected Orange SIM and activated with plan that has data in UK while visiting. Voice and text work fine but cannot get a 3G connection. Have verified setup is set so data connection is on and set to 3g for cellular. Anything else anyone can suggest.

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
You may need to setup the APN for Orange, or use the HTC connection application. Either download (via WiFi) and use the application, or head to settings => mobile network (or cellular) => and at bottom tap edit apn. Once there input these values:

APN: orangeinternet
Username: Orange
Password: Multimedia

Now you should have access to their data network.

NOTE: You will need to revert your settings upon returning to your country.
Didnt seem to work. Tried both. I've got 8107 and latest updates from Verizon on board.

Tried both the Connection application and manually setting these.

ALso tried settings in GPRS Connectivity - Information and UK Settings for orange but it shows the 3g icon but doesnt want to allow use on browser.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Do you know what 3G frequencies Orange uses in the UK? I've used Orange in France and they use UMTS 900 / 2100 MHz for 3G. I would think that they use the same frequencies in the UK for 3G, but I don't know for sure. Does the Verizon Trophy support UMTS 900 / 2100 MHz for 3G?

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Got it sorted. Used HTC connection changed to Orange ensured the APN settin where there.

3g was showing but I think the key seemed to be having to do a power reboot after changing. This seemed to do the trick.

I dont think I'd done the power roboot after using HTC Connection or chnaging the cellular provider.

I have data connection now....

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Got it sorted. Used HTC connection changed to Orange ensured the APN settin where there.

3g was showing but I think the key seemed to be having to do a power reboot after changing. This seemed to do the trick.

I dont think I'd done the power roboot after using HTC Connection or chnaging the cellular provider.

I have data connection now....

Glad to hear you got it working. :cool:

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Now all I gotta hope is the verizon data connection works when I get back to the states.... ;-)

Orange didnt seem to know anything about the Trophy - when I called them although its not one of there phones and is a bit of a weird one because of the CDMA.

So I'm glad I was able to resolve and at least this should provide clues to anyone else who experiences problems with 3g data connections.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Now all I gotta hope is the verizon data connection works when I get back to the states.... ;-)

Orange didnt seem to know anything about the Trophy - when I called them although its not one of there phones and is a bit of a weird one because of the CDMA.

So I'm glad I was able to resolve and at least this should provide clues to anyone else who experiences problems with 3g data connections.

I am not sure which carrier have them over there. I have an unbranded/unlocked GSM only Trophy from Germany. I bought it an import.

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
On return to US - switched to CDMA - used HTC Connection software and selected Verizon. Data didnt work. Did a power reset of the phone and everything worked just fine.

So I now know the key is power reset. The data on Orange Pay as you go worked out just great with the chaos at heathrow airport yesterday. Was able to amuse myself for 5 hours.

At least we have a working world phone now....

I do now want a Nokia 900 phone - the only thing that I dont like about the trophy is the Camera.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
On return to US - switched to CDMA - used HTC Connection software and selected Verizon. Data didnt work. Did a power reset of the phone and everything worked just fine.

So I now know the key is power reset. The data on Orange Pay as you go worked out just great with the chaos at heathrow airport yesterday. Was able to amuse myself for 5 hours.

At least we have a working world phone now....

I do now want a Nokia 900 phone - the only thing that I dont like about the trophy is the Camera.

I wonder if using a non-Verizon SIM whole overseas helps? If the phone locks on a tower abroad w/ VZW SIM, that prompts need for factory reset. If you use local SIM overseas, does that make a difference? It seems like it might, if all you needed was a POWER reset rather than a FACTORY reset. (of course I moved on from Trophy a while back, but I am a scientist - I need to learn & understand. Its how I roll.)

Palandri, any thoughts?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if using a non-Verizon SIM whole overseas helps? If the phone locks on a tower abroad w/ VZW SIM, that prompts need for factory reset. If you use local SIM overseas, does that make a difference? It seems like it might, if all you needed was a POWER reset rather than a FACTORY reset. (of course I moved on from Trophy a while back, but I am a scientist - I need to learn & understand. Its how I roll.)

Palandri, any thoughts?

Not really, I've never had a dual band CDMA/GSM phone, only GSM. Didn't the Verizon get a recent update to fix that? That's all I can think of.

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I doubt the network provider for the SIM card has anything to do with the need to power reset the phone. My thought is that the settings are changed but it requires a power startup to take those into account. There is no indication when chnaging these settings that this is the case however the fact that both CDMA -> GSM and the GSM->CDMA on return to US required power reset to make the 3g data connections indicates this is probably the case.

I think the 8107 + radio updates along with the HTC connection software updates were required but at least they work now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb